Can someone diagnose my Flowering Plant leaves?

• Thread starter healthdude38
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

healthdude38

Yeah I definitely agree. He didn't waste money. It's definitely scalable into a co2 setup, and iirc you actually get a better footprint at 100% at higher height right? I'm just saying a light meter would be very beneficial for him right now.
Yes I'm definitely getting a light meter. Are they expensive?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Im a bit confused, it says in flower a ppfd of 400 to 900ish is needed?? Im getting 67000.. this can't be right can it?

I think even if a put the light at 20% I will have more than 1000 ppfd
Raise the light then. If you have a light powerful enough to accomplish this (you do), raise the light. The ppfd difference between the top of the canopy and the bottom of the canopy will have less variance and you'll be able to have a bigger sweetspot of fat nuggets. I also think the numbers you gave us were in Umols and not ppfd. You should be able to change settings ... at least on my actual quantum light meter, I can. I don't use the phone app.

The best ones are made by Apogee but other companies make them as well. I bought mine a year or so ago for a several hundred dollars. I don't remember exactly what I paid.

H

healthdude38

The plant is looking worse everyday 😔

Just went in the room and took some pictures before lights went out..

PH is in range, I gave it some cal/mag

The other plants are looking OK I guess.. I can see some brown spots here and there but nothing major.

I'm posting some images of my other plants too
20230518 182921
20230518 182909
20230518 182929
20230518 182925

And the healthier plants:

20230518 182936
20230518 182943
20230518 182951
20230518 182947
20230518 182959

H

healthdude38

Raise the light then. If you have a light powerful enough to accomplish this (you do), raise the light. The ppfd difference between the top of the canopy and the bottom of the canopy will have less variance and you'll be able to have a bigger sweetspot of fat nuggets. I also think the numbers you gave us were in Umols and not ppfd. You should be able to change settings ... at least on my actual quantum light meter, I can. I don't use the phone app.

The best ones are made by Apogee but other companies make them as well. I bought mine a year or so ago for a several hundred dollars. I don't remember exactly what I paid.
Ok I'm going to test the ppfd again tomorrow. The plants are sleeping now

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Im a bit confused, it says in flower a ppfd of 400 to 900ish is needed?? Im getting 67000.. this can't be right can it?

I think even if a put the light at 20% I will have more than 1000 ppfd
Are you sure you’re looking at PPFD and not LUX? I have a feeling you’re looking at LUX output. Luz readings for flower should be between 50,000-70,000

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The plant is looking worse everyday 😔

Just went in the room and took some pictures before lights went out..

PH is in range, I gave it some cal/mag

The other plants are looking OK I guess.. I can see some brown spots here and there but nothing major.

I'm posting some images of my other plants tooView attachment 1982975View attachment 1982976View attachment 1982977View attachment 1982978

And the healthier plants:

View attachment 1982979View attachment 1982980View attachment 1982981View attachment 1982982View attachment 1982983
The crispy leaves ... are they closer to the center of the light and top of the plants? Do the leaves green up as you approach the outer perimeter of the light? Do they green up more on the lower part of the plant? If the answer to all or most of these questions is yes .... your plants are suffering light burn.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

The up-turned leaflets with burnt tip indicate light burn in those pictures. So, I recommend raising the lights and/or reducing the power. Some of those leaves won't recover.

As for lights and wattage, I have 240-watt ViparSpectra XS2000 lights in my tents and don't run them above 40% power.

The Photone phone app is rather good and is actively being developed. It's useful for comparative readings. I used it recently when moving plants to a new tent. I set the new tent light to the same reading as the old tent.

Something I think about when using a light meter is how much having the door to the tent closed matters. So, when I take readings, I put the phone on something and close the door as much as I can and still be able to see the phone screen. To position the phone near the canopy, I built a little tower used K'nex left over from when my kids were young. It worked well for the purpose.

H

healthdude38

The crispy leaves ... are they closer to the center of the light and top of the plants? Do the leaves green up as you approach the outer perimeter of the light? Do they green up more on the lower part of the plant? If the answer to all or most of these questions is yes .... your plants are suffering light burn.
The answer really is yes to all the questions 😅

Here are some pictures of the lower part of the plant and as you can see the leaves don't look half as bad

20230518 183019
20230518 183013
20230518 183009

But as you can see the color of the leaves is very dark green so I definitely also nute burned this plant..

H

healthdude38

The up-turned leaflets with burnt tip indicate light burn in those pictures. So, I recommend raising the lights and/or reducing the power. Some of those leaves won't recover.

As for lights and wattage, I have 240-watt ViparSpectra XS2000 lights in my tents and don't run them above 40% power.

The Photone phone app is rather good and is actively being developed. It's useful for comparative readings. I used it recently when moving plants to a new tent. I set the new tent light to the same reading as the old tent.

Something I think about when using a light meter is how much having the door to the tent closed matters. So, when I take readings, I put the phone on something and close the door as much as I can and still be able to see the phone screen. To position the phone near the canopy, I built a little tower used K'nex left over from when my kids were young. It worked well for the purpose.
Nice im going to look up this app..

It's also my first time using a Led Lamp, I bought the most powerful Led I could find because I wanted to make the transition worth it and not buy some cheap shit..

I also thought the plants could almost touch the lamp because that's what I read some where.. I guess I didn't know how powerful this light really is

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The answer really is yes to all the questions 😅

Here are some pictures of the lower part of the plant and as you can see the leaves don't look half as bad

View attachment 1982995View attachment 1982996View attachment 1982997

But as you can see the color of the leaves is very dark green so I definitely also nute burned this plant..

It is a bit over fertilized. Also when you drive a plant too hard and have over-fertilized, the plant crashes and burns ... in places you see that beginning to happen. Definitely some learning experiences through this grow ... big difference between LEDs and HIDs in quality of light.

You didn't make a bad purchase on your light. Once you learn how to use it, you're going to love the power it has.

H

healthdude38

It is a bit over fertilized. Also when you drive a plant too hard and have over-fertilized, the plant crashes and burns ... in places you see that beginning to happen. Definitely some learning experiences through this grow ... big difference between LEDs and HIDs in quality of light.

You didn't make a bad purchase on your light. Once you learn how to use it, you're going to love the power it has.
Do you think this plant will still finish off? Or is it trashed now?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you think this plant will still finish off? Or is it trashed now?
It's far from trash. It's likely still better than what you would find at the average dispensary. Simply put ... it could have been better. That's all. Once you learn your light, you'll consistently avoid that problem and put out quality nuggets that are reaching the plant's full potential.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Do you think this plant will still finish off?
Yes. They'll finish and you'll probably be happy. Harvesting a crop is always nice.

I agree that they're over fertilized. There are signs of too much nitrogen. I don't remember what the growing medium is, but if it's soil, watering with plain water for a while might help.

I believe LEDs may have gained a reputation for being relatively low powered from when they were first in use. They improved over time and now are much more powerful, but the reputation persists. Last year when I began growing under lights and trying to absorb as much information as I could, I read old reviews of LEDs that recommended as much as 60 watts per square foot. That decreased over time to 30 watts per square foot, or less. So, I use that as a guide for matching lights to growing space. I do also agree that running lights at less than their capacity is a good idea, for lower heat load and perhaps longevity of the light, as well.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes. They'll finish and you'll probably be happy. Harvesting a crop is always nice.

I agree that they're over fertilized. There are signs of too much nitrogen. I don't remember what the growing medium is, but if it's soil, watering with plain water for a while might help.

I believe LEDs may have gained a reputation for being relatively low powered from when they were first in use. They improved over time and now are much more powerful, but the reputation persists. Last year when I began growing under lights and trying to absorb as much information as I could, I read old reviews of LEDs that recommended as much as 60 watts per square foot. That decreased over time to 30 watts per square foot, or less. So, I use that as a guide for matching lights to growing space. I do also agree that running lights at less than their capacity is a good idea, for lower heat load and perhaps longevity of the light, as well.

Very true ... it might have even been you who said this in another thread ... New tech high efficiency grow lights might even be down to 25w per sq foot. What kind of light qualifies under that? The OPS 1000w spider farmer light. It's a beast!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Very true ... it might have even been you who said this in another thread ... New tech high efficiency grow lights might even be down to 25w per sq foot. What kind of light qualifies under that? The OPS 1000w spider farmer light. It's a beast!
I have mentioned it previously. It's helpful to have a rule of thumb guide. The height matters, too. The higher they are hung, the more power that's needed. For most tents, though, 30 watts per square foot is more than adequate. It's better to have too much power than too little, as long as there's room to move them and/or a dimmer on the light.

Top Bottom