Can I veg photoperiod for 24/0?

• Thread starter ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I'm missing what your saying somehow... watts don't equal yield, not even close. Photons equal yield. If that were the case HID would absolutely murder LED.

By cram as much light as possible I'm not sure what you mean? Enough to indice photorespiration? Photosaturation?

And I absolutely agree with you a commercial grower could care less in most cases.

Photosaturation, photorespiration and light stress are all real factors we can't deny. I don't disagree that a 2 hr dark period may be enough hell maybe an hr for all I know. What I'm getting at is not that it can't be done but that there are benefits to a dark period and many many growers report no significant difference in some reduction of photoperiod. I would explain that by saying the light intensity and the duration will equal the DLI (amount of photons delivered) needed to maximize growth.

So we can provide a more intense light for a shorter duration as long as photorespiration is not occurring and reducing the plants efficiency to convert it to energy
believe i remember hearing migro or bugbee sayin that you can actually shut off your lights for an hour and turn them back on and it could be a cost effective light trick on the plants. Essentially, the plants would still grow and act like they were under light during the hour period where lights werent on. Only works for a single hour in the light cycle though, preferably in the middle or perhaps towards the end.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

believe i remember hearing migro or bugbee sayin that you can actually shut off your lights for an hour and turn them back on and it could be a cost effective light trick on the plants. Essentially, the plants would still grow and act like they were under light during the hour period where lights werent on. Only works for a single hour in the light cycle though, preferably in the middle or perhaps towards the end.
this couldd also elaborate on someone elses post who was discussing the time and conditions required to "flip processes" from light to dark cycle. If these guys are saying you can shut your light off for an hour and trick the plants into believing the light is on then it could in some way lend credence to the thought that the time it takes for a plant to switch cycles based on light put takes over an hour. This is just a guess though until this area is studied more

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

I used to do 24/0 back in the beginning. It works, but not as well as 18/6 plants need a rest period to carry out certain processes. If you really want to do 24/0 make sure that you space the dli out over 24 the same as you would in 18/6. It still needs the same amount of light just over a 24 hour period instead of 18

RosaVerde

RosaVerde

I’m running 24 hr veg with LED lights. Tight internodes. Helps me out with temp management, it’s been cold at night but once it gets warmer out I’ll shut the lights off for 18/6. Also I seen some really fast growth, no stress, everything looks super healthy

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m running 24 hr veg with LED lights. Tight internodes. Helps me out with temp management, it’s been cold at night but once it gets warmer out I’ll shut the lights off for 18/6. Also I seen some really fast growth, no stress, everything looks super healthy
That's a good indicator that your light intensity is not to high... when you drop to 18/6 you can increase it by 1/4 and you know the plants will be good.

Top Bottom