Can you overdose on molasses?

• Thread starter SHiNi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SHiNi

SHiNi

Hey guys it's winter season here so not growing known strain waiting for spring.Im busy experimenting with random plants and bagseed.What is did was collected a random cannabis plant it was busy eating itself so I brought it home and nursed it to great health.But 2 bottom leaves always pointed downwards thought it was coz I wanted to see how dry the medium can get before I watered.Today medium was dry to the point of cracking from the side of the pot plant was still happy healthy and praying.I then mixed up some molasses say about 5ml to 1/2 a litre water with some myco sprinkled in this was my first watering after 4 days since transplant.But after I watered it the leaves went droopy of the plant but the other younger one was still happy and praying.So...what I want to know is can you overdose on molasses ?

My medium is :Orgasoilux Craft Supersoil
Light. : Sun
Thanks in advance just curious.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t know if it makes a huge difference but they say to use unsulfured molasses. Make sure that’s what yours is. Just two cents. and molasses is used to feed the colonies of bacteria in the soil. I don’t think of plant partake of it directly. So I kind of doubt if that’s your problem. Maybe the soil was still wet in the middle. And you wound up in advertently overwatering. That’s what one of those cheap moisture meters will help you with.

Last edited:
SHiNi

SHiNi

Lol morning thanks for the input guys appreciate it woke up this morning by the pots laying on the ground and 1 plant in the pot and other one gone.Mustve been one of the cats or dogs 😪.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Molasses will quickly overload K in you soil if you use it often. Very high in potassium in terms of % and people should understand what a high level of K locks out..... Calcium, Phos, Mag as well as Boron and Nitrogen. I don't use any molasses and think it is unneeded fully. It feeds microbes for a boost but other than once in a blue moon.....I don't get it

SHiNi

SHiNi

Molasses will quickly overload K in you soil if you use it often. Very high in potassium in terms of % and people should understand what a high level of K locks out..... Calcium, Phos, Mag as well as Boron and Nitrogen. I don't use any molasses and think it is unneeded fully. It feeds microbes for a boost but other than once in a blue moon.....I don't get it
Thanks for the info Homesteader I knew it had K but didn't know it has such high percentages Thats why I'm using this time to experiment and try new things.So for me Molasses dilution ratio was way too strong strange for me was the seedling with only true leaves took it like a Champ but bigger one with 3 nodes wilted.Thanks for the input and info guys appreciate it.Time for new experiment lol.

Homesteader

Homesteader

A rough NPK I have heard for Molassess is around .5-0-4....The problem is with accumulation. Once the soil gets loaded with it, then it will be too late, and you have lock out. Mag can be given foliar but the rest are an issue. Best to just use it once in a while or not.

SHiNi

SHiNi

How the plant looked when I adopted it was busy eating itself and the last ones is how it looked this morning.

Compress 20230503 092153 3141
Compress 20230503 092152 2549
Compress 20230503 092151 1906
Compress 20230503 092151 1313
Compress 20230503 092150 0614
Compress 20230503 092150 0000
SHiNi

SHiNi

A rough NPK I have heard for Molassess is around .5-0-4....The problem is with accumulation. Once the soil gets loaded with it, then it will be too late, and you have lock out. Mag can be given foliar but the rest are an issue. Best to just use it once in a while or not.
Thanks bro didn't even know it had Nitrogen in it thought it was just K and a whole bunch of micros,carbs and sugars for the micro organisms.Learnt alot with this experiment Thanks gonna germinate some more seeds and try some new things.Just glad I didn't pay for good seeds lol.Thanks again.

SHiNi

SHiNi

I would keep them growing and give them nitrogen. That is what they really need. I don't see any lock out or anything but its early
Thanks interesting read lol funny though how molasses tsunami killed 21 people.Interesting website also.

Will check this afternoon if it's still alive and will have to go search for the other seedling will post an update then.

SHiNi

SHiNi

Just got home now and found the plants is missing and the other pot is totally empty guess the dogs or cats ate them lesson learn molasses attracts dogs and cats lol never knew hope they didn't eat the soil aswell.Thanks post can be closed.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
the other younger one was still happy and praying.

Praying doesn’t necessarily mean good health in can also be a sign of stress. Every time my plants have prayed hard it’s been down to stress.

Like yourself I thought it meant good health till I read up on it more

Edit
Oh they got eaten

laugh or cry right that or it’s hotdogs and cats for dinner

Last edited:
SHiNi

SHiNi

Praying doesn’t necessarily mean good health in can also be a sign of stress. Every time my plants have prayed hard it’s been down to stress.

Edit
Oh they got eaten

Good health to me here in South Africa is a green Praying plant the sun here seems more intense I let them ride the sun from seedling so they get use to it.I just water in the morning if I know it's gonna be a scorcher of a day and if I come back from work and they looking like tacos or "canoeing " then I know they stressed and angry lol I then just put them in shade give them a mist and a good drink and they all good the next day.

My bet would be on the cats that ate it coz when I opened up the bottle of molasses a few minutes later they all ran to the room meowing coz the unshulperd molasses smells a bit like fish caused by the fermentation.lol I just looked at them when I got back they don't wanna be around me as usual so they guilty lol 🤣

They not as hungry as usual either I guess the nutrition was more then enough for them with some microbes for desert lol ✌️

SHiNi

SHiNi

Edit
Oh they got eaten

Lol they back and recovering found the smaller one this morning she should be up straight by this afternoon.some damaged leaves but should grow out of it.
Compress 20230507 105626 6513
Compress 20230507 105626 6025
Compress 20230507 105625 5518

Top Bottom