Can you use dry ice as CO2 in your growroom?

• Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
If u got a brain it's not and frankly have you done it? I have and it works out well....I posted a warning and that's that.....plz explain and elaborate on why it should be deleted
I was using my brain there, just so you know.

Junk

Junk

I didn't read this whole thread but just fyi, you don't supplement co2 during the dark period. Lights on only. So if you are using it during the dark period, it's a waste.

As far as danger, eh...almost everything is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. People use dry ice all the time without dying, there's no real reason the OP couldn't be one of those people. I didn't see any co2 numbers though. What was your starting co2 level and after the dry ice? However...

The dry ice route isn't cost effective, even if you have a guy. My last flower space was 6' x 11' x 7', and to replenish co2 to 1200 ppm every hour during lights on cost me $40-$60 a month, it varies depending on plant size. I mean you need a regulator, timer, etc, but it's by far the easier and cheaper route.

Also, imo, the co2 needs to be for the entire 12/12 cycle. What we are doing is raising the plants metabolism. Bumping it up a few times a week...on paper, it's good, it's better. But the gains will be slight and probably not super noticeable.

To give you an analogy, it's like if you ate a clean diet every day, and exercised appropriately. That raises your metabolic rate in a way that will be noticeable. Assuming you are healthy, you burn more calories, your energy will be higher, weight loss, etc. Eating clean one or two meals a week and exercising sporadically, isn't going to raise your metabolic rate in a way that is very noticeable. To really reap the benefits of Co2, it needs to be a "constant", not occasional, to be worth the effort.

All imo and a fair amount of ime.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Plants do not need co2 at night.

And warning to all, DO NOT USE that
dry ice tek above. Not only is it extremely dangerous, but your wasting dry ice, and not really getting any amount of co2 saturation for any period of time. 1hr a day of enriched co2 isn't going to do squat for your plants.

Once again, please do not use the above method for dry ice co2. It's not safe, and may kill you if your not smart enough.

1959LesPaul

I would also be afraid of the gas vapor around electricity, because it is wet, and I would think it can conduct electricity ????

Plants Transpire in the Day, and Respire at night.

You need to supplement with Oxygen:smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::opps::opps::opps::opps::opps: when lights out.:fire::fire::fire::fire:

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Plants do not need co2 at night.

And warning to all, DO NOT USE that
dry ice tek above. Not only is it extremely dangerous, but your wasting dry ice, and not really getting any amount of co2 saturation for any period of time. 1hr a day of enriched co2 isn't going to do squat for your plants.

Once again, please do not use the above method for dry ice co2. It's not safe, and may kill you if your not smart enough.
LOL,,,,,, just when you think youve seen and heard it all. :D

1959LesPaul

Pouring mt dew in a pot takes the #1 spot.........

Actually using a raid fogger in your grow room is the #1 of all time epic fails!.

Ive got 1 on par with the raid fogger, but it was on a small outside plant. 4 weeks ago. My friend did it. Hes also been growing 50 years. I don't know what he was thinking.

Oh yes I do. He wasn't thinking.

My buddy noticed some bugs on 1 of his plants, and he decided to try some.....

OFF!!!!!!

Didn't kill the plant, but severely burned it.

Junk

Junk

I would also be afraid of the gas vapor around electricity, because it is wet, and I would think it can conduct electricity ????

Plants Transpire in the Day, and Respire at night.

You need to supplement with Oxygen:smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::opps::opps::opps::opps::opps: when lights out.:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Technically, water doesn't conduct electricity. It's the dissolved minerals or other "pollutants" that conduct electricity in the water. The water is just the "container" of the real conductive material.

Dry ice, iirc, isn't conductive, corrosive, chemically caustic, or inherently toxic. The part you are seeing in the air I believe is just condensing the humidity in the air because the temp of the vaporizing co2 is lower than the dew point. It's causing the humidity in the room to fog. Just like real fog.

Once that process stops, the temps are above the dew point and the "clouds" will turn back into invisible "humidity." That's why you see the fog and then it dissipates. It's very similar to how fog works. Well...it is "real" fog.

So....I wouldn't do it in a room with electronics in it. Not just because of the dry ice...but because the humidity in a grow room for much of the cycle is such that electronics (imo) shouldn't be in there anyway.

But the dry ice vaporization/sublimation is going to pull some humidity out of the air and put it in a more condensed form, just like a cloud in the sky. So I wouldn't want a room with electronics in it, to have condensing water in the air. In fact, I want as little vaporized water as possible. But I also wouldn't do this method anyway, regardless of the above.

It's not cost effective. It's much more work than filling a tank once a month, and I've yet to see any numbers on it, but the returns would most likely be minimal.

But I do love seeing the videos of it. And no disrespect to the OP. It's fun to see. It's just not practical for this purpose.

Monster762

Monster762

The idea is not cost efficient, nor easily controllable. (and you don't use co2 at night)
I second this. It is not really controllable and unless you buy the equip to make your own it will cost you $10-$20 a day to keep the levels up. It also has the possibility of changing temp in a sealed room way to rapidly. It's just not the way to go. I did it before. Now I have seen canisters and read about co2 for fish tanks. I know you are looking at the cost of a real system being a little crazy but in long run it's a better deal.

Monster762

Monster762

Warning!
Please do not attempt to use dry ice in this manner. It is NOT safe, and can KILL YOU if you try it this way. It serves no co2 saturation abilities for any period of time.
Once again do not use this tek!
Brought to you by demontrich...only cause I care. Lol

I have actually had the opportunity to utilized dry ice in my tent.....it isn't cost efficient........unless u got a guy I am lucky enough to have a place by my house that sells dry ice and my guy works there.....I get 80-100 lbs of chunk slabbed dry ice for $10 ......I go through this within a week and that includes the dissipation rate....I use two buckets ......one above canopy and one elevated to mid level of plants in center of tent on 2 milk crates so the co2 gets in the torso of the plant .....I boil a kettle or pot of water.....the hotter the water the bigger the reaction ......after the reaction slows down and stops....it'll sound like its boiling....when it's done smoking, add more boiling water.....keep doing this til no more ice.......dump pails....make sure they're sturdy plastic no bigger than 1 gallon ......fill up again with dry ice chunks and set in places but just let it dissipate ......don't add water.....repeat this 2-3 times a day for a week......I use it as fast and efficiently as possible would rather feed it to the ladies than let it dissipate....I like it.....DO NOT GET IN UR TENT WHILE REACTION IS HAPPENING DO NOT PUT UR HEAD IN THERE EITHER DO NOT REPLACE UR OXYGEN SUPPLY WITH CO2 ITS RETARDED AND CAN AND MAY IN FACT KILL YOU.
80-100 lbs for dry ice is dirt cheap I paid like $1.29 a pound here and only one store within 20 miles even carries it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom