Can net pot size affect yield in DWC?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

Im going back to hydro but this time Im gonna give DWC a shot Im just wondering if net pot sizes could possibly affect yield, the bigger the better?

forknowledge

forknowledge

IMVHO Bigger is better. But really I think its tub size. A 25 gall Tub will yeild more then a 5 gallon bucket.

I hear you, Ive noticed if I use a huge bottomless tank with roots suspended in it then the plant will yield a hell of alot. But is it possible that smaller net pots could possibly limit the amount of roots that grow out of it?

squarepusher

squarepusher

the factors i believe that would effect growth are
1) will the netput support the stem thickness?
2) the distance from the bottom of the pot to the liquid level (how far the roots have to travel).

other than that, i think not much

forknowledge

forknowledge

2) the distance from the bottom of the pot to the liquid level (how far the roots have to travel).

If the water line is just about touching the bottom of the net pot would that be good or bad?

squarepusher

squarepusher

If the water line is just about touching the bottom of the net pot would that be good or bad?

from what i hear its good, that way your roots go directly into the water in a kind of 'free flowing' environment and can branch out a lot

D

DazedNconfussed

from what i hear its good, that way your roots go directly into the water in a kind of 'free flowing' environment and can branch out a lot

I agree...On my last grow I didnt keep up all that great on the water level and would let it drop to around half full before I would top off or change....This time I top off every other day not letting it frop more then a few inches....I am noticing much nicer and fuller roots, and quicker growth up top.

Maybe by keeping more roots submerged and not letting half hang out of the water it aborbs more nute?

L

Lost

As I understand it from grows I have done and talking to others is this: There are the actual feeder roots (good) and the ropes roots (no Bueno) that stretch and the feders branch off of those. With a high water level you end up with little to no rope roots and thus the plant is much more efficient.

squarepusher

squarepusher

As I understand it from grows I have done and talking to others is this: There are the actual feeder roots (good) and the ropes roots (no Bueno) that stretch and the feders branch off of those. With a high water level you end up with little to no rope roots and thus the plant is much more efficient.

check it out, this is a crosslink but Heath Robinson goes into a bit of detail about roots and water level

forknowledge

forknowledge

Ive been having a few words with Heath he is the reason Im trying out recirculating systems for the firs time.

I understand the purpose better thanks everyone. Feel free to add any other info fellas.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I hear you, Ive noticed if I use a huge bottomless tank with roots suspended in it then the plant will yield a hell of alot. But is it possible that smaller net pots could possibly limit the amount of roots that grow out of it?

Kind of like how the trunk of a tree gets wider under the dirt?

321abc

My thought exactly.

E

EACH1TEACH1

here's my opinion based on experience. i previously used big buckets in my rdwc system, but after getting tired of washing tons of rocks with roots on them. i hatched up a plan to use smaller pots with less rocks so i could toss rocks out after grow. smaller net pots equals same size root system. less hassle plus save a couple bucks.(5gal buckets)

Seaninipanini

Seaninipanini

From what I hear its best to leave a moist air gap between the pot and water. The root will reach out for the water encouraging them to grow and more aeration is always good. Also if you encounter the unthinkable (root rot) then you can keep the base of your roots as they shouldn't be affected being above the water level

Latest posts

Top Bottom