Cannabis allergies

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

I've been at this for a few years and I'm increasingly noticing my immune system does not like what it's being exposed to. I know the very oils we're going for are the plant's defense system and allergies are prone to build with increased exposure, so this should not be particularly surprising. It is, however, extremely disappointing. A good harvest will release its essence into the air near ripening time and this air inevitably (despite my attempts) permeates my living space. I can tell the smellier it is the more congested I get, and the better the herb will end up being. These days I cannot prune a healthy plant or even touch it at all without itchy red bumps at the point of skin contact. Over time this kind of sustained response must surely take its toll on any immune system.

Does anyone have similar experience with this matter?

Should a carbon filter be expected to remove allergens from the air, or would a HEPA filter be necessary as well?

Any other tips for minimizing exposure and/or response?

B

bobbybrown

You have to wear a complete suit every time. That's the only way to avoid having to use calamine lotion everyday.

squiggly

squiggly

Use a respirator, wear gloves. Run negative pressure in your room and ozonate exhaust.

I NEVER recommend ozonating exhaust--but in this situation it is very likely to solve your problem, just BE CAREFUL where u exhaust it (as it can be harmful to neighbors) and running strong negative pressure is a must so that you aren't getting ANY ozone buildup in your living space.

Good luck.

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

Im deadly allergic to pot and pot plants LOL.......when I break out bags or touch buds I get really itchy eyes stuffed nose and also lots of hives......we have a love hate relationship....when Im in garden with tshirt off and I come out it looks like I have been attacked by a swarm of african bees!

one time at my buddies they were trimming a whole greenhouse most weed I have ever scene in my life...piles and piles on the floor anyways they were rocking to trim pros and alot of manual trimmers and after about 4-5 hours of trimmin in this no fresh air room I had a brutal attack that I have never experienced.....I guess all the pollen in the air and other shit ceased my lungs and throat up and it felt like I had the weight of a truck on my chest I coulden't breathe was drooling like crazy was freaking crazy.....I have a good laugh when I think about it now.....I was like that kid from Malcom in the Middle thats in the wheelchair and has the brutal asthma.........man why does mary jane hate me so much when all I got is love for her!

I know a few people who are exact same as me but most of my stoner friends have never ever experienced and allergic reactions from the herb!

I never experienced this first five years I smoked seemed to be the more I smoked the worst the condition got.....and I remember reading somewhere that if you take a break from it your body will go back to normal and shouldent have any side effects from weed (I just read this no idea if it's true) but take a break from my favourite plant in the world I dunno....I think ill just keep scratching lol!

C

cctt

Use a respirator, wear gloves. Run negative pressure in your room and ozonate exhaust.

I NEVER recommend ozonating exhaust--but in this situation it is very likely to solve your problem, just BE CAREFUL where u exhaust it (as it can be harmful to neighbors) and running strong negative pressure is a must so that you aren't getting ANY ozone buildup in your living space.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.
I've never considered the possibility that it is the exhaust I'm being exposed to. The system is under light negative pressure right now (semi-sealed room design) and I assume this is allowing buildup of allergens in my living space. Two big disadvantages of strong negative pressure for me:
  • In the quickly approaching winter months dumping heat out the window will send my gas bill through the roof.
  • My CO2 enrichment cannot hope to keep up with high levels of ventilation, and even if it could, I'd be buying a lot of CO2 to compensate. With no venting 20 lbs of CO2 lasts weeks easily. As it is - a few days. Running full exhaust ppms don't even climb.
Is there no filtration solution that will remove allergens while leaving the air safe to live in?

squiggly

squiggly

A few possibilities:

1. HEPA filter may help (there are dust shrooms you can find that fit on exhausts I think if you google "horti dust shroom" you'll find them.
2. Again, ozonating exhaust lightly may help--and it won't necessarily require you to run lower pressure in the room.
3. In an extreme situation, you can build a gas trap and bubble your exhaust through Alcohol and then water--this will remove just about everything.

treebark1950

treebark1950

I too am very allergic to pot plants. I have been at this for a while and it has progressively gotten worse. I now have to get cortisone shots every 2-3 weeks other wise I get very sick...

I have to wear gloves and long sleeves otherwise I break out bad! Red bumps that turn into little blisters!

Def a love hate relationship!

Top Bottom