Can I transplant from soil to hydroton/coco

• Thread starter JohnnyBlazedIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyBlazedIt

Hey everyone, i got some really nice clones that i'm going to veg into mothers and i'd like to run them hydroponically. Unfortunately I got them in 1 gal dirt pots and I was wondering if i can transplant them into hydroton or a hydroton/coco/perlite mix. I have a bunch of coco and perlite sitting around but I have a limited amount hydroton. Can I make a coco mix and transplant a soil rootball into it and run drippers? If so what would you recommend for timing? Right now i flower in 1 gal plain hydroton pots with 1/4" drip rings. I'd like to run a similar system with the mothers but I wanted to mix in the coco. Anybody got any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks a ton in advance and btw I love the site. I've been a long time lurker and first time poster! happy growing!

Blaze

B

bingiman

I have transplanted from soil, coco, perlite mix into hydroton many times. I would not however try to use a mix if hydroton and coco together. the coco will eventually end up clogging water feeds and drains. I f you are going to use hydroton then here we go. get a five gallon bucket and fill with clean water which is ph balanced to 5.5. allow the water to reach 70 degrees f. add thrive alive (or equivelant b1 alternative) at 2 ml per gallon and root accelerator at 1 ml per gallon. mix well. remove plants from pots with soil and slowly and gently submerge the entire root system into the mixture. with both hands gently massage the soil around the roots until the soil is removed. place plant into new system and cover with hydroton. start the dripping system. if you are using a top drip system with a new baby, set timer to drip for 1 hour every 3 hours. as the root mass enlarges increase feeding to 1 hour on and 1 hour off.

J

JohnnyBlazedIt

excellent! Thanks for the concise description, very helpful! it makes a lot of sense and I didn't even think of it. They look so good in the soil though that i'm debating just growing them as is.. not sure yet.. but i'll def let you know how it goes.. thanks again!

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

Yea, just be careful with the roots.

I did both hydro and soil for a couple years before I finally came to my senses and used solely hydro. Made life much easier.

I wouldn't go directly into budding after the transplant. Best to let the plants come out of shock a week or two before throwing them into the bud cycle.

You can experience a great reduction in flowers from budding stressed plants.

devious d

devious d

Surprising how hardy our beloved plants are:rasta:, when changing mediums , bendind l.s.t,ing Ive swapped and mixed and matched mediums over the yrs, give them a week to 10 days to get over stress and they can cope with:sad0104::boogie: all sorts of transplanting

Top Bottom