Can someone tell me what’s growing on my airstones?

• Thread starter TheCoatimundi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

So this slime has been growing on my airstones and sides of my tank no matter what I use to clean this, it continues to grow back. These stones sit in a stock tank of ro water that never has any nutrients introduced to it, simply water at 0ppm I’ve tried using standard dish soap to clean the tank, bleach, 99.9% iso and it still returns can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it please?

Can someone tell me whats growing on my airstones
josefrahl

josefrahl

Are they in a bucket with no top? If so it will continue to grow back time and time again no matter how you clean them. I wouldn't use bleach while cleaning. Try using peroxide. If it's not covered get it covered. Are you using beneficial bacteria in your grow?

Z

Zill

Coat,

You’re going to need to soak those frits in bleach for a good long time. Then try to blow out the junk. Or buy a second set. One can be cleaned while another set is in use.

josefrahl

josefrahl

Ok so get it covered for sure. Light+water+oxygen is the perfect environment for that slime. Clean it again with 50/50 peroxide/water, and a thorough rinse of water after. You may want to also add the hydroguard to take care of anything that springs up.

TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

Can anyone tell me what exactly it is that’s growing?

Z

Zill

Aye Lad,

Things like slime molds. Some Algae. The bacterium pseudomonas sps. gets a foothold and slime themselves to a surface. It’s a huge problem in the pharmaceutical industry. They make water to process medicines. It’s called water for injection, WFI. It’s continuously circulated in a loop with various taps at 180F. All that to primarily prevent slime from forming.

josefrahl

josefrahl

It's a bacterial slime, but without getting it tested it's impossible to know exacty what type it is.

TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

Any idea on killing these pseudomonas sp. I know I’ve got multiple answers so far but just tryna make sure I have all my options ready to try and eliminate this

Z

Zill

Sure. See an earlier reply. Soak the filters in bleach, sodium hypochlorite. I suspect the filter membrane is plastic? Also have a second filter set. One is being cleaned the other is being used.

On the other hand, those fritted filters may be too fouled to reuse.

TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

I apologize when you say filter I don’t understand what it is you mean do you mean the actual filters in my reverse osmosis?

Z

Zill

Coat,

Sorry. The first part of your thread had a pic of gooey filters. Aren’t those the aerators?

TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

Oh Yes, I’ve always just referred to them as airstones soak those in bleach got it, are there any measures I should take to clean the actual reservoir itself?

Z

Zill

That’s it - air stones! Those things have very fine porosity and are easily fouled. Disconnect put in bleach for a day. Rinse really well and see if that biofilm is removed. How long had been using these before you noticed? I’ll bet quite a while.

TheCoatimundi

TheCoatimundi

They’ve been in use for a couple months now but I’ve only just noticed the biofilm

Z

Zill

Buy a second set while you try to clean the fouled aerators

Top Bottom