Can i prepare living soil that I'll reutilize?

• Thread starter radagast
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
radagast

radagast

I have the ambition of growing one mother plant in an organic living soil, taking clones out of it and raising them up to harvest too in organic living soil. My plan is to use companion plants, fungi, bacteria and whatever life i can to further boost my soil, much like it would be in the outdoor enviroment, but in a controlled room. One post i read talked about a guy that had 6-year-old soil and every time he planted from seed had stronger and healthier plants.

Is it possible to re-utilize the soil that i planted and harvested from?

P

PahPahCee

Yeah totally. People are rocking living soil that is almost a decade old. They claim it just gets better with time.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Cannabis depletes nutrients from soil quite a bit and you will most likely need to amend just as you would in a field. Nitrogen mostly but also calcium probably. The rest you could probably maintain minimally in the right soil mix recipe. Sodium in the field is allowed to leach and in greenhouse or indoor is not. Reuse your soil in the garden on lesser value plants and make fresh every run depending on soil volume imo if you want consistency and quality

radagast

radagast

Yeah totally. People are rocking living soil that is almost a decade old. They claim it just gets better with time.
I've seen these claims, but i have no idea on how to prepare them to last that long even with companion planting. DO you have any good material or thread discussing that?

Cannabis depletes nutrients from soil quite a bit and you will most likely need to amend just as you would in a field. Nitrogen mostly but also calcium probably. The rest you could probably maintain minimally in the right soil mix recipe. Sodium in the field is allowed to leach and in greenhouse or indoor is not. Reuse your soil in the garden on lesser value plants and make fresh every run depending on soil volume imo if you want consistency and quality
I didn't want to keep buying a whole new fresh soil neither to reutilize it in other gardening stuff, but on cannabis cultivation. My idea with companion planting and proper management is that they will serve as soil cover, nutrients capitation and such. Thanks for the input!

BB22

BB22

Had this same question myself.

Maybe not exactly the same question, but close. FFOF used in a five gallon fabric pot…

I can amend with fresh ffof or synthetic nutes?

That’s my plan anyway

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
DO you have any good material or thread discussing that?
Mic drop😉
https://www.invalid.com/t/one-pink-lemonade-no-till-cycle-7-in-4-foot-diameter-pot-5x5-tent.1028655/
Roll it up . Org no spaces is the website.
Guess it won't let me post the site on here.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
^^^ That thread has exactly what your looking for.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I didn't want to keep buying a whole new fresh soil neither to reutilize it in other gardening stuff, but on cannabis cultivation. My idea with companion planting and proper management is that they will serve as soil cover, nutrients capitation and such. Thanks for the input!

Careful not to be lead by people who don't live in reality. If you are into science projects than by all means, but if you want to grow, I would learn how to make a high quality soil mix yourself on the cheap and learn how nutrients interact with each other. I have seen a lot of living soil threads and think they are cool for learning but if you want to grow dank, then start with fresh soil everytime or you will be chasing your tail at every turn. Just my two cents so take it for what it is worth.

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I have the ambition of growing one mother plant in an organic living soil, taking clones out of it and raising them up to harvest too in organic living soil. My plan is to use companion plants, fungi, bacteria and whatever life i can to further boost my soil, much like it would be in the outdoor enviroment, but in a controlled room. One post i read talked about a guy that had 6-year-old soil and every time he planted from seed had stronger and healthier plants.

Is it possible to re-utilize the soil that i planted and harvested from?
I reuse my living soil have been reusing for 3 years now a soil test is key have you ever heard of Bio char? Research that 👍

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Homesteaders is right if your just starting to grow you should just go with an easy organic soil to make.
I just use Gaia green mixed with promix. Super easy.
You can toss it after every run like @Shaded_One does. Or you can re amend it with half ingredients you originally used for your mix after your flower run is done. This is what I do. It works well. But like michgander9 said a soil test makes it alot easier to know what to put in.

If your experienced you could try what that dude Norwood does over at roll it up. It's probably one of the best grow journals over there. It's like the Guys got a slice of a field in his grow tent...lol

P

PahPahCee

there is a lot of commercial ops doing living soil. In Colorado it’s becoming the norm. 710 labs sells their living soil product for a premium.

I don’t want to give too much advice since I haven’t dived fully into it yet. You need a large volume of soil, at least 30 gallons. You need a good soil to start with. I would probably do a coots mix soil. You should also know your tap water reports and how it’ll affect your soil over time, or only use RO. Cover crops are important but I haven’t researched this enough.

I’ve heard humidity can be very difficult to control with such a large volume of soil in a small room. So prepare to run a large Dehum if indoors.

I always thought this room looked so dope. Each 4x4 is on castors, it’s slick. I honestly didn’t really watch the video just thought it looked cool. I found it here: https://www.redbudsoilcompany.com/b...-a-ghetto-hugelkultur-living-soil-bed-indoors

MDK

MDK

A good thing I'd say to research is biochar and Amazonian Terra preta soil...they got soil that has been potent for 8000 years

Top Bottom