Can I veg photoperiod for 24/0?

• Thread starter ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smithers

Smithers

I would assume that would just confuse and stress it out and possibly cause it to go hermie? 🤷‍♀️

I figured as much. Da Vinci and Tesla both used that schedule and It was attributed possibly in Tesla’s downfall mentally from the quick wiki I just did... maybe it’s not good for anybody to be on unnatural sleep patterns

dextr0

dextr0

I’ve done 24/7 for years never had any problems.

A lot of the time I just found it easier to do like that. If it wasn’t one thing it was another (failed timer or no timer at all, people needing to turn on a light during dark period....list goes on) so I just did 24/7 for simplicity and never looked back.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’ve done 24/7 for years never had any problems.

A lot of the time I just found it easier to do like that. If it wasn’t one thing it was another (failed timer or no timer at all, people needing to turn on a light during dark period....list goes on) so I just did 24/7 for simplicity and never looked back.
Absolutely will work... there is no argument for me there. Just need to adjust the light intensity accordingly. When we get into optimization there are always things that can improve our grows. Definitely not necessity but in many cases an improvement.

Is it always cost effective, absolutely not.

Is it gonna make or break a grow, absolutely not

Is it a necessity, absolutely not.

Will every person see a benefit from it, absolutely not.

Is understanding the benefits, costs, impacts and reasoning beneficial, absolutely yes.

An informed decision is the right decision.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think I'll believe the lady with a doctorate that just said the plants need a dark period for the microbiome to function properly and for the soil (assuming you're in soil) to be healthy. All living things need to rest to regenerate, that's just fact. She just said it will make the plant stressed and more susceptible to pests and disease, and that it could possibly lower the quality of the weed... so unless you're a commercial grow that only cares for rate of output... even then it makes no sense to me to do the 24 cycle.

I agree with all this. I grow at 18/6. But the point was full hydro with max co2 and max light that fits in the rooms.

Most all of us have smoked and gotten plenty high for many years smoking weed grown the way I was describing.

But my weed now is sure better than most of what I smoked during the 90’s and 2000’s. And maybe the plants resting has something to do with that. But there are so many variables.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But it does if you are lacking intensity... like I said there is a net gain to a point and all processesare haplening.... even if photosynthesis is reduced by 25% at high light its still net photosynthesis.. but photosaturation is a whole nother ball game.

Under low light the plants can easily keep up to 24/0

but I have seen plants keep up fine. It’s the grower with the stress keeping up. You are stuck on dli but it hasn’t even been determined. What’s the dli on a massive Thai plant in Thailand?

Cannabis has grown over 20 feet tall in 5 months. That takes a lot of light and the plant obviously can convert plenty of it.

in all my years knowing growers I have never heard anyone say “too much light”.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree with all this. I grow at 18/6. But the point was full hydro with max co2 and max light that fits in the rooms.

Most all of us have smoked and gotten plenty high for many years smoking weed grown the way I was describing.

But my weed now is sure better than most of what I smoked during the 90’s and 2000’s. And maybe the plants resting has something to do with that. But there are so many variables.
Yeah its so hard to pinpoint... shot makes my head spin lol.

growsince79

growsince79

What about a polyphasic dark schedule, like Da Vinci... 20 mins every 4 hours or so it’s said.

I’m sure it’s been tested but I haven’t read much about it. Just jumping in, if the plant rests when overloaded does it respond to a few short spaced out dark periods rather than only one long one? Or does that scramble the plant with too much jet-lag?
Better to leave 1 light on and dim 2 for 20min. I do that kind of thing all the time-no herms. Still only 16 hrs light yhough.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Now if high light and no break at some point that 25% is going to actually reduce yield if compared to say 18/6 at 90+% efficacy for 18 hrs and 0 for 6

Again. Not one of the commercial growers would keep doing it if it reduced yield.

They are still making more and more powerful led grow lamps. We have not hit the limit our plant can take yet.

growsince79

growsince79

I wish my weed was as good as what I grew in the 90's. Getting close, I'm working on it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Absolutely will work... there is no argument for me there. Just need to adjust the light intensity accordingly. When we get into optimization there are always things that can improve our grows. Definitely not necessity but in many cases an improvement.

Is it always cost effective, absolutely not.

Is it gonna make or break a grow, absolutely not

Is it a necessity, absolutely not.

Will every person see a benefit from it, absolutely not.

Is understanding the benefits, costs, impacts and reasoning beneficial, absolutely yes.

An informed decision is the right decision.

It is way more profitable to have an extra run harvested every year. And no one lowers the light intensity for 24 hour veg. Most growers put on as much light as the space permits.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wish my weed was as good as what I grew in the 90's. Getting close, I'm working on it.

I wish I could find and grow what I smoked in the 80’s. That’s a different level imo.

But beating original white widow or whatever. Most of the genetics I have chosen were better after a few years of practice.

Growing and flowering fully mature plants made a big difference for me compared to the little symmetrical 1 footers I used to.

and feeding as close to what they need rather than supplying a luxury level of nutrients along with a good very dry dry cycle also made a big difference.

I guess minor drought and nutrient stress makes more cannabinoids.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ive never had or seen a light of any kind
Last 20years running 24-7.
I also don't live on the moon.
can you veg around the clock. Sure.
try it for yourself, Many have. Most pros settle on 18-6 for various reasons.
I have with many many lights incandescent and fluorescent both. In the Burrard ship yard I worked near Victoria BC they had a 50 year old light bulb burning and that was in the 80's. It was in the old generator room a bit of pride and joy for the company. Stairwell lights that never turn off last a long time.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Based on what I remember, MH worked best at 24-0. Vegging under HPS the plants stretched way too much. 18-6 with hps helped a bit, but still too much stretch for some strains. Now with the new leds, I don't think more hours of light would help at all.
I like the T5 ho 6500K full spectrum They keep the plant short and the hps will stretch them out. Right now I'm vegging 9 -10 hrs under 1000w hps then 9 hrs under 400w of T5. I might as well use the 1000w hps while its on to veg rather than having both t5's & the 1000w on at the same time. Plants love it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Except for the many naturally occuring autoflower seeds that exist in climates that have 24 hours of sunlight? 😉
Nowhere you can grow has 24hrs sunlight...24 hrs light yes but it drops down over the horizon and you can see the glow and its light but if dusk and dawn are not light hours then they'd only get about 20 hrs light and 4 hrs of dawn / twilight.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Nowhere you can grow has 24hrs sunlight...24 hrs light yes but it drops down over the horizon and you can see the glow and its light but if dusk and dawn are not light hours then they'd only get about 20 hrs light and 4 hrs of dawn / twilight.

Sure, there's a difference between direct sunlight and indirect sunlight. But it's definitely not "dark," you know?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sunlight intensity varies a lot hour to hour and day to day. It's not simply 100,000- 130,000 lux non stop. Cloudy days can be less than 5000

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sure, there's a difference between direct sunlight and indirect sunlight. But it's definitely not "dark," you know?
If moon light isn't light ( plant see it as dark ) ( reflective light ) I counted daylight hours last year and the plants turned with at 16 hrs of light. Early August and I was told that dusk and dawn are not day light hours Soooo if that's the case ( coming from you guys here ) then nowhere gets 24 hrs of light. because the sun don't shine for 24 hrs directly anywhere.

Top Bottom