Can I go from outside to in then back out?

• Thread starter Cloudnine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cloudnine

This is my first post here, I don't have a lot of experiance but I know some and I'm always ready to learn some new things. Anyhow, when I started my outdoor plants the weather was nice and sunny, was also very warm. Its been cool at night so every night I've been bringing the plants in, now its cold during the day and is pouring cats and dogs. I put one plant out one day to see what would happen and it just straight died. It has now stopped raining but its 38 degrees outside and it isn't supposed to warm up until mid next week. Can I put these things under my spare lights that I have until the weather gets better for them to go back outside?

K

kolah

Just make sure you match the lighting to the same times as the natural light they were exposed to. Also when moving plants form inside to outside it's recommended that you slowly wean them into the outdoors elements...starting with just a few hours in the sun and wind, etc...and then increase it as ya go.
Weed is a pretty hardy plant. Good genetics are key as are matching plants to your climate and elevation.

I have found that MJ can take temps to around 40 degrees but they really start to shut down. They can even take colder temps but a lot depends on your area, dew points and RH. Of course younger plants may not do as well so be cautious. I'd keep them inside for now and even a nice window would suffice for nice natural sunlight or you can use some CFL's or T-5's to keep them vegging just long enough until your weather breaks. Hope that helps somewhat.

C

Cloudnine

That answers it spot on, I have them sitting in the window for now and they seem to be doing ok. They're seedlings so I was very cautious about leaving them outside when it is this cold outside. I have a closet and some spare CFLS so I was going to throw them in there. Thanks for the answer though!

K

kolah

I prefer natural sunlight even if it's not directly in the sun or in sunny weather as it's my belief you catch more lumens from sunlight in comparison to smaller CFL set-ups. I find that weak CFL lighting makes them a bit stretchy with weak stems. No matter how you choose to light them just make sure they get 16 hours of light to keep them from flowering. You make want to try GST (Gas Lantern Technique) as well ( a quick search here on the Farm will give you more info on the topic). Good luck, outdoor growing is a challenge but IMO the best way to grow (cheap as all hell too)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is my first post here, I don't have a lot of experiance but I know some and I'm always ready to learn some new things. Anyhow, when I started my outdoor plants the weather was nice and sunny, was also very warm. Its been cool at night so every night I've been bringing the plants in, now its cold during the day and is pouring cats and dogs. I put one plant out one day to see what would happen and it just straight died. It has now stopped raining but its 38 degrees outside and it isn't supposed to warm up until mid next week. Can I put these things under my spare lights that I have until the weather gets better for them to go back outside?
You can, but it can also cause problems. Assuming these are seedlings and you don't need to do anything more than match the daylight photoperiod, in essence, yes. I've yet to have cold kill any of my plants, but hot & dry does it without fail.

Top Bottom