Can the remains of plain greek yogurt be used for any type of plant additive?

• Thread starter optical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
optical

optical

Kind of a random question, my apologies, but these are the things a stoner ponders randomly while eating breakfast.

Every single day, I eat berries and greek yogurt as part of my daily routine. As a result, I end up with a fair bit of leftover bits of plain yogurt in the bottom of containers that I inevitably just rinse down the drain.

I recently read something about using leftover milk to make some kind of LAB product which got me wondering, is there anything I can do with unsweetened high protein plain greek yogurt as well? Any kind of strange science fermentation? Something I could either later use as a foliar or a soil feeding?

Just trying to repurpose it and not wash it down the drain, hopefully this makes sense!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

This is an interesting question.
I'm sure that in a living soil situation you could add this to your watering solution.
There will be Calcium and many other nutrients in it your plant could utilize or benefit from.
You would need a good microbe base to break milk byproducts down although many would already be plant available
as the bacteria creating the yogourt has already done it's job.

I don't think I would use it in a peat moss based potting medium as there would likely not be enough microbiology and it
could just turn rancid and stink rather than feeding the microbe population.

You could add it to compost pile as there is lots of life to eat it and make it plant available after a period of time.

D

DougV

Disclaimer: I grew up in the chemical fertilizer industry. That’s what I use and that’s what I know best.

I got curious and did a quick google search. Everything I saw says yep yogurt can be used, and easily. Make a 50/50 yogurt/water solution and add to the root zone periodically.

But for outdoors I can think of one potential problem. Animals. I can picture a dog with a big grin and mud all over him as he gleefully rolls over the wonderful smell surrounding your now crushed plant.

Top Bottom