Can ppm's go up because of evaporation?

• Thread starter Vdber86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

Vdber86

I am runing a 4x4 flood table with hydroton in bags and I'm in my third day of veg. When I started I put my nutes at 420ppm the second day they went to 540 and today there at 630. I used hygrozyme/gh flora micro/gh flora bloom (Lucas formula). Since I filled the resivor I haven't added anything else. No ph down or float topping off my resivor. The only thing that I could think that is happening is that the water is evaporating and leaving the nutes behind faster then the plants can eat down the ppm's because they are so small. So.... Is that what's goin on or could I possibly have something else causing this.

S

SkyHi

Evaporation can cause that or the plants are drinking and not eating....check your ph and top off with fresh water. i have never had enough water evaporate from any res to cause ppms to spike but like , JK said if you have low RH and fans blowing with no lid on your res then maybe...

R

REGISTRD

yup.. if your res is mixed for 35gal and it evaps even 5gal ya itll defintly go up..
YOur also running LUcas Flood which if memory serves me rights its been a few since i used that method but you should top off every other day No?

V

Vdber86

Looks like low RH is what the problem was. I put a cool mist humidifier in there but it still doesn't get humid enough when the light is on. But that could be because I am pulling air from the room to cool my light and it's just sucking up all the humid air. What should my humidity be during veg? 60-70%?

N

nucleotide

The evaporation of water leaves behind a more nutrient dense solution. So yes, ppms will go up ;)

G

Green Escape

once i started running my humidity higher my ppms stopped going up but now that i am in flower keeping the humidity lower its doing it to me again.

V

Vdber86

Wow there going up on you in flower? I thought that in flower they would be eating it down faster then they could go up. I think this is going to be an on going problem. Maybe I should just hook my ro up to the float and leave it on at all times.

G

Green Escape

thats what i've started to do now is top off with pure RO water the ppms level back out when i do it that way.

S

ScrOGer

Yes... But that would be a lot of water to lose over night. Seems like an RH issue, to me too.

audius

audius

i to was having the same ppm rise,,evaporation is wht was doing it,i just add more ro

Top Bottom