Canopy Temps With Co2

• Thread starter ForrestGUMP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ForrestGUMP

So I recently sealed up my room and hooked up a co2 tank. Keeping it close to 1500 ppm. The canopy temps have been in the high 80s since I sealed it off. It's up to 93 today. I plan on getting a mini split after this harvest but I'm wondering how concerned I should be. One page said that 85-95 was recommended with co2. But I read on another couple pages that said 80-90.

I know this has been covered before and I'm sorry lol I was just hoping to get some advice on whether I should turn the lights down lol. They are all dimmable ballasts and they are on the "super" setting or whatever you wanna call it. At what temp should I consider dimming them? Ive always kept them all the way up in hopes of maximum yield and dense nugs lol.

P

Pimples

You might wanna think about venting and shutting down co2 until after you buy and install a mini split air conditioner. Thats very warm canopy temps..even with co2. You are potentially asking for very low terpene/hay smelling flowers and end product running a room that warm all through the grow. Optimum canopy temps with co2 is 78 to 82 degrees. 85 tops. And your roughly 10 degrees over that. You might get wonky growers on these forums saying otherwise and that your fine and they run them temps just fine...but its not. Trust me.

Last edited:
F

ForrestGUMP

You might wanna think about venting and shutting down co2 until after you buy and install a mini split air conditioner. Thats very warm canopy temps..even with co2. You are potentially asking for very low terpene/hay smelling flowers and end product running a room that warm all through the grow. Optimum canopy temps with co2 is 78 to 82 degrees. 85 tops. And your roughly 10 degrees over that. You might gonna get wonky growers on the forums saying otherwise and that your fine and they do run them temps just fine...but its not. Trust me.
I can definitely get temps down to 85 by turning the lights down. Probably even lower if I turn them down all the way. Would it be more worth it to turn them down and run co2? Or to shut the co2 off and ventilate somehow and keep the lights all the way up?

P

Pimples

I can definitely get temps down to 85 by turning the lights down. Probably even lower if I turn them down all the way. Would it be more worth it to turn them down and run co2? Or to shut the co2 off and ventilate somehow and keep the lights all the way up?
Turning your lights down isnt the answer. Answer is ventilate the room (you got plenty of cold ass air outside right now) and shut down the co2 until your ready to seal the room up proper and with the proper a.c. and dehuey. Thats when you run co2. Keep them lights rocking with the right wattage with the right ballast. Those dim knobs are more of a gimmick. Your taxing the bulbs and your not getting the optimum plant friendly spectrum messing with the dial. Only use the dimmer knob when you absolutely have to. You dont have to. Its winter. Bring that cool air in from below. Suck it out with a vent fan up top. Keep the crop healthy. Harvest. Get a mini split (and dehuey - very important) seal room up. Rock that co2. And start another crop.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

Can I run a mini split during the winter lol?
How winter is winter where your at? Some mini splits only work at so cold a temp outside. Me..I shut my split off in winter. Screw that. Here in Flint Michigan its 10 degrees right now. And Iam taking advantage of it. Save me some bucks. This is my best time to grow indoors. I can fire up my other room this time of year. Shut down the split. Crank out some production and be FLUSH by spring.

F

ForrestGUMP

Turning your lights down isnt the answer. Answer is ventilate the room (you got plenty of cold ass air outside right now) and shut down the co2 until your ready to seal the room up proper and with the proper a.c. and dehuey. Thats when you run co2. Keep them lights rocking with the right wattage with the right ballast. Those dim knobs are more of a gimmick. Your taxing the bulbs and your not getting the optimum plant friendly spectrum messing with the dial. Only use the dimmer knob when you absolutely have to. You dont have to. Its winter. Bring that cool air in from below. Suck it out with a vent fan up top. Keep the crop healthy. Harvest. Get a mini split (and dehuey - very important) seal room up. Rock that co2. And start another crop.

I'm not far from Flint. It just got a little warm down there because outdoor temps were so high yesterday I think. And I actually read it wrong earlier lol. I thought it said 93 but it was 83.

I'm just going to order the mini split now lol but I'm hoping i won't have to use it until spring with the low outside temps. I got a little freaked out when I thought it said 93

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Get the slip with the invertor. I think that' what it is. It allows the use in cold temps down to 5* iirc.

Be careful bringing in cold air into a warm humid grow. It spells a perfect breeding ground for mold and such.

Do NOT run high temps with co2 it does NOT work. Unless your ppl like fluffy ass worthless buds. Like above, 85* max.

I run co2, I've done 1000, 1200, 1400ppm runs. All great.

F

ForrestGUMP

Get the slip with the invertor. I think that' what it is. It allows the use in cold temps down to 5* iirc.

Be careful bringing in cold air into a warm humid grow. It spells a perfect breeding ground for mold and such.

Do NOT run high temps with co2 it does NOT work. Unless your ppl like fluffy ass worthless buds. Like above, 85* max.

I run co2, I've done 1000, 1200, 1400ppm runs. All great.
I won't have shitty buds under 85 tho? Cuz i don't think its gotten over 85 since I hooked up a 3rd exhaust fan

jammie

jammie

How winter is winter where your at? Some mini splits only work at so cold a temp outside. Me..I shut my split off in winter. Screw that. Here in Flint Michigan its 10 degrees right now. And Iam taking advantage of it. Save me some bucks. This is my best time to grow indoors. I can fire up my other room this time of year. Shut down the split. Crank out some production and be FLUSH by spring.
i love winter grows. much easier and cheaper to warm things up in winter than to cool in summer

F

ForrestGUMP

I think I'm going to be alright until harvest (mid February). It was high of 81 yesterday and 79 today. I'm still going to order the mini split so I have it just in case tho

F

ForrestGUMP

After week 4 is when you need to really worry about higher temps.
I'm 25 days in right now. The mini split should be hooked up next weekend. Outside temps are up again and it's been pretty close to 90 degrees today and yesterday....I was gonna turn the lights down until I got the A/C going....is that good lol or should I leave them all the way up?

P

Pimples

I'm 25 days in right now. The mini split should be hooked up next weekend. Outside temps are up again and it's been pretty close to 90 degrees today and yesterday....I was gonna turn the lights down until I got the A/C going....is that good lol or should I leave them all the way up?
Of its 90 degrees (or even 85 plus) at canopy and there is nothing you can do to cool it short of turning ballast wattage down...try it. If its only for a week. But damn man. 25 days in? This is critical bud set time right now. After about a month of 12-12 (the end of bud/flower set) they just swell with the flowers they got and start producing thc trichome glands. Sucks you might have to turn ballast wattage down for about a week at day 25. Try turning down only when temps kick pass 85. Might be a daily make it up as you go along dealy. Watch them temps bro. Your prolly gonna get fluffier than normal flowers anyways because you went into flower without the right environment. Even if you save the crop and make temps right next week with the new mini split installed. Cannabis is so quick indoors. Everyday (especailly in 12 - 12) is a HUGE day for the plant. And they love consistency.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

Figure for most indoor cultivars are 50 to 70 days of flower. This is the vast majority of what we are growing. Everyday in 12 -12 is 1 1/2 to 3% of its life. Doesnt sound like much but its actually ALOT. Quickly adds up and puts it into perspective how critical each 12 hour short day is to the plant.

Last edited:
F

ForrestGUMP

If I duct in some cold air through a filter would that be ok? I have air coming in from outside and running through the lights, and back outside. I was thinking about sealing up the duct going out and just bringing air in and like pointing it away from the plants with a filter and a timer? Is this a bad idea lol? (Until the A/C gets here?)

Top Bottom