Can I use extension cords for pumps, fans, etc..

• Thread starter Mr.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr.

The grow space in the garage is 16 x 23. I am building a wall that runs the down the length of the garage that will seperate the ballasts, water chiller, load center, etc.. There aren't any outlets in the grow space. So I will have to plug all of the fans (14 of them), water pumps, and UV lights into extension cords to run into the other room to plug into power strips that are plugged into the load center.

So first question: Is it safe to have the fans, pumps, and UV lights on running permanently on an extension cord?
Once the wall is built and I cut a hole in it to run the extension cords through, how do I seal it up properly? Is it ok if there are several extension cords bound together that go through the wall.

This is a sealed room.

M

Mari-Wonka

Check the amperage that the cords and power strips are rated for and calculate the load they will be bearing.
I'm in the same boat. I've got cords rated for 15 amps running from GFIs. I'm running around 11.5 amps through them(max at light start-up) and have not had any problems.
To seal the hole for the cords I would suggest some of that spray insulating foam. It expands and should fill any cracks.

S

swizzlegrower

basic electrical is fairly simple sub panels are just one big circuit .......that holds many small circuits.....read up a little.....anyone can put one in or convert a dryer outlet.......i converted my buddies dryer outlet then wired dryer to sub so he could use during dark cycle....took 100 bucks and 3000 watts now availible...if poss best solution

Top Bottom