• Start date
  • Tagged users None
monkeybone

monkeybone

Bonez
Supporter
Isomerisation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In chemistry isomerisation is the process by which one molecule is transformed into another molecule which has exactly the same atoms, but the atoms are rearranged e.g. A-B-C → B-A-C (these related molecules are known as isomers [1]). In some molecules and under some conditions, isomerisation occurs spontaneously. Many isomers are equal or roughly equal in bond energy, and so exist in roughly equal amounts, provided that they can interconvert relatively freely, that is the energy barrier between the two isomers is not too high. When the isomerisation occurs intramolecularly it is considered a rearrangement reaction.:

Author D. Gold explains in his book, that this process of Isomerizing rotates the molecules into their most pharmacologically active form, the delta-9 isomer of THC.

What it does for us is rearrange the cbn molecules into THC molecules increasing potency and refining the concentrate. In the final step of the refining process an acid is used to perform the actual molecule rotation (isomerization).

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold scanned for online research:

High Res Scan Version in Adobe PDF:

Per Cannabis Alchemy:

Cannabidiol
|
| Heat and
| H+ (from the acid)
|
\ /

Delta-9 THC (using formal numbering)
Delta-1 THC (using monoterpenoid numbering)
|
| Heat and
| H+ (from a stronger acid acting longer)
|
\ /

Delta-6 THC (aka Delta-8 THC -- depends on the numbering system used)

This Delta-6 THC is a higher-rotating form of tetrahydrocannabinol. D. Gold (author of Cannabis Alchemy) suggests that the higher-rotating forms "are more potent than the low-rotating and produce a higher, more psychedelic and spritual effect." He notes a study done by Mechoulan (1970) which showed little difference between the pharmacological effects of Delta-9 and Delta-6.

The "rotating" spoken of here refers to the relative positions of the double bonding in the THC molecule.

The first reaction, Cannabidiol --> Delta-9 THC, is, I think, what is generally referred to as isomerization. This can occur in an absolute ethanol solution with .05% HCL boiled for 2 hours (the "hash" oil is in solution in the ethanol, obviously). The increase in potency you'll get depends on the relative amounts of Cannabidiol and THC in the original oil. If there were 1 part THC and 1 part Cannabidiol, then you might expect a doubling of potency after isomerization.

The second reaction, Delta-1/9 --> Delta-6/8, is an additional step to get the allegedly more potent higher-rotating form of THC. It requires more vigorous conditions. D. Gold notes that in a toluene solution with -toluenesulfonic acid for 10 hours at 100 degrees C there is a 90% conversion rate of Delta-1 to Delta-6 (the THC/hash oil is in
solution in the toluene).

Gold also gives a discussion about producing THC acetate, which he says has *twice* the potency of regular THC.

Note:
The latest findings are from Leo Hollister in the book Hashish! by Robert Connell Clarke.

It states that delta-6THC is 75% the potency of delta-1THC. So Isomerizing at a higher ph at a mild temperature for a short time yields the best quality oil.

I'm all for making a better quality oil :)
BHO_1.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sources:
Mein google
Cannabis_Alchemy_(CA) by D. Gold,
Marijuana_Chemistry_(MC), by Starks,
Dr. Atomic's Marijuana Multiplier
Mikes and Waser, Science (172), 1158-1159, June 11, 1971 (see references in footnote 8).
Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, (v60, n10), 1433-1457, Ocotober, 1971 (see esp p1440).

I

Inuit

So, how does the isomerized oil compare ?

I have read about it before but never got around to trying it...

Be safe

I

monkeybone

monkeybone

Bonez
Supporter

I

It depends on your starting oil's potency, and CBN content, that is rotated into THC.

I need quality lab equipment before I mess with it. I did see Eden Labs has a couple nice extractors,, but they didn't respond to my questions on how the output of their professional unit
37361361.jpg
or The Apothecarian
37361362.jpg
compared to a Butane extraction or multiple Isomerisation processes.

I am interested in seeing the potency of Delta 9 verses Delta 6. But I have yet had anyone share with me the two so I can judge for myself the medical benefits.

true grit

true grit

Awesome post bro!!! I just skimmed over, but will probably have to read it several times to sink in! Thanks for taking the time to put this together bro!

So have how does decarboxylation relate to tranfer of isomers and the configuring of THC molecules? I do it regularly, and the potency is easily doubled just on plant material and I'm considereing decarboxylating all material prior to running it through bubble bags to try and attain a hella more potent finished product. Supposedly it cause a degradation or change to a more psychoactive thc (thc-a?) and the high reflects it. Some people start tripping...have done this myself with these edibles a couple times.

We are trying to find the ideal range in temps for ideal decarboxylation. Basically going to require a cubed test across a bunch of different temp ranges and durations, then get tested to determine a baseline. I know Tex is using hash oil, but i believe a consistency in material can be attained with a certain strain and dialed in processing...as in to the T dialed in. Variable would change very little and would be only dependent on how the crop finished.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I have read about it before but never got around to trying it...

Be safe

I

It did appear to increase the THC content, based on the increased head effect. It was not a profound improvement, because the bud we used didn't have all that many CBD's to isomerize into THC.

The isomerized oil is the beaker on the left. The pick marks are from taking samples.

Isomerize 1
A

Aman6000

It did appear to increase the THC content, based on the increased head effect. It was not a profound improvement, because the bud we used didn't have all that many CBD's to isomerize into THC.

The isomerized oil is the beaker on the left. The pick marks are from taking samples.
The isomerized oil looks like it has not been refined, There appears to be chlorophyll from the darkness of it. In my experience if using an isomerizer you want use sulphuric acid then filter through an activated charcoal filter and you get pure gold. Seems like a lot of work but the results are great.

S

seebobsled

I use sulfuric acid in a similar process to clean my hydro system. I pH at 2 then add h2o2 . It isomerizes the Percipitates that leaves buildup in the system from salts. Add ferrous iron (non chelated) and it will remove plasticizers as well as organic substance for new systems!

Graywolf

Graywolf

The isomerized oil looks like it has not been refined, There appears to be chlorophyll from the darkness of it. In my experience if using an isomerizer you want use sulphuric acid then filter through an activated charcoal filter and you get pure gold. Seems like a lot of work but the results are great.

Alas, looks can be deceiving, because both the before and after were both winterized and hexane/brine washed prior to isomerization. The darker colors have nothing to do with chlorophyll.

We've used activated charcoal, but usually don't because it also retains cannabinoids and we hate to give them up.

We've had better luck using a chromatography column to remove polar elements and lighten the colors. Joe, our biochemist, thinks the darker colors are caramelized plant sugars. Whether they are or not, they do come out with beads that retain the polar elements.

Actually we decided that isomerization was a waste of time and went on to THC Acetate, which is something to get excited about.

Chromotography samples 1 1
Top Bottom