Can someone please tell me wtf is going on with this?

• Thread starter AussieHobby
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Hi, woke up to this happening
Can someone please tell me wtf is going on with this
Can someone please tell me wtf is going on with this 2
My mothers, clones and seedling all have the same thing going on. I have looked through the help forums and practically every google search you can think of and I know it is pretty common as I have had it years ago when I grew last but can't remember what it was. Btw that isn't mildew it's tomato dust (pest powder) and it has now been washed off. Some of it looks a bit like boron def but ph is right and nutes are plentiful. Help!!!

AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Hi, woke up to this happening in the middle of the leaves...
image-jpg.396386
image-jpg.396388
My mothers, clones and seedlings all have the same thing going on. I have looked through the help forums and practically every google search you can think of and I know it is pretty common as I have had it before years ago when I grew last but can't remember what it was. Btw that isn't mildew it's tomato dust (pest powder) and it has now been washed off. Some of it looks a bit like boron deffiency but ph is right on point. Help!!!
AussieHobby, Today at 2:32 PM Report
#1Reply

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
WTF? I've never seen that before. At first I was focused on the white stuff and it does indeed look as though something was applied, and since I was focused on that I didn't notice initially what's happening on those newer leaves.

Can you give a timeline with husbandry information, please? Also, have you scoped the leaves to rule out any kind of pest?

AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Mothers are around 2 months old, babies are about a month but since posting this I have main lined them and cut off that dead sort of growth and seedlings are a few days old. I have grown them in a soil medium that I made up from tomato soil mix, and pearlite 3:1 and slow release ferts. They're under a big dual spectrum cfl. Ph is at 6.7. Had something eating 1 leaf on a mother and it looked like an ant with a tail (no idea what it was) but I found it and squished it then dusted plants with tomato dust which is a pest powder. Also have fungus gnats from a couple of pots I had outside that I just introduced to grow room but considering I had just topped the mothers I didn't want to treat them until they were out of shock. It was easy to get rid of on the babies because I just cut it off and new growth looks ok since yesterday but I can't go hacking away at the mothers because it is on all of my new top nodes. The unhealthy parts turn brown but are wet not crinkly. Really stumped!

AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Another thing I thought of was heat, where i am in Australia, one day it's 34c then the next its 22c so maintaining a normal temp can be quite tricky

AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Oh and it happened overnight about a week after I treated the plants for pests

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is this inside cultivation or out? I grow mostly outside here in California and the heat doesn't cause many problems UNLESS the root ball is cooking. The problems I've seen caused are rather different from what you're depicting.

If it's a deficiency or imbalance of some sort, it's something I've never seen and am not familiar with. That might lead one to say it's a pest or disease. I would be more inclined to consider disease than pest, and that's because of the presentation--it appears that the same areas of the leaves are affected in the same manner. For me that usually suggests nutrient issues (deficiency or imbalance). What that might be...?

This is a tough one for me, and it looks like you've gotten lots of views so I'm guessing no one else who's viewed has seen this. More pix, especially clearer pix, would be good.

Chobble

Chobble

Honestly, I would kill everything and restart. If your outdoor you have time and if its indoor your not going to get anything worth your time and money.

The powdery mildew is a systemic problem that your not going to get rid of. If a leaf has even a touch of PM it pulls away more energy then it creates. Your soil mix is most likely the problem. I would say the "slow release fertilizers" where probably mixed in wrong or something is majorly off.

Best advice, Try again.

Chobble

SpiderK

SpiderK

It could be a bad strain / my gage green blanco berry kush outdoor had p.m & it was the only two plants with this issue, same nutes and soil out of 50 plants large and small.

Chobble

Chobble

It's not pm, fellas. He already stated that what looks like pm is a foliar.

I have seen plants that turned out exactly like that in unrinsed coco. Maybe salt toxicity?

Okay I didnt pay close enough attention to what he said.

Honestly, I would kill everything and restart. If your outdoor you have time and if its indoor your not going to get anything worth your time and money.

The powdery mildew is a systemic problem that your not going to get rid of. If a leaf has even a touch of PM it pulls away more energy then it creates. Your soil mix is most likely the problem. I would say the "slow release fertilizers" where probably mixed in wrong or something is majorly off.

Best advice, Try again.

Chobble

Advice still applies.

Maybe you can recover if you flush your soil silly, and possibly rinse those leaves off? Foliars should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave that much residue. Most likely thats what is causing all your problems.

* The only reason you couldnt flush your nutes out is if you applied to much of the slow release fertilizers, Which I think you did so you need a new media.

The science kinda?
The exchange of ions is being screwed up, rather then the plant pulling its nutrients up through osmotic action it is trying to absorb the closer concentration of nutrients located on the leaf. This in turn throws everything off blah blah. I would still start over. Otherwise rethink how you do foliar and start flushing.

Chobble

Last edited:
Natural

Natural

are they getting enough light?
I thought I'd seen sumthin like this before..after your comment it hit me. It looks like some cuts i had in the dark fridge for too long and then put under some good light.

AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Ok, I will try to cover everything in one post. Growing indoors. Positive it's not pm, plants were wet when I dusted them and then it dried like that. Ph is at 6.7 but I considered the slow release ferts and flushed and re potted last night, noticed that the mothers and babies all had root restriction and were running out of room so upped the pot size and replaced medium with organic soil and pearlite. Haven't added anything else. Plants are about a foot from the lights. New growth looks healthy but this strain has been slow growing so won't count my chickens before they hatch. Running 18:6. Salt is something I will have to consider because the pest powder has a high sodium level. And I'm using hypergrow veg nutes. Also I notice that the main effected areas are where water sits, don't know if that has anything to do with it but on a few fans they have started to discolour where the water has sat. Here are some more pics.

Chobble

Chobble

Looks to me like they're trying to come back. I am still leaning toward salt toxicity; you can probably figure out what happened.

Its definitely salts. They're coming back for sure, DRENCH that soil run lots and lots of water through the pot.

Chobble

P.S.

That foliar probably had a big part in it too.

Last edited:
AussieHobby

AussieHobby

Ok thanks, have spent the last 3 hours flushing them all. Water took ages to run clear! Also gave them all a good bath and washed the pest powder off. Hopefully this will help. Thanks again

Myco

Myco

You keep mentioning that "the plants were wet when..." and "where water collects".... etc.... are you regularly misting these plants by chance? I had a buddy noob grower that was getting similar weird leaf anomalies until I told him to stop pointlessly and repeatedly misting/spraying his plants with water... the remaining water droplets can act as a magnifying glass and cook the leaf tissue. It does kind of look like the affected areas are were water could collect...

Side note: I, and many others will apply foliars with lights on, but that's with a wetting agent, and making sure to keep the lights not too close too the plants. Some people never have any problems spraying anything with lights on and have never experienced the magnifying glass effect, but it can indeed happen.

That's my .02.

Top Bottom