Can someone help me out with defoliating

• Thread starter sevare
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

When do you consider them in veg for the count of 16 days? It seems everyone has a different answer...and I plan on growing like this, but wanted an idea of when you start counting veg. Thanks!
The day they sprout is day 1 veg. Start counting flower when flipped to 12-12

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
i too used to be of the school of thought that defoliating was unnecessary and detrimental. trying something different this round. now, i'm thinking that school of thought doesn't hold up all that much. immediate benefits I noticed:

1. humidity and temperature easier to maintain
2. significant increase in airflow
3. better penetration to viable budsites that will actually produce instead of dealing with a ton of larf
4. reduced maintenance later in the grow

now, i don't recommend anyone due this that doesn't have their environment dialed. feeding, vpd, lighting, etc all need to be dialed otherwise there is a fat chance your plants are going to end up far too stressed.

this is pre-defoliation:

View attachment 1191394

post-defoliation:

View attachment 1191382

six days later:

View attachment 1191371

Not sure what the impact on yield is going to be, but I'm anticipating positive results compared to last run just because the plants are going to produce more usable bud instead of half decent tops and a bunch of larf that's only good for extracts and edibles. Further, keep in mind this is in rockwool. i wouldn't suggest doing this in soil, the growth rates simply aren't there for this to be a viable technique imo.
This will apply more in a tent than in an open space, I get lots of air flow and I have an extra few feet from the edges of the plant. I set reflective panda plastic panels behind the plants 2-3ft so there is space to work on them.

I get some defoliation, in a tent being in a confined space wrapped in a space blanket but you wouldn't do that outside would you? or in an 12'x12' open room

I don't care how nice the results are after just about killing them but I haven't the heart to butcher my girls like that...I'd have nightmares...NFW not for my babies.....Treating them nicely for months then ripping there arms and fingers off just doesn't seem right to me.....

tobh

tobh

Supporter
This will apply more in a tent than in an open space, I get lots of air flow and I have an extra few feet from the edges of the plant. I set reflective panda plastic panels behind the plants 2-3ft so there is space to work on them.

I get some defoliation, in a tent being in a confined space wrapped in a space blanket but you wouldn't do that outside would you? or in an 12'x12' open room

I don't care how nice the results are after just about killing them but I haven't the heart to butcher my girls like that...I'd have nightmares...NFW not for my babies.....Treating them nicely for months then ripping there arms and fingers off just doesn't seem right to me.....
yeah... don't get me wrong, there was nothing enjoyable about doing that to them. with all the work that goes into getting the large and healthy just to turn around and strip em like that was damn near as bad as disciplining my kids. However, depending on the room in a larger setting, what parameters I have at my disposal, etc, then it might be a technique I apply. Outdoors, no f'ing way, there's no point unless it's late season and I have concerns about mold due to rainy conditions and want to ensure more airflow. Even then, it would likely be late in the season and the girls would be nearly done. This is definitely a technique that likely only shows any positive benefits indoors.

one thing of note, they didn't show any signs of stress at all. what remained, remained perky and content, and new growth was visible the very next day. a week later, they've surpassed the density of foliage they had before the defoliation, which i'm convinced comes back to only going that severe when all the other parameters are dialed. if anything else was off, i imagine it would've been a massive stress event for them. as it is, i'm not sure they even noticed i stripped them to twigs.

growsince79

growsince79

Holy crap you grew those for 16 days then flipped to flower??? That’s awesome!

Why does defoliation reduce humidity? Because it slows photosynthesis and transpiration? Making little bottom nugs instead of long sucker branches? Seems to me like if you want big plants in a small space defoliation is a must. If you want maximum yield in a small space, small plants are better. Different strokes... Do whatever works for you.

sevare

sevare

yeah... don't get me wrong, there was nothing enjoyable about doing that to them. with all the work that goes into getting the large and healthy just to turn around and strip em like that was damn near as bad as disciplining my kids. However, depending on the room in a larger setting, what parameters I have at my disposal, etc, then it might be a technique I apply. Outdoors, no f'ing way, there's no point unless it's late season and I have concerns about mold due to rainy conditions and want to ensure more airflow. Even then, it would likely be late in the season and the girls would be nearly done. This is definitely a technique that likely only shows any positive benefits indoors.

one thing of note, they didn't show any signs of stress at all. what remained, remained perky and content, and new growth was visible the very next day. a week later, they've surpassed the density of foliage they had before the defoliation, which i'm convinced comes back to only going that severe when all the other parameters are dialed. if anything else was off, i imagine it would've been a massive stress event for them. as it is, i'm not sure they even noticed i stripped them to twigs.
Can someone help me identify this deficiency
None of my other plants is showing this deficiency. I run 8ml micro 16ml bloom 2.5ml cal mag per gallon

6A862215 BCB6 495B B095 AC321613D308
4E5477F1 22D4 4F13 BD46 9F40DC36F848
18A7C2A3 2429 4161 B073 0B54619D454A
tobh

tobh

Supporter
None of my other plants is showing this deficiency. I run 8ml micro 16ml bloom 2.5ml cal mag per gallon
please see the link in my signature. i'm not going to go back through the thread to fish out all the details about your grow if they were even posted. there's a template to fill out so you provide us ALL the information needed, not just what you think is needed.

growsince79

growsince79

From seed right? You got me all excited now lol.
Depends on the strain and how healthy they are how long you need to veg. Some sativas do great 12-12 from seed. Some indicas won't make shit unless they veg 6 weeks. It just depends. I grow for quality, I don't care about big yields. Sometimes it just happens. Hopefully my next plants will be much smaller.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Depends on the strain and how healthy they are how long you need to veg. Some sativas do great 12-12 from seed. Some indicas won't make shit unless they veg 6 weeks. It just depends. I grow for quality, I don't care about big yields. Sometimes it just happens. Hopefully my next plants will be much smaller.
Awesome! It’s good to know because I don’t care about yield, only quality and variety. Hell, one ounce from each plant would be wayyyy more than enough for me and hook some buddies up until next harvest.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

On my side by side comparison in a completely different setting (no tent) and 4 small trees the plants that were defoliated yielded approximately 20% less than the 2 that weren't.

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
On my side by side comparison in a completely different setting (no tent) and 4 small trees the plants were defoliated yielded approximately 20% less than the 2 that weren't.
was that total plant volume? how was the percentage determined? there's a lot that goes into this discussion and has been rehashed time and time again, and yet a consensus has never been achieved.

not being combative or whatnot, i'm genuinely curious where your numbers come from and based on what parameters. if i didn't need to produce this run, i would've done a side by side as well as i'm still somewhat on the fence.

Dothraki

Dothraki

On my side by side comparison in a completely different setting (no tent) and 4 small trees the plants were defoliated yielded approximately 20% less than the 2 that weren't.
Interesting. Did you log the details? I wonder if style, amount and times of defoliation along with growing conditions in comparison with the added stress come into play.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

its because your not using the grow bottle . Its a 3 part system micro , grow & bloom .

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Interesting. Did you log the details? I wonder if style, amount and times of defoliation along with growing conditions in comparison with the added stress come into play.

I would like to try it again, but I think there's just too many variables going on for a fair assessment

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

or unless your doing the lucas formula which mmm its not something ive tried - my thoughts if they make 3 part nutrients you should use all 3 parts

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

was that total plant volume? how was the percentage determined? there's a lot that goes into this discussion and has been rehashed time and time again, and yet a consensus has never been achieved.

not being combative or whatnot, i'm genuinely curious where your numbers come from and based on what parameters. if i didn't need to produce this run, i would've done a side by side as well as i'm still somewhat on the fence.
Numbers are in the thread.

Percentages are another variable if I'm comparing the 2 small plants or the 2 big one or comparing the 2 big plants to the 2 small ones

Latest posts

Top Bottom