Can someone help me with this soil mix?

• Thread starter aeviaanah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

aeviaanah

a list of a few things i have, can someone tell me if this is a good start for an organic grow supplementing with organic nutrients?

fox farm ocean forest
1oz botanicare zho rhizosphere root inoculant
2oz 100% earthworm castings
2.25oz bat guano high phos 0-13-0
1oz water soluble inoculant with beneficial bacteria
3 types of myco- age old grow, great white, humboldt nutrients

im sure this is enough for a plant or two right? i think ill go out and get some dolomite lime and a few other additives as well...any suggestions on must have items for this soil?

A

aeviaanah

i just went out and bought some age old earth worm castings 1-0-0 and some age old dry grow 8-4-1. how exactly should i go about doing this? should i use the dry grow to feed with later in veg? use it as a top dress or make a tea? i was thinking of using ewc to mix along with ffof.

ill save high phos bat guano for flower
when should i start adding liquid kelp extract, myco, and beneficial bacteria?

if someone could break down the order of operations....this would help me get goin.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow, you really went nuts with the inoculants. Why so many? Especially since FF soil is supposed to be pre-inoculated.

Have you looked at soil mixes yet? Most, if not all of your questions have been laid out pretty specifically already.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

You're on the right track for organic buds; there's an entire forum here at the Farm concerning organic soil. Do some reading and learn! Glad to have you here on the Farm; you'll really enjoy organics once you get them dialed in- I'd recommend looking up Subcool's super soil recipe and start rolling from there.

A

aeviaanah

thanks for the reply everyone. lots of what i listed were from samples. i am trying to make a mix with what i have. here is where i am at....

The age old grow formula i just bought is 100 percent organic....8-4-1. it is derived from meat+bone meal, volcanic rock dust, composted poultry manure, blood meal, bone meal, and humic acid.

i plan on transplanting a well established plant in veg. going from a 5" pot to a 3 gallon.

directions say to mix with potting mixes at 1tbsp per gal. ffof is pretty nutrient rich as it is right? i was also planning on mixing in a few others. how does this sound?

3 gallons of ffof
1 gallon earth worm castings
2 tablespoons of ao grow formula (under recommended dose)
geohumus (as directed)
humboldt nutrients myco maximum granular (as directed)

will this mix be too hot?

are there any must have items in this mix..such as dolomite lime?

roughly how many weeks will this get me through without adding nutrients via top dressings, teas, or liquid organic nutrients.

do top dressings, teas and liquid organic nutrients all do the same thing?

to feed later on, should i use age old grow formula as a top dresser or to make tea?

to feed later on, should i use earthworm castings as a top dresser or to make tea?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
FFOF is a prepared soil media, it already has all the things you are adding back into it...most ammendment programs are done on un-ammended soil...gotta start with nothing in there and then add all those things your addin.

Tex

E

erudite

yea, for sure. Either scratch in or make a tea, both will give you some good results.

A

aeviaanah

so i should just start plants in ffof then as plant shows signs of deficiencies add these items?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
FFOF is good for about three or four weeks before you need to do anything at all to it..

Tex

A

aeviaanah

thanks for the help everyone! im brewing my first tea right now....i started a bubba kush in ffof, fed synthetic nutrients for a few weeks. i am not ready to transplant quite yet but i do want to start soil food web. i have been giving plant water only for a few waterings. i have a gallon of water with an airstone in it sitting out to remove chlorine, i then plan on adding 1/2 tbsp of age old grow organics grow powder (8-4-1) directions on package say 1tbsp per gallon of soil....a half tbsp should be ok for a tea right? i was also going to add some ewc but am unsure of how much. i will then let it brew for 24 hours under a heat pad stabilizing temp around 75. sound good?

i am going to get the peat moss soil mix....mix this with the age old powder, ewc, perlite and dolomite lime. after transplanting this mix should get me through to flower where i plan on using teas and organic nutrients (in a bottle)

S

sobbmx

Stick with Ocean Forest Soil, always ask the shop how long they have had it and where they have stored it, it is a soil that has everything you need for the first three to four weeks right out of the bag. If you pick the bags up and they weigh alot do not by them! They have been in the weather and this causes the soil to loose all of its important aspects before it is grown in. Be for warned lots of shops store their soil out in the elements do not by their soil you will just be dissapointed and they will blame it on Fox Farm.

A

aeviaanah

I mixed the following, roughly...

3 parts peat moss
1.5 parts fox farm ocean forest
1 part perlite
1 part earth worm castings
10 tbsp of age old grow powder
4 oz geohumus

I wet this mix down with dechlorinated water with a bit of FF big bloom. This mix should be a bit hot for seedlings but this is for a well rooted late veg plant. I have dolomite lime coming in the mail. Ill add some before transplant.

Thriv3

Thriv3

Sounds like a real hot mix but with plenty of air to the roots! Maybe just dilute the top few inches so its not so harsh for the seedlings? Looks good have u tried subcools supersoil???

A

aeviaanah

Sounds like a real hot mix but with plenty of air to the roots! Maybe just dilute the top few inches so its not so harsh for the seedlings? Looks good have u tried subcools supersoil???

No I havent tried his supersoil. Ive heard and thought about it. This mix is not for seedlings, this is for transplant in veg.

Top Bottom