Cannabis becomes Class B drug today (UK)

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

(additional related stories and commentary underneath...scroll down)

Cannabis becomes Class B drug today

Cannabis is upgraded to a Class B drug today, but users will not be fined after the sudden withdrawal of new powers to allow on-the-spot penalties.

The embarrassing hitch has arisen after the Ministry of Justice withdrew a parliamentary order that would have given police the power to issue penalty notices for 21 offences, including possession of cannabis.

It had been expected that, from today, police would be able to impose an £80 fine for possession as a key part of tougher action against the drug. The new approach means that officers would issue a warning for a first-time offender, a second offence of possession should result in the £80 on-the-spot fine, and a third would lead to arrest.

Until a new order is passed by Parliament, police will not be able to impose the fine. The Home Office said yesterday that the order would be debated on Wednesday and, if approved, guidance would be sent to police forces in England and Wales.

“The Home Secretary has made clear that PNDs [penalty notices for disorder] are necessary for possession of cannabis, to allow police to operate an escalated enforcement regime,” a spokesman said. “The police are currently able to deal with the offence of cannabis possession by warning or by prosecution.”

Home Office officials have made clear their dismay at the Ministry of Justice's failure to have the power ready in time for the upgrading.

The Ministry of Justice said that the order was dropped when ministers decided to consult on a range of new offences to be punishable with penalty notices. A spokesman said: “Penalty notices for disorder for possession of cannabis will go ahead as soon as possible, subject to the agreement of Parliament.”

The ministry withdrew the parliamentary order last week after a decision to drop the introduction of £80 on-the-spot fines for bogus minicab drivers and to rethink whether instant penalties should be considered for 19 other offences.

As the planned cannabis fine was included in the order, it was also withdrawn. The Government has known since last November that cannabis was to become a Class B drug and the implementation date has been known for weeks.

A £2.2million advertising campaign next month using television, radio and the internet will inform the public of the upgrading and will warn that “cannabis can mess with your mind”.

Cannabis was downgraded to a Class C drug in 2005, but Gordon Brown signalled shortly after he became Prime Minister that he wanted the decision reversed.

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, the Government's official adviser, recommended that the drug should remain Class C. Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, rejected the advice, justifying her decision on the ground of the greater availability of more potent strains of cannabis.

Source:

Cannabis upgraded to Class B due to health fears

Cannabis users face a major crackdown after the drug was upgraded to Class B today.

More arrests and bigger fines are to be dished out by police over the next few weeks to mark the re-classification from low-risk Category C.

A Government-backed ad campaign will also highlight the dangers of using high-strength skunk.

The blitz comes as ministers and senior police officers grow increasingly worried about dope use.

They are particularly concerned about skunk, which makes up 80 per cent of cannabis available on the streets and is linked to severe mental illness.

Adding to their fears, research has shown the average age youngsters first try smoking a spliff is 13.

Home Office Minister Alan Campbell warned: “Cannabis poses a real risk to the health of those who use it.

“I’m extremely concerned about the use of stronger variety, skunk, and the harm it can cause to mental health.

“We are reclassifying it to protect the public and future generations.” Gordon Brown ordered the reversal of Tony Blair’s 2004 downgrading of cannabis when he became Prime Minister two years ago.

Under the new rules, people caught in possession face a warning for a first offence or arrest if they are near a school or have a large amount of the drug.

A second offence is an £80 fine and a third will mean the user is arrested.

Top drugs cop Tim Hollis, chief constable of Humberside Police, warned there was a clear message for young people.

He said: “This is a dangerous drug and there is an increased prospect of police taking firm action with regards to offences of possession.

“Where cannabis use is repeated, or where there are aggravating circumstances, officers will take a harder line on enforcement and an arrest is more likely.”

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...-class-b-due-to-health-fears-115875-21071212/

Cannabis law change 'illogical'

The reclassification of cannabis as a Class B drug has come into effect in England amid complaints by magistrates the new laws are "illogical".

The government said it went against its advisors to upgrade the drug because of worries of its affect on mental health. Magistrates welcomed the reclassification but said planned fines for possessing small amounts undermined the more serious classification. They said it sent the signal cannabis is not as bad as other Class B drugs.

Plans to introduce a "three strikes" system for cannabis possession start with a warning, then an £80 spot fine for a second offence.

Only when a third offence is committed, will the person be liable to arrest and prosecution.

Penalties for drug offences

The spot fine proposal is due for further consultation after magistrates expressed concerns about taking offences away from the courts system. The Magistrates' Association argued that some of the offences were too serious to be dealt with out of court and that penalty payment rates were low. The fines are to be debated in the Lords on Monday and are expected to come into force on Wednesday. Currently, police can only warn or prosecute people caught in possession of cannabis.
The maximum prison term for possessing cannabis rises from two to five years with its reclassification.

Home Office minister Alan Campbell said: "Cannabis is a harmful drug and while fewer people are taking it than before, it poses a real risk to the health of those who do use it."

'SKUNK' CANNABIS
So-called because it has a very strong smell
Three times stronger than other types of cannabis
Contains much higher levels of the active ingredient - tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Now accounts for between 70% and 80% of samples seized by police
Six years ago it accounted for 15% of samples
He added: "We are reclassifying cannabis to protect the public and future generations."
But John Fassenfelt, deputy chair of the Magistrates' Association, said the fine system would send out mixed messages. "What is that telling the youngster on the street?" he said. "Is it telling them well, you can have cannabis, it's not so serious as other Class B drugs.
"It's a dual justice system. If you smoke or take another Class B drug you'll be brought to court, if you take cannabis you'll be given a fine. Where's the justice in that?"

A £2.2m TV, radio and internet campaign will launch next month to warn young people about the dangers of using the drug.

'Three times stronger'

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith decided to reclassify cannabis despite an Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs' review - commissioned by Gordon Brown - saying it should remain Class C.

Ms Smith said stronger "skunk" varieties account for 80% of the cannabis seized on the streets, and that the drug is nearly three times stronger than in 1995. This farce would have been avoided had ministers heeded the advice of the experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs Chris Huhne, Liberal Democrats
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said: "The move to Class B has got nothing to do with public health and education and everything to do with posturing on penalties.

"This farce would have been avoided had ministers heeded the advice of the experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs."

The advisory council's report, Cannabis: Classification and Public Health, described the drug as a "significant public health issue".

But it said it should still remain a Class C drug, saying the risks were not as serious as those of Class B substances such as amphetamines and barbiturates.

Class C includes substances such as tranquilisers, some painkillers, GHB (so-called "liquid ecstasy") and ketamine. Possession of Class C drugs is treated largely as a non-arrestable offence.

The Conservatives have said the government's reversal of its earlier decision showed the downgrading of cannabis had been a mistake.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7850342.stm

Cannabis becomes class b drug today uk
A

Arti.chokes

:fixed: And in a stroke clever Mr Brown sorted the cannabis problem once and for all. "Yes Yes" clever Gordon muttered, " I 'could' have just taxed the crap out of it like we do those cancer sticks and yes we would raise so much cash our health care could be the envy of the world but cannabis isn't like the stuff we smoked at uni', this new stuff is really dangerous Teddy, Teddy are you listening?", but even Gordon's childhood teddy wasn't listening, nobody is listening Gordon, get over yourself!

F

FastForward

You're so right...the taxation from MJ could provide BILLIONS of pounds to get us out of this credit crunch shite...but unfortunately that's not going to happen....

In the very least it should stay as a class c, and include minor fixed penalties for possession of small amounts.

Here's what I don't get - if it was so dangerous, why don't the Dutch have a significant mental health problem? They should have a higher than average incidence of schizos, which they don't.

And then let's start talking about alcohol, alcoholism, alcohol related crime etc....

Drives me nuts :(

A

Arti.chokes

Im with you FF, It is the one subject sure to bring me down, :brokenheart ho hum Arti

M

mr. haze420

sad news for uk smokers. another backward move by the gov. whatever happened to enlightened thinking and progress. booze is the big prob not the herb. hard liquor-soft drugs, you make the choice, not the government

Blazed_Out

Blazed_Out

I hate how they imprint 'Three times stronger' into the 'norms' minds instead of saying that it is being grown better.
Because they don't want to legalize or tolerate the use of cannabis, they use a very sly fine system to obtain money. The government knows that a lot of money is going into the hands of drug dealers instead of going back into the economy.
So why not tax the damn thing and then our country will be out of this credit slump?
Makes me sad. I guess I'll have to go to the bookies later, next to the Home Office and smoke a good spliff like I always do.

S

Stackin Paper

Catch me if ya can mo'fuckers,

more people need to choose prison than whatever else the government are going to give them i.e community service or curfew orders, when they realise how much its costing them (£500 per day per inmate) rather than how much they could be making(untold amount of £80's) then they will never realise.

The government don't care about our youth's minds being frazzled, they care about MONEY be all and end all so lets cost them loads of it, like i said though, catch me if ya can mo'fuckers.

7rayos

In legal thought, Why, if the substance is the problem, the victim has to pay? It's like because firearms are banned, all people shot by them should be incarcerated.
So, class B, against all documented opinion, that's Señor Marron's idea of an austere economic policy. Just don't buy bud, get pissed instead as it's cheaper.
Will it affect the street price of bud'n'soap?

D

Donk Frog

clowns , government ass clowns in every country of the world

S

Slick

This is just another example of how messed up and out of touch with the majority of voters the British Govt. is. The idea of a free country is a thing of the past and we all know the government simply don't listen to what the populace wants nor do they want to evaluate all the evidence before them, if they did this should never have made it past the commitee stage; they make decisions based on personal agendas and propoganda and nothing more.

It really does amaze me how binge drinking is the norm in this country so much so that 12 and 13 year olds have no problem getting hard liquor or worse Buckfast (tonic wine) and then run around our streets kicking 7 shades of shit out of people for no reason which then get off scot free yet a person who enjoys a quiet smoke is criminalised and has the possibility of hard time.

If ignorance is bliss why are politicians so fucking miserable?

O

ojd

what another stupid move by the uk

fuck off gordon brown

go sort out all the crack smack problems

like people say alcohol really messes up our country and cost us lots of money
cigarets also kill many and also cost us ££££ on nhs as alcohol
with cannabis we are puting £££ back into the system

im geting real sick of the uk with the stupid laws

C

coldnorth

we should make our own study, 10 people who dosent normaly smoke does it all day for 30 days and has to cope with work, family friends, choirs etc and the same with someone drinking! do medical exames and all. wonder how they would match up!

L

l33t

these are bad news

People need to protest and most importantly educate the rest of the citizens on Cannabis , the more people know the truth the better

and plant a seed wherever it can grow , indoors and outdoors , Overgrow the fuckin place!

F

FastForward

So here's the plan, stan....

Gather up all the seed you can find, preferably bagseed or crap disposable genetics. Cut holes in the pockets of your jeans. Goto Parliament Square in April and take a nice stroll on the green opposite the Houses of Parliament. Drop as many seeds out of the holes in your pocket as you can into the grass.

Fingers crossed a couple of months later and Parliament Square becomes a weed field \o/

So, who's in? :)

B

British_Hempire

I'll supply a coupla thousand assorted seeds for parliament square! lol

I'm sick of this bullshit, alcohol is the big problem in the UK, us poor peaceful weed smokers should be left alone.

S

Swampdank

Damn, that does suck. I feel for my blue blooded brethren. I have lots of family over there (moreso than here) and it sucks they have deal with it. Hey look on the bright side, where I live, you can goto jail for 30 days for a joint. Most end up on probation and paying money out the ass every month (50-150 dollars) to the state. Growing?? Try getiing slapped with a trafficking charge and facing 25 years. Talk about oppressed.

I hope we can raise some more open minded and intelligent politicians. Now only the rich get a chance at it, and being spoiled with a silver spoon doesnt make it easy to relate to the majority. The average Joe just wants to earn an honest living and catch a nice buzz when he gets off. What the hell business is it of the govt?

Like Maynard said: "Moms gonna fix it all soon, mom's gonna put it back the way it outta be"

I dont see us being around much longer anyway. We have raped the planted of it's resources and shit on her dinner plate. We are about to get evicted. Like roaches in a daycare, the exterminator is coming.

F

FastForward

I just found this:

"In 2007/08 there were 275 people who needed help at hospitals or clinics which linked to cannabis use, compared to 360 the year before - a decline of 24pc."

(source: )

Even if it's 500 people a year for the whole of the UK, that is nothing compared to the thousands arrested each week for alcohol related stuff. But do they reclassify alcohol? Grrrrrrr.

S

Simple Simon

Looking at the way things go like Med.Cannabis in the States, Cannabis Classification in GB, and yes even coffee houses in the NL, its all ways going to be a fight :fighting0040:that only :time will tell ! 3 steps forward then 2 steps back, kinda looks like a pattern. Hope you Brits come out on top on this issue when the smoke settles. Good Luck !!! :hi:

S

Sativaindica

In July 2007 you asked the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs to review the classification of Cannabis in the light of real public concern about the
potential mental health effects of cannabis use and, in particular, the use of stronger strains of the drug. I have pleasure in enclosing the Council’s report. You will note that, after a most careful scrutiny of the totality of the available evidence, the majority of the Council’s members consider – based on its harmfulness to individuals and society – that cannabis should remain a Class C substance. It is judged that the harmfulness of cannabis more closely equates with other Class C substances than with those currently classified as Class B.

Criminal justice measures – irrespective of classification – will have only a limited effect on usage. We therefore urge you to invite the UK’s Chief Medical Officers to develop, on behalf of the government, a public health strategy that will meet our shared goals. Anything less will prejudice the health of future generations.

Professor Sir Michael Rawlins FMedSci
Chairman

Againts the advice of The Home Office, no less. What a fucking scumbag sack of shit...fucking wanker.

Honestly, ;( my heart goes out to my brothers and sisters back home. I truely hope one day it will happen, if not? Then as soon as i can establish my self a bit more i will come back and fight for that shit

:fighting0040:

This does really go beyond belief, considering, just today I read about one guy who got stabbed to death, witnessed by his 3 year old daughter, as he was going to the hospital where his wife just gave birth to his 2nd child.

and THIS is what they consider a public health risk?

weed?

;(

Latest posts

Top Bottom