cannabis and dreaming

• Thread starter jimbaloo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimbaloo

I taught myself to lucid dream a few years ago, but find that cannabis use can make it difficult to maintain dream recall...this is true except for when I take naps. Anyone have any experience/insight related to cannabis and sleep/dreaming/obe?

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

Hrpuffnstuff: thanks for that... I always like McKenna but hadn't seen these. Too bad he passed. I have his book the archaic revival... excellent stuff.

P

PureSugar

I taught myself to lucid dream a few years ago, but find that cannabis use can make it difficult to maintain dream recall...this is true except for when I take naps. Anyone have any experience/insight related to cannabis and sleep/dreaming/obe?

jimbaloo- As a long time cannabis user I completely agree that dream recall is affected in a negative manner. I used to go to a psychiatrist who would ask about my dreams and I never could recall them. He then explained that cannabis reduces eye movement during the REM stages of sleep and also to some extent shortens the period of REM sleep one gets (the bigger deal is the reduced eye movement.) The interesting thing is if you stop smoking they have found there is a "rebound" effect and your dreams because extremely vivid and memorable. This will then diminsh as your body gets used to being cannabis free.

OBE's and cannabis... I can't do it. You need stuff that you'd find at a Dead show for that. lol :very_first_smiley:

S

ShorelineTex

I didn't start using cannabis until I was 18, and I remember noticing that I had a lot less dreams (or at least remembered very few). I'm, um, a lot holder than 18 now (mid-30s), and I can very seldom recall having any dreams.

I *have* noticed that the times that I am able to recall the most dream activity is when something extremely positive happens during the day and I go to sleep dwelling on it. The dreams almost always have something to do with the event, but I remember them very vividly.

The one exception to this is when I take Vicodin (or any other opiate, for that matter). I "lucid dream" almost every time I take these, even when also smoking heavily. Normally, soon after I realize that I'm dreaming, I lose the ability to move my limbs, can't wake up, and have a good ol' bout of the sleep paralysis. Freaked me right the hell out the first couple of times it happened. I've finally gotten to the point where I occasionally even realize that the sleep paralysis will stop and I will eventually wake up, but it is still usually an unpleasant experience as the scenarios in the dream are often eerie (like a large, empty, baroque room with me floating and unable to control my body).

That's my experience, for what it's worth...I'm certainly not a purposeful or experienced lucid dreamer.

R

R. Face

Hmm, interesting generality im getting from you guys...for the most part, cananbis is AFFECTING the way your dream, as in it limits your recollection.

I have always been one to dream frequently and remember them, throughout my life. One thing i noticed with high grade cannabis, like the OG, Chems, Bubbas or and HEAVY indica, it knocks me out, then I have dreams of being intoxicated.

For example ill smoke then go to sleep and dream about being high at work, or in front of someone; and in my dream in UNABLE to function, whereas, when im high I function just fine. But regardless, i will be very messed up in my dream, and doing daily things that we all do, but having people notice my behaviour or asking 'if im alright', or ill be paranoid in my dream that by standers know....

Anyone else have this type of effect with cannabis?

friction

friction

for sure you cant remember your dreams, when i had a dry spell they all came back and i didnt enjoy the experience, so im gonna keep smoking lol, no more mares for me, :character0111:

D

Donk Frog

I have no trouble with dreaming and even falling back to sleep and starting back were the dream left off before I woke....but unless it was an awesome or memorable one it is usually forgotten by mid morning

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

like Terrance said , it blends subconscious with conscious

wierd thow i can puff all day and take a nap during day and i can remember those even thow im way puffed ...... but night time sleep i cannot remember them to well

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

ditto

for sure you cant remember your dreams, when i had a dry spell they all came back and i didnt enjoy the experience, so im gonna keep smoking lol, no more mares for me, :character0111:

My dreams have been disturbing in the past, to say the least. I took melatonin a few times to try and sleep better; wow was that a mistake (as far as the crazy, vivid, disturbing dreams). I find that cannabis prevents recall of these dreams in the morning, and generally I get a better start to my day. In the past, I often woke up depressed or angry due to some imaginary situation...

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

Hmm, interesting generality im getting from you guys...for the most part, cananbis is AFFECTING the way your dream, as in it limits your recollection.

I have always been one to dream frequently and remember them, throughout my life. One thing i noticed with high grade cannabis, like the OG, Chems, Bubbas or and HEAVY indica, it knocks me out, then I have dreams of being intoxicated.

For example ill smoke then go to sleep and dream about being high at work, or in front of someone; and in my dream in UNABLE to function, whereas, when im high I function just fine. But regardless, i will be very messed up in my dream, and doing daily things that we all do, but having people notice my behaviour or asking 'if im alright', or ill be paranoid in my dream that by standers know....

Anyone else have this type of effect with cannabis?

i think that may be just subconscious guilt coming out!

were bound by society's rules ,
Like Bob Marley says who's to say its bad.....

S

SkyHi

Any drug will have negative effects on the REM part of sleep which is the deepest part of sleep in which dreams are had , the narcotic effects keep you from getting into this stage of sleep. Havent you noticed after along night of smoking you wake up kinda hung over ? thats because your body wasnt aloud to enter REM cycle of sleep which is where most of the rest and regeneration happens....Same if you eat a big meal tho your body spends energy digestion the meal and you feel less rested.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Exelent Thread!! If i stop smoke for a week my dream are crazy!! pretty intense hehe..

C

chuckyoufarley

im glad i found this thread i havent had a dream in yrs and i think its because i dont sleep long enough to get to dream state .i wake up about evey 2-2 1/2 hrs a night for about 10min -1/2 hr every night for yrs

J

jimbaloo

jimbaloo- As a long time cannabis user I completely agree that dream recall is affected in a negative manner. I used to go to a psychiatrist who would ask about my dreams and I never could recall them. He then explained that cannabis reduces eye movement during the REM stages of sleep and also to some extent shortens the period of REM sleep one gets (the bigger deal is the reduced eye movement.) The interesting thing is if you stop smoking they have found there is a "rebound" effect and your dreams because extremely vivid and memorable. This will then diminsh as your body gets used to being cannabis free.

OBE's and cannabis... I can't do it. You need stuff that you'd find at a Dead show for that. lol :very_first_smiley:

The one exception to this is when I take Vicodin (or any other opiate, for that matter). I "lucid dream" almost every time I take these, even when also smoking heavily. Normally, soon after I realize that I'm dreaming, I lose the ability to move my limbs, can't wake up, and have a good ol' bout of the sleep paralysis. Freaked me right the hell out the first couple of times it happened. I've finally gotten to the point where I occasionally even realize that the sleep paralysis will stop and I will eventually wake up, but it is still usually an unpleasant experience as the scenarios in the dream are often eerie (like a large, empty, baroque room with me floating and unable to control my body).

Opiates make it really easy to slide directly from waking to dreaming without losing consciousness, which is why sleep paralysis is more likely to be experienced. Incidentally, most lucid dreamers would kill to be able to experience sleep paralysis with high frequency because it's one of the best ways to transition into a lucid dream (which is probably what happened to you each time). The trick is being more aware of your dream body than your physical body.

B

bannana man

i find that cannabis can repress dreams if i smoke right before i go to sleep ,when i dont smoke before bed i do remember them a lot more ,,i find after taking dmt my dreams are not as repressed even by the herb,,has anyone here taken dmt ???

J

jimbaloo

i find that cannabis can repress dreams if i smoke right before i go to sleep ,when i dont smoke before bed i do remember them a lot more ,,i find after taking dmt my dreams are not as repressed even by the herb,,has anyone here taken dmt ???

I've found this to be true also...I haven't determined how long I have to abstain before bed to increase dream recall yet though. I've tried DMT a handful of times...feels kind of like being ripped out of reality and into a dream..

Top Bottom