Cannabis growers... are totally lame.

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

4214evr

Cap id like to view this but vid doesnt work what is the name cuz ill just go to there n type it in Plz n ty

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Cap id like to view this but vid doesnt work what is the name cuz ill just go to there n type it in Plz n ty

type in "nature fresh farms commercial"

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Sun grown hydro! :woot:
I love the tracks with the chairs and scissor lifts! :woot:

But They never say its organic?

They are using raw salts so I don' tthink it is "organic", but it is extremely efficient and environmentally conscious.

They mention using beneficials to fight disease and pests and also they have there own honey bee hives for pollination. Plus the water is recirculating and will save a ton of water and nutes this way. Gotta love hydro food production. it is 100% the way of the future.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Damn they've got their shit together I like what I see. Nice post Cap.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wonder what those tomatoes taste like compared to organic dirt grown...:asshat:
Well... and believe you me, I really hate to say this but I cannot tell a lie--they probably taste like shit.

We've got a local place upcountry from us, organic hydroponic tomatoes. They are AWFUL. We've tried 'em three different times, I know they sell to Whole Paycheck down in Folsom, but the tomatoes taste like shit.

Dingleberries probably taste better, but I've never had one. :p

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Whoa! Heavy stuff. A few tweaks and this could be an all organic system and I totally see this being a future commercial cannabis production site. I loved the rail system for plant maintenance and really answers a lot of questions I had in my mind about human necessity within big production sites. Really good watch, thanks

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

media_bbf0a3712b1948a6a84fe9bde3425177_t607.jpg

and then there's these guys...

pretty sure this is aquaponic too

Coir

Coir

I have yet to find one of the beefsteak greenhouse hybrid tomatoes that has flavor. People always assume it's the way they are grown that causes them to have no taste but honestly, it's the variety not the way they are produced. I have tried just about every greenhouse variety out there and while they far outperform in yield, shelf life, and disease resistance, they lack the most important thing which is flavor. The large scale commercial growers receive so little for their product they are forced into producing as many kgs/sq meter as possible to stay in business. This can only be done by growing varieties that are capable of producing 20-25kgs a plant.
Realizing I could never compete with these guys on price, I decided that focusing on flavor and demanding a much higher selling price would be a better option. While the varieties I grow produce less than half the weight, I am able to get 4-5x the price for them. Certainly not everyone is willing to spend that much on a tomato but there are more than enough people that care more about taste and quality over price to keep me in business.
I have faced(and battled) the stigma of "greenhouse tomatoes don't taste good" for over 25 years and still have people that refuse to even try one because they "know for sure" they won't taste good. I have had people refuse to even take one for free to try!
All of the varieties I currently grow have sugar levels equal or higher too the same variety grown outside so it's not the fact they are grown inside or even hydroponically. My biggest obstacle is yield and shelf life as the heirloom tomatoes tend to be so soft that they bruise from their own weight once in the packing tray. I am always trialing different varieties looking for the perfect balance of flavor/yield/shelf life and it's a real challenge. It's also one of the reasons I grafted so many plants this year. If I can boost production on some of my best tasting but lowest yielding varieties, they will be commercially viable to grow large scale.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, we tried a few different varieties the organic hydro outfit upcountry offers, they all either lacked flavor or tasted awful. Considering what you've written, I find myself wondering, why? Why hydroponic, and/or why tomatoes?

Coir

Coir

Well, we tried a few different varieties the organic hydro outfit upcountry offers, they all either lacked flavor or tasted awful. Considering what you've written, I find myself wondering, why? Why hydroponic, and/or why tomatoes?
Wondering why their tomatoes tasted bad or if it was the way they are grown or why would anyone want to grow tomatoes?

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
That's one of my biggest gripes about super market tomato's, they all taste like shit or the texture sux. :wtf:

waayne

waayne

These tomatoes are available at my local Whole Foods,and I've purchased them a few times
they are consistently beautiful to look at ,and totally tasteless......

They don't taste funky,they really don't taste like anything,the ones I've purchased
had little to no flavor at all.............

coir is right on point,the main problem why commercial tomatoes taste so bland ,and the texture is funky,is they were purely bred for things like uniform ripening/harvesting,disease tolerance,pest tolerance
vigor, yield, ect,ect .....not flavor ,or texture.......

Coir

Coir

It's not just tomatoes that have had the taste bred out of them. Sugar content is the #1 reason why produce breaks down quickly. High sugar content reduces shelf life exponentially. To get a beautiful looking product from the farm to the market requires a lot of time and to accomplish this, the product needs to be able to stand up to lots of handling, travel, and sitting in a cold room before getting put out on the shelf.
Just as people don't want to buy flavorless produce, they also don't want to by rotten produce! All the more reason to get to know your local farmer and support them through buying direct.
Some of the most beautiful tomatoes I have ever grown I would not eat. If I don't want to eat them, I am certainly not going to be wasting valuable space to grow them. The whole TOV or tomatoes on the vine product line is the #1 selling tomato product in the world but I have yet to find one that tastes good enough to produce. The only greenhouse hybrids I have ever grown that are worth a damn are the "cocktail" types which you have probably seen in the stores as "Campari". While I am not fond of that particular one, I have a couple of others that consistently put out fruit that measures at least 8 brix which I consider the threshold of sugar content for a good tasting tomato. The Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes I grow will be as high as 14 brix when the weather is good and they are getting lots of sun. I have yet to find any tomato that even comes close in taste to these.

Top Bottom