Cannabis Chemistry Is Going Legit

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

I just thought I'd share a few developments over the last year or so that I've noticed as a chemistry insider that I thought might lend some credence to the idea that the dominoes are, in fact, finally falling over:

1. Cannabis industry is the fastest growing industry in the US right now based on a number of factors including but not limited to: capital investment, revenue, customer acquisition, and number of new businesses per day.

2. Number of cannabis labs has doubled nearly every month since legalization passed in Colorado.

3. There are calls for Cannabis Chemistry divisions in both the ACS (where it appears there will be success) and the Royal Society of Chemistry (where there is more pushback, but significant support still).

4. The ACS has run several webinars in the last few months about cannabis chemistry, in fact there is another one this Thursday that I will be attending (dealing with analytical concerns in cannabis testing, as well as safety concerns in extraction).

5. The cannabis industry is responsible for 40% of job growth in chemical industry over the last year--especially important considering that chemistry is experiencing all-time low job growth numbers in the US right now.

What all this, together, means is that in very short order you are about to have a plethora of highly educated, scientifically literate, financially motivated chemists coming down on your side of this issue. In effect, there is nothing to suggest that the ACS and its constituents aren't about to become one of the biggest pro-legalization lobbies literally overnight.

I am trying SO HARD to find a job to break into this industry because it's hard to look ANYWHERE as a chemist in the cannabis industry and not see dollar signs. An added bonus is that I actually really believe in the stuff.

Right now I've got job offers on the table in pharmaceutical and oil and gas industries for 60K and 55K, respectively.

I'd take a 10-20K pay cut on either of those numbers JUST to gain the experience in cannabis industry, and I don't make financial decisions lightly if that gives you any idea of where I'm coming from.

The earning potential for a scientist in pharma, fossil fuels, or agrobusiness (Monsanto) is fucking enormous. I'd bet the farm that cannabis will outpace them all by a factor of 2 in less than 20 years. Here's to hoping I can involve myself with this shit before I have to sign myself over to this fracking company (the only industry growing anywhere near as quickly as cannabis right now).

3G Labs

3G Labs

Bring on the science!
Most people are starting at the bottom, foot in the door, getting hired on as a trimmer or grow tech and then moving up. Company's hire almost on the spot (lot's of turnover) if you've already accquired your support badge.
Gas and oil is big in colorado right now too.

Top Bottom