Can I top this plant.

• Thread starter Gary7471
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gary7471

I am finishing my first week after the flip. It's Acapulco Gold. I am up to 40" today. Is it too late to trim the height on this grow? It looks like I may need some more room.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I am finishing my first week after the flip. It's Acapulco Gold. I am up to 40" today. Is it too late to trim the height on this grow? It looks like I may need some more room.
I've pruned a few tops during the stretch, even though many growers say not to do it. I believe it works because stretching is the last part of the vegetation stage. I'd probably do it again if I had a plant that needed it, because the buds grew quite well. I made an even crown and pulled the stems apart for good light penetration. So, at one week, your plants should still be stretching so you probably still have a few days.

G

Gary7471

It should stop growing soon. This plant shouldn't get more than 40-44' tall.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Another option might be to "supercrop" the plant. That's bending the stems sideways. There's a technique to doing it.

Post a picture so we can advise you better.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
If you top it you remove the top cola. Don't do that!
If done right, a new cola will form. Other growers told me not to do it, but having done it anyway, I noticed that the plant put more resources into lower buds on the stem, resulting in a good crop. The plant yielded 4 ounces, which is about average for my plants.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
This is it.
Lovely plant! How far is the top of the plant from the light?

I don't see much bud growth yet, so it could still be pruned. I put a red line in the picture where I'd probably cut it. The branch at the node below the cut will form a cola.

Having seen the plant, I'm thinking supercropping might be a better option for this plant. It's done by rolling and crushing the inner part of the stem (the xylem) between your fingers, being careful not to damage the outer layer of the stem (the phloem). Then let the stem become close to horizontal. I haven't done a lot of supercropping, so some other folks would probably have better advice.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

This is it.
Do not cut the top off. There are a lot of well meaning people in this forum unfortunately some offer bad ideas.
Pull and tie all the side shoots down.
One at a time Drill a few holes in the top of the pot rim so you have someplace to die down to. Pull the branches down tie them to the pot, the tips will turn up to he light.

The main stalk. 6" from the top. Put a loose loop around the stalk. Put a hook in the bottom of the pot.
Run the line down to the hook. Take it easy and bend the main stalk over. Tie it down almost like a candy cane.
The top will turn up to the light in a few days. You can easily shorten this plant a foot without topping.
While giving it better light.

This is best done when the plant is quite dry. Then water it. Stick it back under the light.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom