Can I start drying in a Lit Tent?

• Thread starter Budclarkson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budclarkson

It looks like my “Drying” Tent will still be tied up with a 2nd grow and have some plants from the grow tent that I need to start harvesting and drying till the others are doneZ

Can I dry in a lit tent and hang from the top above the LED lighting?

If not can I put it in a bag or box with some holes for airflow?

BB22

BB22

My Rh in the tent, or in the house is almost the same for the most part. I just hang up for a few days/week.

P

Putthataway

I don’t think it sounds like a good idea. I have also read that the plant is still alive when you cut it. I don’t know how true that is but that’s where you get clones cutting from the plant so it somewhat makes sense to me.

B

Budclarkson

My Rh in the tent, or in the house is almost the same for the most part. I just hang up for a few days/week.
Right but the problem is the smell. Even with the tents filtered with XL charcoal the wife’s spidey senses picks it up.

Any ideas on some non-floral smelling manly spray dispenser to mask it?

What about the box idea? I could probably suck air thru it with a hose and some fan.

Newty

Newty

Any chance you have room for another small tent? Just big enough for you to dry in? You would still have to filter the smell with a carbon filter but just a thought.

I wonder if making a box or something and lining it with cut to fit carbon filter sheets would help with smell?

B

Budclarkson

Any chance you have room for another small tent? Just big enough for you to dry in? You would still have to filter the smell with a carbon filter but just a thought.

I wonder if making a box or something and lining it with cut to fit carbon filter sheets would help with smell?
Not really and I don’t want to spend another couple hundred or so for a 3rd.

Thinking about throwing it in a box up top for a week or so.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
Not really and I don’t want to spend another couple hundred or so for a 3rd.

Thinking about throwing it in a box up top for a week or so.
I used a closet once when I was in a pinch like yourself. And the scent of cannabis.. no way around it, all part of the goodness.

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

As mentioned by others i wouldnt go for it.
Maybe something like this DiY'ed Drying Box could help, saw it awhile ago and might do something similar myself.
%Quote%
For those interested, a small compilation:

Box: Ikea Samla, 9.99
Shelf: 2x DRÖNJÖNS shelves each 9.99
Exhaust air: the cheapest tube fan from Amazon
Fan pipe: scrounged by the neighbor
Supply air filter: Printer fine dust filter (I still had one lying around in the basement)
Exhaust air filter: coal pellets from Bearbel

The story is quickly told. Cut a round hole in the lid and install the fan with hot glue. Glue a square hole in the side and the fine dust filter to it. DrönJöns in, power on, Done.

%unquote%

If i would do it myself i prob would just use old PC Fans, and just fill the pipe with filtering material.
But you could also use Charcoal Filtering Mats that should be around 10 bucks in Hardwarestores if you dont wanna go the pipe route and save some space while storing/not in use.

M

monkey47

It looks like my “Drying” Tent will still be tied up with a 2nd grow and have some plants from the grow tent that I need to start harvesting and drying till the others are doneZ

Can I dry in a lit tent and hang from the top above the LED lighting?

If not can I put it in a bag or box with some holes for airflow?
I do it all the time. I pregrow for 2 weeks and then flip them to 12/12 so when they are on 18 hours of light and in the same tent as my mother plant.
When I harvest i imediatly change them to my flowering tent and i run a new cycle. I have a round dry net where i dry my buds when the plants on 12/12 are still small I run my ventilator on 100 percent so that it doesent get to warm in the tent and after 3 days i put them in a curring pot and turn my vent down again. after curing I have a great smoke.

I use a 250 watt hps and a dimmable prima klima with max output of 280m3/h

I see now that you are using led lights. then you can definitly dry it for 3 days in your tent while the lights are running.
Some people worry about light breaking down the thc but according to brunce bugbee from utah state university this is not really a factor and light can help protect against fungus which can ruin your harvest. If you are worried about the light just cover the bottom of the dry rack with some newspaper and cover you buds with a couple of layers of newspaper and put a fan right above your drying buds. this way all the moisture that gets in the newspaper disipates in the air quickly and is sucked away.

If you are verry worried about budrot when covering them up remove the top layer of newspaper covering your buds a couple of hours everyday during the light on period.

Last edited:
M

monkey47

Right but the problem is the smell. Even with the tents filtered with XL charcoal the wife’s spidey senses picks it up.

Any ideas on some non-floral smelling manly spray dispenser to mask it?

What about the box idea? I could probably suck air thru it with a hose and some fan.
if smell still comes out you need to up the amount of air that is extracted. if smell comes out you either have a bunky charcoal filter or you drying cabinet has overpresure pusshing the air out trough cracks and seals because you are not extracting enough air at a high enough speed.
With a good carbon filter even a trained dog cant sniff the smell of cannnabis.

Lexstar66

Lexstar66

As mentioned by others i wouldnt go for it.
Maybe something like this DiY'ed Drying Box could help, saw it awhile ago and might do something similar myself.
%Quote%
For those interested, a small compilation:

Box: Ikea Samla, 9.99
Shelf: 2x DRÖNJÖNS shelves each 9.99
Exhaust air: the cheapest tube fan from Amazon
Fan pipe: scrounged by the neighbor
Supply air filter: Printer fine dust filter (I still had one lying around in the basement)
Exhaust air filter: coal pellets from Bearbel

The story is quickly told. Cut a round hole in the lid and install the fan with hot glue. Glue a square hole in the side and the fine dust filter to it. DrönJöns in, power on, Done.

%unquote%

If i would do it myself i prob would just use old PC Fans, and just fill the pipe with filtering material.
But you could also use Charcoal Filtering Mats that should be around 10 bucks in Hardwarestores if you dont wanna go the pipe route and save some space while storing/not in use.
May I ask, why are you drying leaves?

B

Budclarkson

if smell still comes out you need to up the amount of air that is extracted. if smell comes out you either have a bunky charcoal filter or you drying cabinet has overpresure pusshing the air out trough cracks and seals because you are not extracting enough air at a high enough speed.
With a good carbon filter even a trained dog cant sniff the smell of cannnabis.
So I went and checked my controller settings and sure enough the Vent MIN setting was at zero, so no ventilation running when below the humidity threshold set. Changed to 2 and there is definite improvement at least to me. The wife’s spidey senses maybe not LOL, time will tell. Thanks for the comment!

With mixing late flower and drying what temp and humidity can I get away with?

B

Budclarkson

Here is the Blueberry Auto now in week 10. It looks like I can go another week at least?

D0480431 E6EE 4E03 99B2 D57A0C82228E

6198013D 24BC 44EF A749 72F7876EE5C8
1D1CD565 8889 4512 8341 DA1218C90E2A
01D7E302 F4FD 4EA7 A3BC A0BBA9153097
9CD1B18C 0EC0 4115 A6A3 00EC56408713
3A1EDBD4 9C7C 4293 85F3 E385BE5A5E83
2F80DD6B C0C1 4ACB BFA0 BE21A3204A18
0F50E769 F3D1 4D6D B552 79012C32B1EE
33276E19 9108 4C71 A79C 471D43ACA1B8
B

Budclarkson

Welll I watered so it’s at least another 3 days. Just some very slight amber trikes only on the sugar leaves at this time.

RH is running 48-50% with humidifier off currently.

B

Budclarkson

In the spirit of @ChuckFinnl3y and the Apollo11 crew I fabricated a drying box to throw inside the tent.

Clipped off a section of hose, grabbed an Amazon box, a wooden dowel, a small USB powered box fan, a knife and some tape.

Sucks in cool air from the room at around 62F into the box, fan exhausts on the other end into the tent. The vent and filter take care of it from there. Humidifier is 60RH with all the rain but should drop to 55RH normally.

Hung the box at the top front of the tent for easy access. Not completely light proof but keeps cooler air flowing thru the cuttings and solves the smell issue and any flak from the wife.
D81858E3 B4D0 4670 BE62 8B7852A142B0

6034D37E 70FB 4243 9ACC EBF47C12B119

E968688F B21F 47CE 82A5 03ACF2007981

33E7871A 5333 42A5 BE82 FCB6CD9D0C86

AD2FEAF8 D540 4003 B6AE 369879991A50

Top Bottom