Can I help answer anyone's cooling questions?

• Thread starter water wise guy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

seebobsled

Yes plenums are two six inch round to 5"x10" on each side for intake and a 8" round to 12"x14" for the outtake. My though was not only cycle the ac a little more but condensate on outside of the outtake hot duct by blowing the room cold air past and collect it in the bottom of the chamber that is around the outtake. I hear people having duct sweating all the time I want to control it in a insulated chamber. sorry will work on some pics.
thanks

F

fondiz

No problem at all brotha, good luck with everything! I think you'll be really happy with water-cooling and it sounds like you are going at it right. BTW what pump and reservoir you going with?

I was using two 750gph submersible pumps but those failed on me this summer and messed up my chiller. Good thing it was covered under warranty.
I bought a Flotec 1/2hp centrifugal pump to replace the submersible pumps. I have a 105gal vertical poly water storage tank that i am gonna wrap with a r-11 water heater blanket. the tank has a lid that screws on secure. I plan on building a insulated cap to put over the top of water tank to complete the insulation on water tank

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I was using two 750gph submersible pumps but those failed on me this summer and messed up my chiller. Good thing it was covered under warranty.
I bought a Flotec 1/2hp centrifugal pump to replace the submersible pumps. I have a 105gal vertical poly water storage tank that i am gonna wrap with a r-11 water heater blanket. the tank has a lid that screws on secure. I plan on building a insulated cap to put over the top of water tank to complete the insulation on water tank

Wow that is a powerful pump for 2 liquid lumens. Have you already installed it? Make sure to put in a water bypass to relieve some of the pressure that the pump will create. A water bypass is just an extra water outlet that runs straight to the res, you can use one of the front ports to do that. Without it you may overpressurize the system and cause the LL to leak.

You could instead use a flotec 4/10 th submersible pump instead and cut your amperage and noise level in half...from 10 amps to less than 5 amps. You would have more than enough flow and those pumps will run forever.

Your res sounds perfect, check out www.usplastics.com, they have really inexpensive ping pong style balls that float on top of the water made for insulating reservoirs. Not necessary though, floating a piece of styrofoam on top does a pretty good job too and is cheap.

F

fondiz

I planned on plumbing the main port to the chiller. the chiller i have has a min of 500gph and a max of 4500gph rating. Then I was going to plumb the smaller front port to the liquid lumens. I spoke with the guys from Hydro Innovations a couple of times, they said it should be cool. I bought the flotec because i really plan on upgrading to either 1hp or 2hp chillking chiller and then add another 1 or 2k lights. but that is in a little while. I have a 1/6th hp flotec submersible pump that i have as a backup sump pump.
would that be enough to run the chiller and lights?

S

seebobsled

Yes plenums are two six inch round to 5"x10" on each side for intake and a 8" round to 12"x14" for the outtake. My though was not only cycle the ac a little more but condensate on outside of the outtake hot duct by blowing the room cold air past and collect it in the bottom of the chamber that is around the outtake. I hear people having duct sweating all the time I want to control it in a insulated chamber. sorry will work on some pics.
thanks

ahh some pics so far ...

Very cool, keep us posted on the performance. I'm really interested.

F

fondiz

Your res sounds perfect, check out www.usplastics.com, they have really inexpensive ping pong style balls that float on top of the water made for insulating reservoirs. Not necessary though, floating a piece of styrofoam on top does a pretty good job too and is cheap.

thanks again. great website, i really like the ping pong ball idea just wish they sold them in smaller qty. lol.

W

water wise guy

would i be able to run 2k lights with Liquid Lumen hydroreflectors with a 1/2hp chiller and an insulated 105gal rez efficiently? the chiller is going to be outside and the rez is going to be in another room. chiller is a tru 6k btu cooling with titanium heat exchanger.
I have a 12kbtu split ac to cool the room. is the 1/2hp chiller enough for 2k watts of lights?

this is right on the edge yes it will work but the water will warm slightly during on cycle and then cool off during the off cycle. this means the chiller will be running non-stop for atleast 15 hours during a 12 hr light cycle which is not good for it and will shorten its life but it will work in a pinch.

F

fondiz

thanks alot water wise guy. i gotta get through this run and i'll be able to get a 1 or 2hp chiller after this winter

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks

Hmmmm, seems like it might not be worth the trouble to try and condensate the box too, unless you got plenty of time on your hands :) Not sure if you will get enough out to make it worth it.

W

water wise guy

gain not worth labor

ahh some pics so far ...

this is one of those things that will work and yes it will pull a small amount of moisture out of your system but for all the work and hassle to do it it realy isn't woth it. what i am saying is that the gain is not worth all the work and time it will take.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I planned on plumbing the main port to the chiller. the chiller i have has a min of 500gph and a max of 4500gph rating. Then I was going to plumb the smaller front port to the liquid lumens. I spoke with the guys from Hydro Innovations a couple of times, they said it should be cool. I bought the flotec because i really plan on upgrading to either 1hp or 2hp chillking chiller and then add another 1 or 2k lights. but that is in a little while. I have a 1/6th hp flotec submersible pump that i have as a backup sump pump.
would that be enough to run the chiller and lights?

Ahhhh, ya that will work and the 1/2hp will still work later on even with more lights and the CK 2hp. Wow I'm surprised that the chiller can flow that much! That works out pretty well considering the flotec only flows about 2300 GPH.

F

fondiz

I was wondering if i would have any problems with the chiller being outdoors during the winter months? it freezes a few times every winter. Would the 1/2hp flotec have enough flow rate to keep the chiller from freezing up components? the water loop for the chiller shouldn't be more than 4ft. i was reading about using glycol but that would be mean like 30gal -55gal depending on 30-50% ratio. i dont know about spending $850+ on glycol

H

headinwest

i am planning a sealed grow in a 53 foot reefer trailer. plan to use 12 1000 watt. aproximately 3000 cubic ft trailer has diiesel a/c unit with electric standby. can you give me your thoughts on this thank you

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I think that it sounds fun but we need some more details though.

1.What size a/c do you have for the trailer?
2. Are you air-cooling cooling the lights at all?
3. I'm assuming that it will be parked outdoors, what is the climate like there? Will it at least sit in the shade? With no shade that trailer will absorb some BTU's if its hot outside.
4. Ballast inside or outside the growing area?
5. For co2 you using bottles or generator?

S

seebobsled

progress on diy standalone ac

ahh some pics so far ...

Well didn't try the booster I just insulated it with R 6.0 duct sleeve. It does work well but not on really hot days.That is my fault for trying to re purpose what I had.I need more b.t.u. s to compensate crappy rental and all house is south facing a strip of rooms basically.

S

seebobsled

adding water cooling

I am looking to run better. Air cooling isn't working well having a large window box for incoming air to get sun baked before entering the duct.I don't want to install a mini-split in a rental but two hoses is ok to patch. Fresca Sol to cool lights. My thought is to remove all the ducting for air to hoses for water = more room and control. Is the chill kings really quite and worth the coin ? I did the b.t.u. calculate and it said 24000 btu for all. That means 2 ton chiller, is there chillers quite like a mini-split inverter ? I will do the chiller calculation on equipment running for water temp change for chiller btu . I want to buy once.
Thanks for all thoughts.
Bob

W

water wise guy

i am planning a sealed grow in a 53 foot reefer trailer. plan to use 12 1000 watt. aproximately 3000 cubic ft trailer has diiesel a/c unit with electric standby. can you give me your thoughts on this thank you

need more info what size a/c? are you cooling the light at all water or air? what climate arte you in? are all lights running at the same time?

W

water wise guy

I am looking to run better. Air cooling isn't working well having a large window box for incoming air to get sun baked before entering the duct.I don't want to install a mini-split in a rental but two hoses is ok to patch. Fresca Sol to cool lights. My thought is to remove all the ducting for air to hoses for water = more room and control. Is the chill kings really quite and worth the coin ? I did the b.t.u. calculate and it said 24000 btu for all. That means 2 ton chiller, is there chillers quite like a mini-split inverter ? I will do the chiller calculation on equipment running for water temp change for chiller btu . I want to buy once.
Thanks for all thoughts.
Bob

fresca sols and chill king is the way to go. how many fixtures and what size are you running? what other sources of heat do you have in the room? what climate are you in? also always remember to size your chiller atleast 20% larger than needed. once you get the water cooled set-up correctly you will be a very happy gardener.

S

seebobsled

fresca sols and chill king is the way to go. how many fixtures and what size are you running? what other sources of heat do you have in the room? what climate are you in? also always remember to size your chiller atleast 20% larger than needed. once you get the water cooled set-up correctly you will be a very happy gardener.

I got 4 to but start with two fresca sols with 1k's digital ballasts in 4x8 tent and a month later start another 4x8 just the same but on flips.The veg area is a 5x6 closet with 400 watts of 4 ft t8 florescence lights.I was thinking one 8" ice box with 500cfm booster fan in each tent and maybe one in the closet for ambient temp control.I have a water cooled co2 and bottles.I think I should plumb for it when making the manifold and not over complicate things and use the bottle for now.Also 65 pint dehumidifier will be in tent till can set a rez below the dew point just for the ice boxes to set up to drain in controller bucket in tent.I am running the cap ebb n grows.The room is facing south so sun most of the day.Not much insulation just some blown fiber glass 2 to 3 inch thick on ceiling not sure in walls but not interior walls.I am thinking a 1-2 inch foam board r6 or r12 to help block the sun on south wall with the 3x8ft single pane windows two 2ft' slider on each side .

Any info for sensors to diy a flow,temp shutdown and flood control for cheap?

Latest posts

Top Bottom