Can I veg photoperiod for 24/0?

• Thread starter ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sure, there's a difference between direct sunlight and indirect sunlight. But it's definitely not "dark," you know?
Its not dark with the moon out either or the din of the city lights....It was just fun to argue this
wiki
Around the summer solstice (approximately 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere and 23 December in the Southern Hemisphere), in certain areas the sun does not set below the horizon within a 24-hour period. The number of days per year with potential midnight sun increases the closer one goes towards either pole. Although approximately defined by the polar circles, in practice the midnight sun can be seen as much as 90 km (55 miles) outside the polar circle, as described below, and the exact latitudes of the farthest reaches of midnight sun depend on topography and vary slightly year-to-year.

Because there are no permanent human settlements south of the Antarctic Circle, apart from research stations, the countries and territories whose populations experience the midnight sun are limited to those crossed by the Arctic Circle

Circle: the Canadian Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories; the nations of Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark (Greenland), Russia; and the state of Alaska in the United States. A quarter of Finland's territory lies north of the Arctic Circle, and at the country's northernmost point the sun does not set at all for 60 days during summer. In Svalbard, Norway, the northernmost inhabited region of Europe, there is no sunset from approximately 19 April to 23 August. The extreme sites are the poles, where the sun can be continuously visible for half the year. The North Pole has midnight sun for 6 months from late March to late September.

Okay Okay so I was wrong again.....lol.....I'll mark that up to old...lol

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
is there a cost/benefit analysis for this? that would be one way to ACTUALLY answer the conundrum.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It's not about who's right or wrong, it's the research we did along the way. 😄
I did say nowhere you can grow it. I don't think an outdoor grow north of the Artic Circle will produce anything seeing as there are no trees north of the circle 3c - 36f bright and sunny....24hrs a day brrrrrrr....Short plants lol

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
they are doing a study about the magnetic value in the arctic circle and its impact on flora. it is rather fascinating actually! they havent released a lot yet, but the seeds seem to go whackadoodle from it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
that is a cost analysis, which is interesting but not helpful. i was looking for the cost to benefit analysis. it would list things like as a cost running the lights the electric charges as a benefit it might make more or better product... but there are a LOT more things involved in the analysys

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

that is a cost analysis, which is interesting but not helpful. i was looking for the cost to benefit analysis. it would list things like as a cost running the lights the electric charges as a benefit it might make more or better product... but there are a LOT more things involved in the analysys

the answer is in there. The analysis shows 4 harvests per year with 30 day veg. Turning veg lights off would extend grow time or lower yield. It has been standard for 40 years. If it was cost beneficial in any way to do it different commercial growers would do it another way.

just like spectrum and additives and supplemental lights and cloth pots and everything discussed on a hobby forum. The gains are in diminishing returns.

And in the case of 24 hr. Veg. We may think the plants are happier or missing something but commercially for yield and lab tests for quality it just is not true.

and this discussion has been in threads since overgrow. Most Money growers still don’t turn out the veg lights even with today’s information.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
not what a cost benefit analysis is though.

that is 1/3. then they do a benefit analysis (it includes things like environmental impact and differences in water and anything at all that might be considered beneficial in any setting). then they do a comparison analysis. that is the analysis i would like to see.

oh, and it needs to be comparative (a study on each method)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

not what a cost benefit analysis is though.

that is 1/3. then they do a benefit analysis (it includes things like environmental impact and differences in water and anything at all that might be considered beneficial in any setting). then they do a comparison analysis. that is the analysis i would like to see.

oh, and it needs to be comparative (a study on each method)

Maybe you should contact a commercial grow consultant. ;-)

I found the article I posted In seconds. Every similar article in the search also had 24 hour veg. No one with commercial level money as a goal does it different even 40 years later.

do some research. I bet you can find something.

growsince79

growsince79

Maybe you should contact a commercial grow consultant. ;-)

I found the article I posted In seconds. Every similar article in the search also had 24 hour veg. No one with commercial level money as a goal does it different even 40 years later.

do some research. I bet you can find something.
I may be wrong, but I think it might have to do with the seed to sale regulations. They want as big of plants as possible for tracking puposes- even though a sea of green would be more profitable without regulations. These guys aren't constrained by 6-8' ceilings.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
im not arguing whether it is good or bad, i asked for a document that would show in which areas and by what scale.

for instance, what if you could produce some level of euphoria that you cant any other way, this might not be cost effective, but might be medicinally beneficial. so you analyze the cost to see if then it would be a benefit since it could make a pharmacutical. those are the things i would like to know. is there any way that it could be a benefit cost ratio. and knowing that growers dont make money doing it is one aspect. but then you might scale it down, is it worth it to the home grower with only 2 plants? maybe it is, maybe they cant get the environment right in the off, but can in the on, it might be a cost benefit by not running whatever ac or other accoutrements you might need. maybe the benefit is in off site and travel... there are just more things to consider, and an analysis would do it.

i have found that most things in some instances will be good when normally bad or bad when normally good. i am just the sort to love to read the reports and see the facts.

TSD

TSD

im not arguing whether it is good or bad, i asked for a document that would show in which areas and by what scale.

for instance, what if you could produce some level of euphoria that you cant any other way, this might not be cost effective, but might be medicinally beneficial. so you analyze the cost to see if then it would be a benefit since it could make a pharmacutical. those are the things i would like to know. is there any way that it could be a benefit cost ratio. and knowing that growers dont make money doing it is one aspect. but then you might scale it down, is it worth it to the home grower with only 2 plants? maybe it is, maybe they cant get the environment right in the off, but can in the on, it might be a cost benefit by not running whatever ac or other accoutrements you might need. maybe the benefit is in off site and travel... there are just more things to consider, and an analysis would do it.

i have found that most things in some instances will be good when normally bad or bad when normally good. i am just the sort to love to read the reports and see the facts.
We're a long way from the government funding that kind of research... maybe someone with too much money can check into that lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I may be wrong, but I think it might have to do with the seed to sale regulations. They want as big of plants as possible for tracking puposes- even though a sea of green would be more profitable without regulations. These guys aren't constrained by 6-8' ceilings.

they had no regulations years ago when they figured this all out. Sea of green is what a lot of them do. But they still run veg lights 24 hrs. You have 2-4 weeks to finish veg regardless on a 3 months cycle.

growsince79

growsince79

they had no regulations years ago when they figured this all out. Sea of green is what a lot of them do. But they still run veg lights 24 hrs. You have 2-4 weeks to finish veg regardless on a 3 months cycle.
The first sogs I saw in the early 80s were always 1-2 week veg under 16hrs. The purpose of 16 hours instead of 18 was to keep the clones short and on the brink of flower. Running 24hrs or 18 sends her back to insane veg. That's not what we wanted. I don't know of any growers in my state doing sog nowadays. They all want to grow 3lb plants.
No way are they getting as good of relative yield as a traditional sog. There is no way in hell I can grow 24-0 in my little closet. You should do a side by side and let us know how it works for you.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The first sogs I saw in the early 80s were always 1-2 week veg under 16hrs. The purpose of 16 hours instead of 18 was to keep the clones short and on the brink of flower. Running 24hrs or 18 sends her back to insane veg. That's not what we wanted. I don't know of any growers in my state doing sog nowadays. They all want to grow 3lb plants.
No way are they getting as good of relative yield as a traditional sog. There is no way in hell I can grow 24-0 in my little closet. You should do a side by side and let us know how it works for you.

i already tried both 18 and 24. I just personally preferred Letting them go dark a while for my own rest and peace of mind. Also saved a third of cost of nutes, lights and of course water and gardening time.

but if I had a schedule to keep I would go 24 hrs.

and big plants are for plant counts. Didn’t matter when we were hiding.

I have dealt with all kinds of growers and sizes but I didn’t even know you were suggested to veg 18/6 when I started myself. I just did what I thought everyone did and the grow books said. Left the veg lights on 24 hrs. My experience is all east coast until I moved to Colorado when I was 30. And weed was still illegal there when I was living there so none of this new industry stuff yet.

honestly I never heard of 16 hr veg anywhere. That’s on the cusp of possible flowering I thought.

growsince79

growsince79

i already tried both 18 and 24. I just personally preferred Letting them go dark a while for my own rest and peace of mind. Also saved a third of cost of nutes, lights and of course water and gardening time.

but if I had a schedule to keep I would go 24 hrs.

and big plants are for plant counts. Didn’t matter when we were hiding.

I have dealt with all kinds of growers and sizes but I didn’t even know you were suggested to veg 18/6 when I started myself. I just did what I thought everyone did and the grow books said. Left the veg lights on 24 hrs. My experience is all east coast until I moved to Colorado when I was 30. And weed was still illegal there when I was living there so none of this new industry stuff yet.

honestly I never heard of 16 hr veg anywhere. That’s on the cusp of possible flowering I thought.
It is on the cusp of flowering- thats the whole point. We had mother plants that could make 500 clones at a time and flip after one week veg at 16hrs and be 100% ripe in 50-55 days. Big plant will never get you that kind of relative yield indoors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom