Can I run my 4 bulb Badboy T-5 with only 2 bulbs?

• Thread starter Max Frost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Max Frost

Max Frost

Or will this burn something up? The light is configured so that it has 2 "rows" of 2 bulbs each. There are two ballasts so apparently...a ballast for each pair of bulbs. (Impressive, aren't I?) lol. Is it safe to do this or would it be a fire hazard? Thanks in advance!

Max

Max Frost

Max Frost

Bump-a-lump!

Thanks, Sea!

They just use wire nuts on those lights. If you are worried about the ballast just take it off line. They are not wired in series. JK

Thanks JK! Unfortunately, I'm a complete blooming idiot when it comes to anything electrical! I'm afraid I didn't understand a bit of that. I hope you don't mind if I ask you to clarify for me...

A. What are "wire nuts" & why would they matter?
B. How would you "take it offline"? Do I have to unwire something?
C. Wired in series? That's opposed to being wired in parallel...right? (I'm amazed I even knew that!) I'm clueless as to what they mean, though. Why would this matter?

I was more just thinking about removing two of the bulbs if it's safe. If I can't do that, I'll probably just use it like it is. I'm afraid I'd either screw something up, or charco-broil my ass if I go messin' around inside! I probably should have phrased my q differently. I probably should have just said:

Is it safe to remove 2 of the bulbs and if so, do I need to remove one from each side, or two from the same side?

Thanks so much!

Max

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Max,have you tried just putting 2 bulbs in and testing if they come on?I know there are 2 ballasts so i assume one for each side,give it a try.You used to be able to access the owners manual online but i beleive they were owned by R&M and they went out of business so the website has been down.

J

Jalisco Kid

Your fine, but if you are worried you can remove that cover right above the bulbs. First unplug the light from the wall. Have your girlfriend pull the pin on an extinguisher and point it at you. You should see where your power is coming in. It is usually joined here with 2 other wires that go to your ballasts. Usually you can turn these plastic cap looking thing things counter clockwise or towards your left. Remove this wire and connect re-screw wire nut back on and give it 3 wraps with Electrical tape.Also on the end of the wire you removed. You could put a on/off sw on there to solve this. JK
Google

Max Frost

Max Frost

Thanks for the helpful info and suggestions guys!

JK -- LMAO @ fire extinguisher!!! :D If you understood better about my electrical aptitude...you'd realize it's not a joke! :hungover: I have decided I'm going to unplug it and pop it open this weekend. I may not be brave enough to actually monkey with anything, but I'm going to have a look anyway. I'll let you know how that goes...assuming I don't burn the computer up! Thanks again!

Max Frost

Max Frost

For anyone interested...I've been running it now for several days after just unscrewing a bulb on one side. That side is non-operational now, while the two bulbs on the other side look no different than they ever did, and are functioning fine. It hasn't seemed to hurt anything to do this. In fact, the top of the unit (where the ballasts are housed) is MUCH, much cooler than usual! This is the only effect I can discern.

Thanks to everyone who posted! I appreciate your time & assistance!

Best,

Max :wacky:

Top Bottom