Can I veg photoperiod for 24/0?

• Thread starter ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Agree with @One drop plants perform different functions during lights on and lights out and running 24/0 while absolutely possible is not ideal imo.
I 've done it and did for a long time...It's okay for a few weeks in veg once the plant is established 2-3 weeks old, you can run 24hrs and it does speed up growth. I did end up with ph issues going 24hrs right through until I turned them. Not sure why but I stopped and I'm back at 18/6.....In the winter when its really cold & I need more heat I'll go 24hrs if I have to but I like to let them sleep if its warm enough.

ironside

ironside

Why would you run 24/7?
Well with autos that's what I do. So I was wondering if I could do the same with photo's during veg in an attempt to speed up growth in the early stage and then flip to 12/12 for flower.
Again I've never grown photo's hence the question.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I 've done it and did for a long time...It's okay for a few weeks in veg once the plant is established 2-3 weeks old, you can run 24hrs and it does speed up growth. I did end up with ph issues going 24hrs right through until I turned them. Not sure why but I stopped and I'm back at 18/6.....In the winter when its really cold & I need more heat I'll go 24hrs if I have to but I like to let them sleep if its warm enough.
Yeah if heat is an issue I can see it being beneficial. But imo the only time you will see more growth If they are not getting enough light in the 18/6.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Like I was saying the plants perform different functions in light on and off. Part of which is included in this video. Yes it works and yes you may see more growth but only if your not hitting a good DLI. This is why in flower we need such intense lighting to hit the DLI while in veg we need less. For that reason if you have med to low lighting your probably going to do better with auto's because your able to provide a higher DLI.

growsince79

growsince79

Yeah if heat is an issue I can see it being beneficial. But imo the only time you will see more growth If they are not getting enough light in the 18/6.
I know guys who do 24-0 from start to flip with good results. I run 24-0 -2 days, then 20/4 - 3 days, then 16-8 for til flip.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know guys who do 24-0 from start to flip with good results. I run 24-0 -2 days, then 20/4 - 3 days, then 16-8 for til flip.
If your having a hard time hitting a good DLI then I can see a possible benefit.

I just plucked this... didn't read it. But ino it's best to try to hit a good DLI while still providing a dark period. I say best because while not necessary it is beneficial imo.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I'm just asking about it mathematically. A plant can take x light before shriveling up and dying. If you spread x out over whatever hours, it's still x. So you have a light that is said to produce that x over y hours at z power, so to keep x you have to turn down z if you turn up y, you can't have x +1, that's death.

growsince79

growsince79

If your having a hard time hitting a good DLI then I can see a possible benefit.

I just plucked this... didn't read it. But ino it's best to try to hit a good DLI while still providing a dark period. I say best because while not necessary it is beneficial imo.

I agree. I try to hit the sweet spot at 16 hrs though.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm just asking about it mathematically. A plant can take x light before shriveling up and dying. If you spread x out over whatever hours, it's still x. So you have a light that is said to produce that x over y hours at z power, so to keep x you have to turn down z if you turn up y, you can't have x +1, that's death.
Yup. But they also can only photosynthesize so much at a time. Photosynthesis rate and light saturation are related but different.

Here is some info on how lights out affects the plants. There are many variables that need to be taken into account. There is no one way but some are better than others.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As we get closer to the saturation point photosynthesis actually slows down. A very basic way to look at it is a cup with a hole in the bottom.

You add water (the light) at the same rate (low level) as the hole drains and photosynthesis keeps on going steady.

Now you increase the amount of water going in (increase light intensity) and eventually the cup fills up and can no longer hold more water (use more light) so you stop adding and water (light) and it drains and you can start adding water again.

Photosynthesis rate would be the hole...saturation point is the size of the cup.

But there is also other factors in the dark cycle that are beneficial not just allowing the plant to process the light energy its received. Which it does all the time just the dark period allows it to catch up when under high light.

TSD

TSD

I never understand why anyone does 24/0 cycles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom