Canned Butane "Mystery Oil"

• Thread starter DesiretheFire
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Well it turns out ALL canned butane contains a small amount of "Mystery oil" that is used on the inside of the can as a lubrication for the metal. This stuff is a petroleum distillate.

The only way to bypass this MO is to use a closed loop system. Most people just use canned butane for these systems also, but after you add these cans to your tank and do a "dry" run, the MO is left in your collection vessel and you are able to clean the stuff out.

Let me repeat...this mystery oil is in ALL canned butane! UK USA KOREA CHINA! From the most expensive butane down to the cheapest!

Here is the Facebook page to the guy who discovered this "Mystery Oil" he has tested all of the most popular brands.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystery-Oil/191952837642348

D

D4B Wizard

How bad can it really be?
Considering we smoke chase amounts of butane when we use lighters sometimes doing extractions.

is it bad enough to harm health?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Until tuesday it is only guesstimation :)

I agree with Jump, lots of room for conjecture and facts are never as exciting as filling in the blanks with "stimulating" answers.

We all agree there is something inside the can, but the butane, longer chain oleaginous waxes, and sulfur that we already know are present in butane can account for most of the reported results, and they aren't toxic at the levels encountered.

A lubricant has been theorized and tossed into the hat by a manufacture stating proudly that they don't use one, but that doesn't mean that the rest of them do either. What would it be for? Butane and the longer chain simple alkanes present are both lubricants, so the need for one more to keep the valve from sticking leaves me tongue in cheek.

As the list of what it could be is longer than the list of things that it probably is, the discussion always leads afield, and even when the answers are known, not everyone will be accepting them.

Not sure what Tuesday will present, but today I will run a case of Lucienne into a new cold trap this afternoon, and recover what ever is left after I vacuum off the butane.

I'll run a sample through our GC out of curiosity, but will also take it to an outside HPLC lab with a mass spectrometer, to get a precise look.

Scazoom

Scazoom

Apparently on the facebook page stok doesnt leave anything. anyone else try?

jump

jump

I bitterly regret to inform you that winterization does not protect against this evil grease.
250ml tin of "London" left behind a small drop, which when heated exuded fragrance of burning rubber.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Apparently on the facebook page stok doesnt leave anything. anyone else try?

I would most certainly like to see that demonstrated before accepting it.

Not sure which Facebook page, but does the person on Facebook have any ties to Stok interests?

Scazoom

Scazoom

I would most certainly like to see that demonstrated before accepting it.

Not sure which Facebook page, but does the person on Facebook have any ties to Stok interests?
i would also. He stats it in the mystery oil page under the jet fuel video pretty much at the end of the comments, still no one has replied to him asking if anyone else has tried it. He seems to just be a glass blower, might get some kind of discount but doesnt seem to do any promoting for stok.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

The guy is a normal dude just trying to figure out exactly what this mystery oil is. He seems like he has a lot of extra time and money lol.

The N tane test was done by a guy from an expensive extract company...link below..

"https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=390768211046442"

You will have to turn the sound all the way up, his is covering the mic with his finger.

Graywolf

Graywolf

OK, I picked up the test results and am still going through it a line at a time, pulling up the MSDS sheets, starting with the items of concern.

The first thing to keep in perspective, is that the total oil was 12 ppm from 21.3 liters, so the PPM in the study should be divided by 1,000,000 and multiplied by .000,012, to get the concentration.

That concentration number X 1,000,000 will give you parts per millionth.

In summary, there were simple Alkanes present as long as C-16, which are not of concern at the levels present.

In addition there are aromatic Alkenes present, that are of serious concern, but not at levels remotely close to exposure limits.

The concern with those Alkenes is really not reaching toxic limits, but the fact that some are known carcinogens, mutagens, teratogens, etc.

IE: Cyclohexane, isocyanato, which most likely came from the gaskets and seals used in the cans and process, because it isn't found naturally in butane.

Nasty bad shit, with an no exposure limits established and an intravenous LD-50 mouse of 13 ppm and present at the level of .000000001728 concentration, or .001728 parts per millionth. That is about 7500 times lower than the LD-50.

Another bad nasty present was Benzenamine, 3,5, at the levels of .035778 parts per millionth, with a Permissible Exposure Limit of 2 ppm TWA for 8 hours. That is only 56 times lower than PEL, so of more concern.

Benzene 1,1 showed up at a concentration of .000000003678, or .000003678 PPM, with a Permissible Exposure Limit of 110 ppm TWA 8 hours.

I could go on, but it will take me awhile to pull MSDS sheets for the whole list, so I've attached the raw data. Sorry the quality isn't better, but the original is barely readable and this was copied at 1200 bit resolution

Even if nothing is present at levels of serious health concern, I would prefer to not have any of that stuff in there, so in addition to fractional distillation using vacuum, we will be experimenting with Bentonite filters.

Mystery oil analysis 2 1
Mystery Oil analysis 1 1
DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Crazy! im glad my buddy A6 has a closed loop & im stocked up on mystery free oil!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Here is another summary of Parts Per Billionth constitutes and the good news is that it looks like I was off on the Benzenamine, 3,5 calculations by a factor of 1000 times, because it was in PPB and I calculated PPM. More after I complete summarizing all the contents and their CAS#'s, so that I can pull the rest of the MSDS sheets.

Mystery oil analysis 2 1
frebo

frebo

How bad can it really be?
Considering we smoke chase amounts of butane when we use lighters sometimes doing extractions.

is it bad enough to harm health?
I may be full of shit, but I was told that our(USA) Bic type lighters have like 30% propane in them. I have bought several refillable lighters and am using the UK's Newport Extra Purified Butane Gas(about $100 or less a case). The can says "zero impurities". The flame is blue, not yellow and the weed tastes better. It made much better wax than other butane I have tried. I am REALLY not a fan of BTO. The next day I feel hung over til mid afternoon.

Graywolf

Graywolf

OK, I dropped off a new sample of Lucienne in the can at Specialty Analytical, as well as two cans each of Skyhighler's Iwatani and Gasone brands for ppm testing. I expect the results by Friday, which will be third party and should cut through any concerns about my accuracy.

Cost per run was $75/ea, so I limited it to these three brands, with double tests on the Lucienne. We will test other brands of interest at a later date, after we see what we get with these tests.

I discharged a can of Gasone and Iwatani into a bain marie for a sniff test, and they both definitely have mercaptans added, so even if they are ultra low residual, our sensory threshold for ethyl mercaptan is 2.8 parts per billionth., and the final oil would taste and smell of it.

Damn nice flame though! I also ordered a Iwatani creme brulee torch head on sale, and it works better than my propane plumbers torch.

Hee, hee, hee thanks Skyhighler for setting me up with a slick new dabbing torch and more than a years supply of butane for it!

Although I wasn't able to get the same lot of Lucienne that I tested before, because I picked up the last 6 pack at the distributor, I was able to get two different lots of Lucienne from a store shelf, so we can test for control. If they are all significantly different, it will support an out of control process theory.

I also talked to Marty about how we could further refine the tests on the items of interest, specifically just the compounds that that are considered evil spirits, despite their low levels. He is reviewing the list and costs for individual standards and we will discuss further later this week.

More to be revealed...................... .

Top Bottom