Can You Really Preserve Cuttings With Water?

• Thread starter vangs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vangs

vangs

im going to take cuts at location a and then i need to drive 10min to another location... opeople say if you cut them and submerge them in water, they will be fine.. is that true? how long will they last in water? i dont want air getting into the cutting and killing it.

iKharon

iKharon

yes its true I have done some times take cuts put in cup fill about 1/4 with water and dump it every 12-24 hours and refill
This is very true! :) I also use 6.3 water on it.. seem to respond to the lower ph than like tap water which mine runs at like 7.7-8

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
im going to take cuts at location a and then i need to drive 10min to another location... opeople say if you cut them and submerge them in water, they will be fine.. is that true? how long will they last in water? i dont want air getting into the cutting and killing it.
I throw them in a bucket sometimes hours... give yourself some room on the stem to cut fresh stem when you dip and plug.. that prevents embolism

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
300ppm and 6.0pH soak for 24 hours before you set them in plugs. With proper environment you'll start having 90%+ rates following that formula.

Not that you asked, but figured I'd offer a suggestion

vangs

vangs

yeah im trying to avoid embolism... i read that air can get into the cuts really fast... is that true? so if i cut 50 cuts. i just put them in a cup of water and then i can move the cup with the cuts in it to my other location 10 minutes away and i wont have to worry about them getting embolisms?

iKharon

iKharon

yeah im trying to avoid embolism... i read that air can get into the cuts really fast... is that true? so if i cut 50 cuts. i just put them in a cup of water and then i can move the cup with the cuts in it to my other location 10 minutes away and i wont have to worry about them getting embolisms?
When you transfer to new cup, make a new cut a tad above original cut..just to be safe

vangs

vangs

When you transfer to new cup, make a new cut a tad above original cut..just to be safe
i only plan on putting the 50 cuts in a cup of water once and then 10 min later when i get to new location, im gunna put them in ezcloner.... so do i still need to recut it an inch ligher when i twsake them out of the cup of water?

iKharon

iKharon

i only plan on putting the 50 cuts in a cup of water once and then 10 min later when i get to new location, im gunna put them in ezcloner.... so do i still need to recut it an inch ligher when i twsake them out of the cup of water?
Play with it bro.. cut some don't cut some.. see what happens.. no one magical set in stone way of doing it. Be a mad scientist.. that way you'll see what is best for you :)

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Also, if you wait too long to get them in water.. you can get them submerged and make a new cut about an inch down Original cut.. also prevents embolism as my bro said up top!
Yep! Right on the money!

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

No.

Here's tge way I do.

There's NO water in tge green house. I take cuttings with a razor Blade.

Take them in tge house where i have rooting hormone dissolvef in ib a clean ash tray. I place stems in Water abd cut my 45 degree angle and cut the stem vertically so tge clone has more area to develop roots from. Dip ret stem in Dry rooting hormone and stick in rock wool.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thats an air embolism. .. if you cut a plant dry and dip it and plug it... you increase the chance of killing the cut by at least 50%
Make your second cut under water... skin the side... dip and plug

Top Bottom