Cannot believe this...1st timer with hermes

• Thread starter CannabinoidCarson33
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Hello everyone. Im growing 6 plants in a 4x4 and this morning after looking closely, I learned that 5 of the 6 plants in my tent are growing a few seeds. Its not everywhere, just like 6 per plant and Im confused. Could i have a light leak?

What should i do now? I still have a slurricane with no seeds in the tent but all others have a few and I have no idea what to do. Im on day 32 of flower and need advice please. Thx

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Are you from seed or clone? If you're from seed where did they come from and are they feminized? Are your plants showing any signs of stress?
5 of the 6 were bag seed from an ounce of shake I bought and 1 is a clone from dispensary.
Finding the seeds was what got me into growing but now you have me thinking they came from a plant that was a herme. Is that logical or how it works?
My tent is light proof. I get in it occasionally during the day and turn the lights off for a few mins to check for light leaks but I have accidentally turned the light on at night for 5 seconds 2 times but idk if that's enough to make them herme. They aren't showing signs of stress from what I see, but again its my first grow. Check em out, lmk what u think. Thx!

Here are a few with the seeds forming.
20210425 075952
20210425 075930

20210425 075912

Okay, now here are some of the plants. Any stress signs you see?
20210425 075912
20210425 075905 HDR
20210425 075857 HDR

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hello everyone. Im growing 6 plants in a 4x4 and this morning after looking closely, I learned that 5 of the 6 plants in my tent are growing a few seeds. Its not everywhere, just like 6 per plant and Im confused. Could i have a light leak?

What should i do now? I still have a slurricane with no seeds in the tent but all others have a few and I have no idea what to do. Im on day 32 of flower and need advice please. Thx
Hey C , if it was me , I'd just continue growing them out
You should look for the actual culprit , look for " male" organs on the plants ...it might be likely that only one went hermaphrodite and pollinated the others , but who knows .... Seems extremely weird that 5 of your plants seeded or went " hermi" independently

dire wolf

dire wolf

They
5 of the 6 were bag seed from an ounce of shake I bought and 1 is a clone from dispensary.
Finding the seeds was what got me into growing but now you have me thinking they came from a plant that was a herme. Is that logical or how it works?
My tent is light proof. I get in it occasionally during the day and turn the lights off for a few mins to check for light leaks but I have accidentally turned the light on at night for 5 seconds 2 times but idk if that's enough to make them herme. They aren't showing signs of stress from what I see, but again its my first grow. Check em out, lmk what u think. Thx!

Here are a few with the seeds forming.
View attachment 1117093View attachment 1117094

View attachment 1117095

Okay, now here are some of the plants. Any stress signs you see?
View attachment 1117095View attachment 1117096View attachment 1117097
don't look stressed at all , except for a tiny bit of leaf tip burn , but I wouldn't consider that " stress"

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Plants look pretty healthy. It's probably a genetic issue. When I first started I had a friend tell me that if a plant naturally hermies without stress, and its bred with a female it will create feminized seeds that will be prone to hermie. From what I understand it's easier to just go find new genetics than try to breed out the undesirable trait. If it was a natural hermie parent it could lead to problems, but if it was done with CS then the resulting offspring shouldnt be prone to hermie. What I would do is just finish them out. Cut out any pollen sacs that you can find. When the run is over hopefully the clone you had is the one that didnt hermie and hopefully you have a clone from it in veg. After the run I would stick with the one that didnt hermie and I would toss your bag seeds

R

redshift75

Do you smoke weed around your plants and just touch other herbs to pack a bowl or roll a joint as such. I've seen people pollinate their cannabis by handling finished cannabis and then working with their plants. Its definitely possible its seeded out. but im with Scrogger in id try to identify where the pollen came from to ensure if it's genetics, environment, or something that was induced. Maybe you had pollen on you and the dust pollinated in there. That is why i run no less than Merv 11 filters to scrub the air from pollen, mold etc. Merv 11 some are only 90-95% effective but beats 0% effective for me. :)

Not saying it was that just giving another alternative idea to how it can happen that is often overlooked by new growers. It's different if it is your bud vs bag bud or someone else bud. You don't know the environment it was in to say it's not contaminated. I smoke my bud in my grow tents. I also deal with pollen which makes it extremely difficult cause i have to wait for the room to be scrubbed 3-4x before i can open another tent safely. this year I'm going to DuPont/tyvek suits to make it easier to wipe down the suits as i go between tents. For $15 seems worth it to not have fabric that can cling to pollen.

edit; Said @Scrogger2190 and meant @dire wolf :)

Lordovdabuds

Lordovdabuds

I had this with Cassy jones ashas hermie trait and when stressed or taken to long would do this.
So what to do?
1. Cut down if enough bud produced and salvage some then (bleach clean all to clear any pollen)
2. Keep going get alot of seeded bud and possible more pollen in grow arean (then bleach and clean grow room)
I'd go for option 1 and only use dispensary clone as surely you can go back to them and complain if happens again.
Happy growing

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Thanks for the information and tips on what to do. I've been crouched in my 4x4 tent for almost an hour looking for the culprit but cant find any "nanners" but found a few more seeds.
Im guessing it also opened and is now much harder to find.
I am going to finish them out, the buds that are already formed will be great to smoke once developed fully and I know seeds ruin a big harvest, but will I still come out with good enjoyable smoke besides the seeds being there?

Also, should i be removing them or is that wasteful? Do nanners form rarely or is it like now that I've found 1, more are likely to grow?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Do you smoke weed around your plants and just touch other herbs to pack a bowl or roll a joint as such. I've seen people pollinate their cannabis by handling finished cannabis and then working with their plants. Its definitely possible its seeded out. but im with Scrogger in id try to identify where the pollen came from to ensure if it's genetics, environment, or something that was induced. Maybe you had pollen on you and the dust pollinated in there. That is why i run no less than Merv 11 filters to scrub the air from pollen, mold etc. Merv 11 some are only 90-95% effective but beats 0% effective for me. :)

Not saying it was that just giving another alternative idea to how it can happen that is often overlooked by new growers. It's different if it is your bud vs bag bud or someone else bud. You don't know the environment it was in to say it's not contaminated. I smoke my bud in my grow tents. I also deal with pollen which makes it extremely difficult cause i have to wait for the room to be scrubbed 3-4x before i can open another tent safely. this year I'm going to DuPont/tyvek suits to make it easier to wipe down the suits as i go between tents. For $15 seems worth it to not have fabric that can cling to pollen.

edit; Said @Scrogger2190 and meant @dire wolf :)
Funny ! I was just thinking why didn't red give me some cred also 😂 Then I finished reading and you said @DireWolf ! Thanks

dire wolf

dire wolf

Thanks for the information and tips on what to do. I've been crouched in my 4x4 tent for almost an hour looking for the culprit but cant find any "nanners" but found a few more seeds.
I am going to finish them out, the buds that are already formed will be great to smoke once developed fully and I know seeds ruin a big harvest, but will I still come out with good enjoyable smoke besides the seeds being there?

Also, should i be removing them or is that wasteful? Do nanners form rarely or is it like now that I've found 1, more are likely to grow?
1-The weed will be excellent to smoke
2-Pluck out the seeds now if you can , just cause you don't need them
3-Your mystery pollen / seeding may be over
4-I wouldn't sweat it , live and learn

dire wolf

dire wolf

Nanners vary , they can form late and small and be sterile
They can appear early and open causing pollination , but you should be able to easily see that ..
Or they can full blow hermaphrodite and ruin a crop ( not in your case ) and you can easily see that happening

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

I am beginning to think me finding seeds in a bag of shake was both good and bad. Finding the seeds led me to growing for the 1st time which I've fallen in love with. Its a hobby that I will continue on with until the day I die and it all began with that bagseed. The bad part is that I think the genetics I have came from a less than ideal source and now Im dealing with this loss just before harvest.

I already have next round up and going, and Im glad to say that this time I got all purple city genetics cuts. Im going with Legend OG, Ice cream cake, Gushers, & Super lemon SMAC.

I pray that I've learned enough for this to not happen twice. Many of you have mentioned wiping down with bleach water after this to ensure my tent is sterile and I appreciate the shared knowledge. The last thing I want is for my next run to have the same issues.

If there is anything I can do to make my flowering ladies sees less, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thanks again.

-C

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Plants look pretty healthy. It's probably a genetic issue. When I first started I had a friend tell me that if a plant naturally hermies without stress, and its bred with a female it will create feminized seeds that will be prone to hermie. From what I understand it's easier to just go find new genetics than try to breed out the undesirable trait. If it was a natural hermie parent it could lead to problems, but if it was done with CS then the resulting offspring shouldnt be prone to hermie. What I would do is just finish them out. Cut out any pollen sacs that you can find. When the run is over hopefully the clone you had is the one that didnt hermie and hopefully you have a clone from it in veg. After the run I would stick with the one that didnt hermie and I would toss your bag seeds
Chemdog was clone only for a very long time because it tended to hermie. It’s often genetics and not anything we’ve done. I bought 10 pre-98 Bubba Kush from Greybeard and every single one hermied. Outdoors under straight daylight and beautiful weather here in Alaska. It definitely was not on me. Besides I had 27 other plants in 5 strains and nothing else popped a nut.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I am beginning to think me finding seeds in a bag of shake was both good and bad. Finding the seeds led me to growing for the 1st time which I've fallen in love with. Its a hobby that I will continue on with until the day I die and it all began with that bagseed. The bad part is that I think the genetics I have came from a less than ideal source and now Im dealing with this loss just before harvest.

I already have next round up and going, and Im glad to say that this time I got all purple city genetics cuts. Im going with Legend OG, Ice cream cake, Gushers, & Super lemon SMAC.

I pray that I've learned enough for this to not happen twice. Many of you have mentioned wiping down with bleach water after this to ensure my tent is sterile and I appreciate the shared knowledge. The last thing I want is for my next run to have the same issues.

If there is anything I can do to make my flowering ladies sees less, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thanks again.

-C
Don't give up on seeds just because of this experience , that would be a bad first grow lesson .....
In general , you won't find 5 seed grown plants going hermi , something a little unusual happened in your growroom

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Don't give up on seeds just because of this experience , that would be a bad first grow lesson .....
In general , you won't find 5 seed grown plants going hermi , something a little unusual happened in your growroom

I totally agree, something unusual happened and its driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was! Lol, I won't give up on seeds, NO WAY!
Honestly, I just live close to a dispensary that sells all kinds of different cuts from purple city so I thought I'd buy 4, veg them for a good while, take cuts of each, and whichever ones I like I will continue to grow. Here is my veg tent with the 4 new ladies...

Hey, can plants get pollinated in veg? Are these plants in my 2x2 likely to get pollinated in a different tent in a different room?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I’ve grown all kinds of bag seeds. Very few problems doing it. However I wouldn’t bet an entire crop on them.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Plants look great for a first timer aside from the seeds. Keep it up!! Attention to detail is all you need to get started and you’ve got it. Plenty of first timers never would’ve seen the seeds in the first place. 😎

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

could it be feminised seeds? To feminise the feeds the plants genetics are altered... a terminator enzyme is activated which destroys the Y chromosome... i don't like to use femmie seeds incase the genetics are altered in ways we cant imagine...

Top Bottom