Canna Coco?

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BCrocker

BCrocker

Anyone using Canna coco that comes in the bags?

I have heard of guys washing/flushing their coco before they actually use it. Any more information on that? Or a link to a thread that has the How-to for Coco? :)

Burnz

Burnz

No real need to flush canna coco before use. Comes pre buffered and pH balanced and all that goodness, ready to use straight from the bag :) Any RHP certified coco I dont really wash or anything.. Just the cheap shit that comes in blocks that you have to expand :) although I dont use that crap anymore..

L

lostnFound02

sorry to hijack ur thread but I wanted to know do you have to use canna A+b base nutes or can i use AN nutes.

M

mrdizzle

cannas good but I flush all and every coco I use, I drump a ton of water throu it then like TF, I dump some 600ppm thru it with cal.

I personally like the brick coco better, its a little chunkier and drains much better, and is cheaper.

nuttso

nuttso

i use canna coco professional without flush. canna nutes ph 5.8. if you wan't you can brake the buffer if you run a ton of cal/mag flushing agent mix throught it.

Burnz

Burnz

cannas good but I flush all and every coco I use, I drump a ton of water throu it then like TF, I dump some 600ppm thru it with cal.

I personally like the brick coco better, its a little chunkier and drains much better, and is cheaper.

No real expert or anything, but if your putting all that effort into flushing canna coco (or any RHP certified bagged coco) then no surprise your getting the same results as the bricked stuff. The main reason I go for the bagged coco (and probably alot of other growers) is so I dont have to put the effort into washing it and making sure there is no shit in there :)

I dont mind canna coco, but use Galuku when I can get it because that is also a bit chunkier :)

S

Snow Crash

Here's a picture of some seedlings started in Canna Coco. The coco was not fed any nutrition.

As you can clearly see, the pre-charge already present in Canna Coco can be far too much for many young seedlings.

I will never start seeds in unwashed coco. There's just no reason for it. Generally speaking you only need to flush out a very small fraction of coco. In this case I didn't need more than 1 gallon of coco and it took me only a moment to rinse once I was able to recognize the issue.

The entire concept that you, as a new grower, cannot figure out how to charge your coco is misguided. Seedlings don't need much, if any, nutrition early on. I find that as the plants require feeding, and I feed them coco nutrients, the coco does a fine job of establishing the Cation bank and the CEC of the media.

Takes 1 minute, gives me peace of mind, and my seedlings don't look like this anymore.

So yeah. I'd flush the shit out of Canna if you ever caught me using the stuff again. Pictures=Experiences. Words=Heresay. You are smart enough to make up your own mind on the matter, I am certain.

IMG 2464
ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I have started 100 seedling's in pure botanicare coco and never had a problem cocogrow is rally high grade stuff and wrks amazing and its like $17 a bag so not too expensive I dnt like atami really salty royal gold is good but I like the botanicare cocogrow the best never tried canna can't get it around my part thought about trying sunshine just coir heard good things about that and maybe trying that super expensive gold label coco its $30 a bag but supposed to be the best out their and i use advanced in pure coco and it works amazing.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

i use canna also, no wash , and a different brand nutes.

not all bagged coco is good, i tried black gold and runoff was around 1800 consistanty on plain ro water. fried my plants cause i assumed it was ready to use cause it was in a bag like the canna...

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
Thats how the atami was when i used it the run off was so high my blue lab combo meter couldn't even register it. I have never tried black gold just Royal gold but I have heard good things about black gold until now that is.

A

aRiv

i been running canna for some years now, never flushed it and have started plenty of beans in it that way also. works well for cloning also, with straight tap water and dipped in some clonex.

Dizzle, i seen in another thread you run or ran the bricks from Hoe's depoT... Are you still running it? and do you use the BeatsPeat bricks or that "HyperGrow" brand brick they carry?

i ordered 10 bricks of the BeatsPeat, trying to get away from the canna bagged stuff and will only need to buy 1 bag for clones instead of 30 for a rip:bong2:

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
When did Canna start precharging their coco? Bcuzz is but Canna isn't. Bcuzz is also almost 30 bucks or more stateside at least round here.

"CANNA Coco substrate is a 100% organic product having a fine, uniform structure, free from viruses, chemical additives and soil diseases. The fact that CANNA Coco is not steamed is not the only thing that distinguishes it from other substrates; this is also achieved by the use of pure, first class source materials. Which come from India, where CANNA’s production facilities use fresh water only to soak the coco. This to make sure no salts gets in contact with CANNA Coco, ensuring a clean product.

Strong root formation, powerful growth and reusability are combined in the CANNA Coco substrate. It also combines the tolerance and organic nature of soil, with the feeding precision when growing in hydroponics. It has a complex balance between water and air which means that it outstrips other substrates. CANNA Coco substrate has been developed and tailored to the needs of the CANNA grower."

http://www.cannagardening.com/coco_50l_bags

P

Pimples

Canna brand coco...whether the bag or brick is precharged to 0.6 ec of mostly calcium and magnesium and some iron.

X.rm

X.rm

Anyone using Canna coco that comes in the bags?

I have heard of guys washing/flushing their coco before they actually use it. Any more information on that? Or a link to a thread that has the How-to for Coco? :)
Ive been using canna coco for years now, new and reused and all ive got to say it's the best fuckin medium ivevused hsnds down. All that washing, leaching salts is bullshit. All you have to dial in is your cal mag the first couple of weeks thats it. Dude i clone in str8 coco and a bit ov bennies. And b to tell youbthe truth, ive used everh othervtop shelf coco voir out there and have never had to wash it. Canna is the best though. Especially if you use they're nutes wigh it. Wich i dont by the way.

P

Pimples

I'm guessing that is the CoGr buffering agent they use?
Probably. I have no experience with the CoGr line up but i imagine that CoGr buffering solution is largely comprised of calcium nitrate, magnesium, iron and fulvic acid.

P

Pimples

I have read up on the Pele Mix coco coir slabs (they call them lay flat bags) that greenhouse growers use and what they do with fertilizer pretreatment before planting. The grower injects a fairly strong fertilizer thats high in cal nitrates and zero potassium and lets the slabs "sit" for awhile. What astounds me is the EC they run there fertilizers at when growing huge crops of veggies on massive drip fertigation systems. Like 2.8 and 3.2 EC levels. Injected into the water supply with Dosatrons. No tank reservoirs except for stock A and B solutions and pH adjusters. Pretty neato if you ask me.

Last edited:
F

friend

Here's a picture of some seedlings started in Canna Coco. The coco was not fed any nutrition.

As you can clearly see, the pre-charge already present in Canna Coco can be far too much for many young seedlings.

I will never start seeds in unwashed coco. There's just no reason for it. Generally speakoping you only need to flush out a very small fraction of coco. In this case I didn't need more than 1 gallon of coco and it took me only a moment to rinse once I was able to recognize the issue.

The entire concept that you, as a new grower, cannot figure out how to charge your coco is misguided. Seedlings don't need much, if any, nutrition early on. I find that as the plants require feeding, and I feed them coco nutrients, the coco does a fine job of establishing the Cation bank and the CEC of the media.

Takes 1 minute, gives me peace of mind, and my seedlings don't look like this anymore.

So yeah. I'd flush the shit out of Canna if you ever caught me using the stuff again. Pictures=Experiences. Words=Heresay. You are smart enough to make up your own mind on the matter, I am certain.

You are water boarding you're seedlings :banghead: there asking for food and you're giving them water :facepalm:

Top Bottom