Can i use Grodan Rockwool cubes inside soil?

• Thread starter express_fix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
express_fix

express_fix

Hi I have only 2 seeds so i don't want to screw up.

Normally i'd just place the seeds 1 cm deep inside my growing medium (soil), water and heat up the room.

But i want everything to be perfect, so i got 2 grodan rockwool cubes, they have small holes in them.

So in order to germinate what should i do?

I am confused, because most people use grodan cubes in hydro setups, and I will be using soil.

What i need to know is: Do I plant the rockwool cubes directly on top of the soil or in the soil? And then place the seeds inside, water ?
Or do i have to wait for the roots to start coming out of the bottom of the rockwool cube, and then put it inside the soil?

It will me most easy for me to just place the cubes in the pots, and start waiting, with no-re-potting at all.

I know this is a n00b question, sorry, i do not want to mess up the only seeds i have.

I

IGKali

Howdy. You want to treat that rockwool like you would a soil starter plug. Soak it in treated water for a few hours, then gently squeeze it to get just a bit of moisture out. Pop your seed in that ( I would maybe refrain from putting the cube in the soil until you see roots). Once your sprout develops, it's absolutely fine to stick that cube in soil. Even if you wanted to put the cube right in there without waiting, I don't think it would harm anything. It would just be difficult to gauge the moisture of the cube.

express_fix

express_fix

hey thanks so much!this is just what i needed!

I have a whole book called "cannabis on rockwool", but nothing beats an answer from someone more experienced
I watched a dozen movies .. , and still couldn't figure this out.. Guess its common sense, once you get used to it, but this rockwool thing is quite new to me
:cool0044:

express_fix

express_fix

Greetings once again.
I need advice from you.

In your opinion, which germination technique is better 1 or 2 ?
1)
seeds_germ.gif

2)
seeds_germ2.gif

Please bare with me, as I am not totally unexpirienced, but i have never done this "germination" thing so far.

I have always been putting my seeds directly into the "dirt", and it seems to have worked for me so far, until now - only 2 out of 40 popped out, due to NOT germinating first and over watering perhaps.

I am using: Plagron "All Mix" for the babies (no nutritients) and "100% bio" Plagron "Royality mix" for the large pots. I intend to add nutes only during the final flowering stage, as it says "do not add any nutritients for the first 6 weeks" on the Royalty mix bag.

Just for the stat's: the grow room's temperature is 28 degrees, ph controlled water, with room ventilation.

express_fix

express_fix

can somebody tell me what to do step by step, e.g.

1)shake the seeds
2)soak the seeds for one night
3)put each seed in the moist rockwool cubes' hole (no nutes or very diluted nutes)?
4)water regularly (for a few days?)
5)wait for roots to emerge from the rockwool slab and transplant the whole rockwool cube directly inside the large pots (i do not want to transplant more than once)

i have soil suitable for babies (plagron all mix) and bio-soil for the growing (royality mix)
do i need to add soil in the begining or only therockwool will do with some water?

this is frustrating for me.. something so easy.. i have done dozens of times..now turns out to be a problem.. im desperate for help and advice

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I would read ograskals germination technique in his forum, its very simple, very effective.

Also subcool has a good germination method in a thread called the laws of organic cannabis

There are plenty of varying theories on which method is best, ultimately its up for you to decide which technique will work best for your setup. I would take your time, read up before you try germinating, rushing things can have dire consequences.

express_fix

express_fix

well i'll be damn
i've always been using the same method OG Raskal has written about 1:1... directly in soil less than 1/2 in deep, with controlled watering - and out of 40 only 2 have popped out - DNA'a La Confidential

i trust my soil is very good.. but when i wrote to dna genetics, they blamed me for putting the seeds "directly in the dirt" for getting such low germ rates and they recomende dgeraminating first, this is why i made this post.
and now it tunrs out i havent done so bad after all :-(

what could be wrong?

express_fix

express_fix

perhaps some of the seeds were old (or the friend i gave them to didn't do his homework properly)
i tested 2 OG Kush x Cannalope Haze myself and 2 out of 2 germed and popped out successfully - 100% germ rate!
thanks everyone

gisisi

gisisi

If you are continuing to grow in soil, I recommend sticking with your old method.
It works.

Top Bottom