Can Rspec & Bspec QB288's share same driver ( in series ) ?

• Thread starter boatbum850
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
boatbum850

boatbum850

Have 2 each Rspec & Bspec HLG 288's . For a 3x3x7 tent the 2 Bspec will work for veg , add the 2 Rpec for flower . Should be able to run all 4 less than 75% . Figure 2 triple heatsinks for spread & 2 HLG 240 drivers . Parallel mixing different boards is a no-no . Moot since I'm gonna go with 2 drivers I'll keep them separate .

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Have 2 each Rspec & Bspec HLG 288's . For a 3x3x7 tent the 2 Bspec will work for veg , add the 2 Rpec for flower . Should be able to run all 4 less than 75% . Figure 2 triple heatsinks for spread & 2 HLG 240 drivers . Parallel mixing different boards is a no-no . Moot since I'm gonna go with 2 drivers I'll keep them separate .
Without knowing the volts and amps of the Rspec and Bspec, as well as the numbers on the driver, there is no way to answer your question. Provide us with all the technical details about your boards as well as your driver model number and we can tell you what works and what won't.

Edit: If you wire the boards in series, it will double the voltage. That would only work if they both operate at the same voltage. Keep in mind the amperage. If they run at different amps, that would pose a problem too. One would either be under-driven or one would be driven too hard. While there are ways this "could be done," it's not plug and play and probably not in the best interest of your time when you stated you already have 2 drivers.

Last edited:
boatbum850

boatbum850

All 4 QB's are HLG 288's , 2 Rspec & 2 Bspec . Boards rated 54vdc , 2800ma .
One driver is an Invertronics EUM240S350DT output 35 - 111v , 3.5A , P 240W
Other driver is a Meanwell XLG-240-M-AB output 90 - 171v , 2.1A in CC mode , P 239.4W
Meanwell is a CC/CV , AC/DC output type . I am waiting for HLG to get back with me , but I don't see any conflicts . Parallel I get as you don't even want to mix boards of different batches but in series with same ratings & both boards getting same current seems doable .
Gonna use 2 drivers , 2 boards per & each mounted on triple size heatsinks to increase spread . Was thinking 1 R & 1 Bspec each again for spread . HLG in their blog shows them testing QB 288's with added blue & red both & individually . It would also allow me to use what's on hand w/o having to spend & give sufficent light w/o center hotspot in a 3X3 running say 50 - 75% full load .

Last edited:
boatbum850

boatbum850

FWIW HLG QB 288's can be run in series as long as board volts & current are equal . In parallel QB 288's must be the same including batch . IE V1 boards can only be run with other V1's , V2's with V2's , Rspec with Rspec , Bspec with Bspec & so on . This is straight from HLG Customer Service .

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

HLG QB 288's can be run in series as long as board volts & current are equal

None of that from HLG surprises me. Matching volts is only part of the equation. Those boards must also match in amperage (current). It's what I was saying in my edit above. The only way around it would likely void the warranty. It would require understanding of ohms law and how to determine the correct resistor and the right string to add it to so that current balances between each strip. Do I recommend this? NO, and neither does HLG!

You have 2 drivers already ... and each has been paired with it's respective board. They should run best with what HLG provided.

Top Bottom