Can THC% levels be calculated through decarbing?

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

I was just boning up on decarbing some BHO's for dosing some oral capsules when a light, or possible short circuit spark, went off in my head. Having been recently working in a BHO concentrate lab and dispensary here in Colorado, when we got test results back for THC-a, the THC-a mg count would be multiplied it by .877 (and add the small, actual THCmg's tested) to get what the total decarbed THC mg's or % would be, theoretically.
So in theory, 1.000 gram of a 100% THC-a isolate will produce or decarb to 877 mg of THC. If we can agree on that, then I believe we can calculate a good general % of the THC% in any decarbed Cannabis concentrate oils (BHO, RSO, ...)
Back 50 years to high school Algegra. If I remember correctly, if you know 2 of 3 variablies, you can calulate the 3rd, right? The ole 'if x and y values are known, then z can be figured out' stuff. OK, so here we go with what I think I know.
1 gr of 75% THC-a (750mg) BHO will decarb to 657.75mg or 65.8% THC (750 x .877). So I'll subtract 658mg THC from 750mg THC-a to get a 92mg loss in decarbing (750-658).
First question: So the 1gr at 75% THC-a, is now THC but only weighs 908mg. Is the THC at 65.8%? This is where I begin getting confused.
So if I take 1 gr (1000mg) of concentrated oil and after decarbing it, it weighs 908mg (1000-92), then I will have a decarbed oil that's 65-66% (658mg) THC and have started with a non-decarbed concentrate of around 75% (750mg)THC-a, right?
If that math is correct, then my question is this: Is there a formula one can use to calculate THC-a and THC percentages by calculating the starting weight minus the total weight loss being 12.3% of the THC-a decarbing loss that will give you a THC percentage? As soon as I try thinking about those calculations as a formula, I get reeeeal dizzy. Must be time for another dab... 🙃
Thanks for your help and comments.

rayi

rayi

I don't know anything about tyhe subject but I am impressed at the thought process.

Top Bottom