Cannot stabilize temp/rh/vpd and in need of some advice.

• Thread starter iGemini365
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iGemini365

Hello all! I am posting this to try to get some advice. I currently have a 3x3x5 tent. I have been struggling to stabilize temp/rh/vpd. I currently have an ac infinity cloud line t4 with a smart controller 69 and carbon filter. I have a space heater and a humidifier as well as a clip on fan(doesn’t oscillate). I currently have a passive intake setup. I have been trying everything I can in terms of opening the airflow port on the tent. Opening it all of the way, halfway, a quarter of the way etc and nothing seems to work in terms of stabilizing temp/rh/vpd. I’m starting to worry about things.. Here is a screenshot of how the readings look on ac infinity app. From my understanding the lines are supposed to be smooth with no major dips/spikes.. I’m keeping my lung room at a lower temp(66 F) to promote proper airflow. Does anyone have any ideas/advice that they can provide to me? I’ve done extensive research and can’t seem to find anything that works.

Cannot stabilize temprhvpd and in need of some advice
GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

IMO this is one of the most difficult things to achieve because the solution is going to be different for everyone. Here is how I set up my system:

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

My solution is very manual. I make changes every single day based on the readings from my controllers and monitors. I also have to make changes from lights on and off. When lights are on my intake/exhaust is focused on temperature and I try to control humidity in the room (not tent). When lights are off it's the opposite.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
My solution is very manual. I make changes every single day based on the readings from my controllers and monitors. I also have to make changes from lights on and off. When lights are on my intake/exhaust is focused on temperature and I try to control humidity in the room (not tent). When lights are off it's the opposite.
^ this - never forget a huge factor into your tents ambient numbers are going to be directly affected by the environment the tent is in. I usually seal the vents in my room to make sure i am the one directing any temperature decrease or increase

I

iGemini365

IMO this is one of the most difficult things to achieve because the solution is going to be different for everyone. Here is how I set up my system: View attachment 1343210
Thank you! I appreciate it. Yeah this is difficult to achieve for sure. My lung room is always at an rh 46-58%. I might try to go with an active intake if I can’t get a window unit for my lung room. Or maybe might try to purchase a portable ac that doesn’t go into the window. I might even try to crack the window because where I live is cold right now.

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yeah this is difficult to achieve for sure. My lung room is always at an rh 46-58%. I might try to go with an active intake if I can’t get a window unit for my lung room. Or maybe might try to purchase a portable ac that doesn’t go into the window. I might even try to crack the window because where I live is cold right now.
I sold my portable AC and went with the window unit. The portable AC has to exhaust hot air outside which is less efficient while the window unit recirculates the air. You also have to factor in what you are going to do with the water that condenses out of the air which is a pain. The window unit gives me much more control over the environment.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I sold my portable AC and went with the window unit. The portable AC has to exhaust hot air outside which is less efficient. You also have to factor in what you are going to do with the water that condenses out of the air which is a pain. The window unit gives me much more control over the environment.
when summer comes i bet you money ill cut a hole in my "tarpwall" that covers two windows and slap an $89 ac in there and call it a day.

W

WookyWooky

I’m in the same boat. My lung room stays at a pretty consistent 66f/50%rH. I’m in early flower and during the day I try and keep temps around 75 and humidity around 60. At night I try and keep my humidity as low as possible but at low temps the air can’t carry much moisture. I exchange the air in the room as much as possible with two 4” exhaust fans. This is my first grow so this is not advice…lol…Just sharing what I’m doing to try and keep da critters out and da ladies happy.

Happy growing

I

iGemini365

I can’t find any window units for less than like $200 haha. I’ll have to save up and purchase one. In the meantime, I’m going to have to play around with what I have to try and stabilize things as much as possible. I hope I don’t run into any issues. I’ve invested so much $ and time into this already, as we all have, and would hate to see things go left. We will see how things go! I don’t see any signs of poor health right now but to my understanding I know things can rapidly progress out of nowhere. Hoping I can keep that from happening until I get a window unit!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Here is a screenshot of how the readings look on ac infinity app. From my understanding the lines are supposed to be smooth with no major dips/spikes..
The sawtooth pattern is normal. It's because devices like heaters and humidifiers are either on or off. The readings rise when they're on and they drop when they're off.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I can’t find any window units for less than like $200 haha. I’ll have to save up and purchase one. In the meantime, I’m going to have to play around with what I have to try and stabilize things as much as possible. I hope I don’t run into any issues. I’ve invested so much $ and time into this already, as we all have, and would hate to see things go left. We will see how things go! I don’t see any signs of poor health right now but to my understanding I know things can rapidly progress out of nowhere. Hoping I can keep that from happening until I get a window unit!
what region are you from?

MDK

MDK

Mine does it too...it's just part of the game...your exhaust is going make all those things (temp, rh, vpd) change...some people find a steady rate they can work with.

I found in veg when I wanted more humidity even though I had a nice humidifier it simply struggled in my 5x5....I had 2 options in my mind either get another humidifier or get an intermittent switch for my fan that would cut it off for a while so my humidifier could build humidity. Then I had to pray it could reach the desired humidity in under 5 mins....so I could cycle my air every 5ish mins...so my intermittent controller has my exhaust running for 5m30s and off for 4m30s. It does just like yours. It's like the human body...beating...breathing...like our environment outside too (although it is more gradual outside). I went thus route may go dual humidifier later down the line so I can run my exhaust constant and may find a bit more stability not sure.

I just had to come to the conclusion it's fine...

You get into a bigger space it's easier to maintain just like how a large grow facility can maintain constants easier than a small tent...

Edit: I do have an active intake system going, I got a little ac infinity inline fan to help push air into my tent so I didn't need to open a shit load of holes up and try to keep the light leaks in check. Also as mentioned many people control the room outside the tent humidity wise if they really wanna dial it in, or build a lung room

Last edited:
GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

Mine does it too...it's just part of the game...your exhaust is going make all those things (temp, rh, vpd) change...some people find a steady rate they can work with.

I found in veg when I wanted more humidity even though I had a nice humidifier it simply struggled in my 5x5....I had 2 options in my mind either get another humidifier or get an intermittent switch for my fan that would cut it off for a while so my humidifier could build humidity. Then I had to pray it could reach the desired humidity in under 5 mins....so I could cycle my air every 5ish mins...so my intermittent controller has my exhaust running for 5m30s and off for 4m30s. It does just like yours. It's like the human body...beating...breathing...like our environment outside too (although it is more gradual outside). I went thus route may go dual humidifier later down the line so I can run my exhaust constant and may find a bit more stability not sure.

I just had to come to the conclusion it's fine...

You get into a bigger space it's easier to maintain just like how a large grow facility can maintain constants easier than a small tent...

Edit: I do have an active intake system going, I got a little ac infinity inline fan to help push air into my tent so I didn't need to open a shit load of holes up and try to keep the light leaks in check. Also as mentioned many people control the room outside the tent humidity wise if they really wanna dial it in, or build a lung room
Good info. Instead of installing a switch to allow for humidity to build I adjust the temperature range for my fans. Ex. I set the temp target to 83 but I let it swing to 86 or 87 before the fan kicks on which gives me the additional time to build humidity. It just takes a lot of playing around with your systems in your environment. Set and watch, adjust and watch, adjust and watch over and over until you like what you see.

I

iGemini365

Thank you all for your advice and insight! I really appreciate it. I’ll keep on trying to dial it in as much as possible! I’ll keep everyone posted

Ponky

Ponky

If you just keep the room the tent is in cool with AC and draw intake air from somewhere else you'll have more stability on temps.

Reactions: MDK
I

iGemini365

Stop other thinking this , looking at your averages they're pretty nice

View attachment 1343211
Thank you!! I appreciate your response. Yeah I need to stop trying to hover over it and just let it do it’s thing. Just my first time and want to make sure I’m doing everything that I possibly can to end up with a decent result!

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Don’t overthink it too much but just play around with the settings. Sometimes your equipment works too much against eachother so maybe tune your humidifier to kick on earlier or later depending on the situation and set your exhaust parameters to a higher temp or humidity before turning on. You can always have a constant pull of fresh air into your tent using the ac infinity but have the setting lower or higher or you can have it not pulling at all and when your humidity rises to the set parameter it will kick on and give you the air exchange you need. Like someone else said it really depends on where you are at and what challenges you’re facing . With LEDs you can run you room hotter so I have my ac infinity kick on heavier when it gets past 84 degree F.

Do you use a controller for your humidifier like an Inkbird or is it just always running and you let the ac infinity exhaust when needed? This will cause the issue where you have a lot of back and forth. If you have a controller set it to like 57 (if 60 is your target RH) bc by the time the sensor updates and gets the correct info you’ve already overshot your target RH. Just some tinkering and you will be golden

I

iGemini365

Thank you so much! Wow I can’t express how much I appreciate every single response I’ve gotten. Truly feel the support! I just have a humidifier that has a humidistat in it and once the humidity reaches/falls below the set value it turns off/turns on. I’ve been thinking about getting an inkbird. Right now I have the exhaust fan set to run for 2 mins and then turn off for 4 mins at a time.

I

iGemini365

I know on countless websites they say not to worry about vpd so much as worrying about mastering the basics but in my opinion, I feel as if that is a basic requirement to gain understanding to learn how to master the craft in order to maximize results and not wasting time and money! Would you guys agree?

Top Bottom