Canadaseed - ongoing projects

• Thread starter canadaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
canadaseed

canadaseed

Hello Farm,

Starting a journal to document my grows. All tips and insights are welcomed.

A small scale grow for personal consumption. Goals are to learn new techniques as well as to gain knowledge into the art of cannabis growing.

Setup:

Strains: (from seed)
Purple Kush
Lavender s-1
Durban Poison x Unknown
Island Sweet Skunk

Media:
30% compost (nit 0,6 - phosphoric Acid 0,4 - potash 0,4)
50% sphagnum peat moss, perlite limestone
8% sand
3% dolomite lime
5% rock pebbles
4% coffee grinds

Also running deep water culture still being setup tho.

Lighting:
vegetative - T8 fluorecent, CFL
flowering - (2) 250watt hps and additional CFL
time - veg 18/6 flower 11/13

Nutrients:
Nectar of the Gods... i'm looking for another line of nutrients do you guys have any suggestions? Organic suitable for deep water culture and soil mix.

Will update with pics soon, gotta get a new SD card.

way2green

way2green

@candaseed
I have grown the majority of the strains you listed. Hell, I have been growing island sweet skunk off and on for over a decade. Iss likes all of the foxfarm nutes. Especially loves tiger bloom but I mostly use general hydroponics nutes.
Happy growing!!!!!

canadaseed

canadaseed

Hey @way2green thx for the info on the nutes for the ISS. wow u've been growing that strain for over a decade nice!! do u run clones or from seeds? I personally love that strain so much im excited to grow it. i'll check out the tiger bloom also trying to find organic nutes for DWC. I'm gonna grab clones from each plant root in rockwool then off to the DWC.

canadaseed

canadaseed

How can i have fungus gnat larva in my 2 day newly planted seedling without any adult gnats in sight. God damn lol i literally went overboard trying to get rid of them last grow, i actually stopped the grow moved all the plants. Thought i killed them all, til i saw them again in the new grow. whether it's my grow media (pre-contaminated) or stealthy fungus gnats I'm choosing to accept it on this grow. I have noticed some adults flying around (smacked em) I barely have any i'll try and keep them in check the whole grow.. I can't believe they're back.
Since i only see the odd one flying around and just today noticed larva i am gonna set up yellow stickies and steel wool over the soil top.

Either way after this run of DWC if i like that i'll use only DWC in the future.

My compost says *use outdoors only* i didn't notice till after planting.. could the compost be hosting the fungus gnat larva?

way2green

way2green

A few nugz from an ISS I took last week. The best pheno I ever had was a skunk #1 pheno. I kept that mother for probanly 5 or 6 years. It was so strong and skunky I alwsys had anxiety when I trimmed it. I have never found an Iss pheno that good again. I got those beans from the old Federation seeds co. I don't remember where I got the last beans. I bought about 6 or 7 packs trying to find something close to that bad bitch but no luck......

CAM00741
canadaseed

canadaseed

Nice that ISS pheno there has nice sativa structure to it. I love the summer field flower blossom smell of ISS and it actually follows through on to the palate. I've had ISS that was cut too early, the high was sketchy i actually broke out in a sweat!! So i definitelly know to let the trichs get a bit amber.. I believe federation is still selling ISS and next gen has them too. I've been fortunate to pickup ISS a few times. So far i've tried 3 phenos i like them all a lot lol!! I'll post pics of the one's i've tried to give an idea.. let me know if any of the ISS u've grown looked like any of these?? The pic u posted i've never seen ISS express itself that way, ur right when u say u had a killer pheno.. looks unique!

Internet pic (favorite)
Island Sweet Skunk Bud

Internet pic (2nd fav)
Island Sweet Skunk Buds

Personal batch (3rd fav)
Island Sweet Skunk

way2green

way2green

I know your first and second pheno well. Never seen #3. Crazy. I just know what this strain offers..... top shelf in every category? Where can Federation genes be found. I thought they dissolved

canadaseed

canadaseed

I'm not 100% sure but http://www.theamsterdam.com/ it appears may still offer them. They have a skunk #1 in their catalog atm... didin't see ISS tho. I got the seeds from the grower of that 3rd pic... As for the genetic lineage I'm not sure if this stems from Federation ISS or Next Gen ISS. Should be fun to see how she does!!

I'm legit freaking out right now tho!! my soil mix was hosting fungus gnats... what should i do guys i just found 3 larva eating the inner stem of a clone...

what to do?

1. combat them
2. transplant (wash roots clean) plant into new medium

I'm afraid if i transplant and wash the roots that i may stress them out. Seeing as these larva ARE in all my grow pots can i wipe them out before they even get a chance to fly?... steel wool...lady bugs... any agents i can use that are safe for seedling. updates with pics coming soon!

canadaseed

canadaseed

Sorry for the low quality pics im using a cheap cellphone camera til i get a new SD. The Lavender has a stench of gamey road kill skunk,, funky lol!!

Lineup from left-to-right is:

Purple Kush
Lavender
Purple Kush (2)
Durban Poision x unknown
Island Sweet Skunk

Winter 2014 2015

This is Purple Kush (2) the only one i topped. It looks male to me. The durban to its bottom right has beautiful thin sativa leafs, lovely.
Purple kush winter 2

canadaseed

canadaseed

The way these leafs are praying or clawing is really cool to me. I am 100% sure this is caused by my soil mix. must be the coffee lol. Even the little baby Durban Poison is clawing the same way. Since transplanting I've noticed the curvy claws on all my plants not the Lavender tho.
Curvy claw 2

Curvy claw

Curvy claw 3 2

TortureKill

TortureKill

Sucks to hear about the fungus gnats. I would recommend you add a bit more perlite to your mix to allow your pots to drain faster and easier and keep the mix a little less damp, which is what attracts the gnats. I know u could prob bake your soil mix in the oven to destroy any of the eggs or larvae. I would try transplanting into a new mix entirely, but if thats not an option try baking yours. Here's some simple instructions for sterilizing your mix:

Oven Method - Spread soil not more than four inches deep in non-plastic containers, such as clay pots and glass or metal baking pans. Cover each container tightly with aluminum foil. Insert a meat or candy thermometer through the foil into the center of the soil. Set the oven between 180° and 200° F. Heat the soil to at least 180° F; keep at this temperature for 30 minutes. Do not allow the temperature to go above 200° F. High temperatures may produce plant toxins. After heating, cool, remove containers from the oven and leave aluminum foil in place until ready to use. The heated soil will give off an odor.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Another tip, after sterilizing, I would top your mix with 1" or so of sand, and possibly some diatomaceous earth to keep the gnats from reentering and reinfecting your pots.

canadaseed

canadaseed

Hey @TortureKill thanks so much for the tips gonna go buy some perlite also get bags of new soil mix. I can transplant everyone except for the oldest purple kush.. not gonna run the risk so i'll just try and battle them in that one. im lucky to have a few grow areas here so I'll isolate her for the rest of her life. I seriously don't know why i didn't heat my soil mix didn't even think of it at the time. I appreciate you sharing the method for heating soil im a hypochondriac when it comes to environmental toxins i wont even touch those hand held vapes made in china, no thank u lol. thk u for making me aware of the potential danger of releasing plant toxins. I'm wondering about freezing... would freezing kill larva and eggs?

TortureKill

TortureKill

Def quarantine that one purple kush so your not reinfecting your others. I would think the freezing would just put them in a stasis to hatch later.. may kill the larvae but the eggs or whatever I can say for certain.. I would think theyd be in stasis until conditions were right to hatch.. Good luck with that battle man. Keep us posted.

canadaseed

canadaseed

ya i'll do that for sure.. good to know freezing is not sufficent means to kill eggs. heating the soil it is then! getting my new spot setup this afternoon just gotta clean it up a bit then the PK is going there. thx for the luck wish i am hoping i can stop these bugs before they even fly out of the soil for the first time. I figure if i line sand and some perlite and then thick layers of steel wool on top of yellow sticky's i mean i dont see how they could survive that lol. I'll keep u guys updated.

canadaseed

canadaseed

I'm getting my flower room ready... setting up the lights this weekend. Another 7-14 days before I'll place them in the flower room.

(Island Sweet Skunk)
ISS w14 15

Coming along nicely no signs of bugs so far. Plan to mother this one, flower a few clones until the outdoor season comes around again. Question: Can a mothered plant be brought outdoors and flowered and pollinated?
Plans to pollinate ISS outdoors in spring 2015.

(Lavender - PK - PK2)
Grow w14 15

Lavender - is looking very promising, she's showed sex with some very robust calyx's. Smell is of gamey road kill skunk. This i'm assuming will stay with her right up until the last few weeks where she'll take on a nauseating dill smell. Given i have no idea what the phenolic profile will be, the plant that gave the seeds had a piney dill taste.

Purple Kush - had a very nice baked goods smell going on early in veg... stank up my whole upper floor with a bakery smell lol. She's lost her smell completely... not stinking at all. She showed sex too, female.

Purple Kush 2 - is a male i'm almost 100% sure and he has had the same bakery goods smell all through the grow. Has not showed sex yet but PK 1 has, another reason i'm thinking male, also has typical male structure.

Landrace Project

Goal is mix the genes this way:

Ciskei > pollinate > Girl Scout Cookies = Seeds

Ciskei x Girl Scout Cookies > pollinate > Ciskei = Seeds

Strain: Ciskei (100% Sativa)
Strain Type: Highland SouthAfrican 5th generation
Type: Regular
Flowering times: 55-65 days (however growers say it finishes 70-74 days)
Yield: High yielder indoor and outdoors
Bouquet: From pine-green apple-spicy to more fruity and citric
Ciskei

I am buying the seeds from this company, I'm hoping they're good?http://www.tropicalseedscompany.com/portfolio/ciskei/

canadaseed

canadaseed

thx guys!! :) i'll update with pics when they go into flower.. can't wait to get those seeds!

Top Bottom