Can't Solve The Riddle?

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

12 plants out of 60 beans! I was only looking for 12 but I wanted the 12 best phenos.
Same as always... into H2O for 48 hours then onto cheap colorless paper towels and paper plates. Should have been a slam dunk. Of the first 30 about half cracked and thru out a root but only 4 stuck their heads out of the dirt. Tried popping another 30 and got 7. The seeds were fresh and from a variety of vendors. I may just toss everything and start over. I would hate to invest the time on misfits almost as much as I hate spending a couple more bills on nuts.
Cant solve the riddle

These are NOT my idea of 2 week old plants. WTF I guess.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Sorry about your luck, maybe try one vender at a time, till you get the results you want.
Attitude seed bank has never failed me. good luck

Planter01

Planter01

@Bannacis. Traditionally I do get my seeds from Attitude because I use Bitcoin and take advantage of getting "freebies".
In this case about half the beans were from Attitude including Cheese, Critical Kush, White Widow and Green Crack and five or six single freebies. I've had unresolved issues of not getting everything I ordered but germination was never an issue. I'm In definitely going to avoid the seed banks next time. Maybe I'll get fresher nuts IDK. Sometimes I can get seeds cheaper from Attitude then direct from the producer.
I'm starting to put together another order but I may hold off a bit. MAYBE the 12 I have will settle in and show some appropriate vigor. I do wish I knew whether the beans were bad OR if it's human error. The plan WAS to cull everything down to the 12 best phenos with the intent on taking cuts so my grows would be perpetual. I've already built out a small space just for clone production. IDK but I wish I could attribute bad germination to human error simply because that's the easiest thing to fix. C'est la vie.
20170118 184510

That's what they should look like at this point not this.
20180107 112858

xavier7995

xavier7995

What sort of soil are you in? Maybe bugs or some sort of pathogen came in your dirt? This recent cold snap stunted my plants, I just couldn't keep it warm enough, maybe something along those lines as that looks like it could be a crawlspace you are growing in.

Planter01

Planter01

Even now the girls are looking out of sorts. They're just not doing it. The RH is 25% / 30%. and the temps swing from 72 to 85 and are balanced pretty well.The paper towels on the paper plate slide into unzipped gallon bags. The humility in the bags while germing was probably 100%. Most of the time I get 80%, 90%, even 100% germination but this is a freaking anomaly. There's 900 watts of 50 watt 3590's. Dimmable and backed off to prob 70% of full. I do need to remove the potentiometer Haha dimmer. The manufacturer says I'm losing 10% of my light just using the dimmer and that's a chit ton. But I digress.. Xavier right now I'm in straight up nuteless Pro-Mix with mycor something. I also sprayed the room down with a heavy bleach solution but that was because of all the Botrytis rot that plagued the outdoor season big time that I'm ascrared of. All they drink is koi pond water but over the next couple of days I will hit them with their first taste of a light seaweed tea and a touch of npk. I just wish I had new beans in hand NOW. I would cut my losses and start over from scratch. I guess if I want new seed I'll have to place an order. Oh well. I have this thing with plants that fail to thrive or show no vigor so if they know what's good for them..... down comes the axe.

K

kansabis

I'm not saying this is your issue but my last few dealings with attitude I've had bad germ rates too,especially on the freebies,my thinking is its just really old stock or maybe they went through some conditions on the way to you that wasn't ideal and harmed them. I personally use American seedbanks now,just my.02. Good luck with the future.

Planter01

Planter01

@kansabis ... I'm thinking you might be right about Attitude and seed banks in general. Aside from the poor germ rate my order was incomplete and they wouldnt make it right. Big mistake cause ive spent a decent chunk of change with them over the years. I can't think of the banks name off hand but I believe Attitude has a sister bank as the web site looks the same. I guess its time to go to a state side breeder/vendor but I'm an old guy and I'm just not up on the latest and greatest new varieties. It's easy to cross plants and give the results a name. The difficulty is finding a 5 pack of anything that doesn't have 5 phenotypes. Successful breeding does not end until you've achieved a specific goal and the results are rock solid. If you buy a specific variety of tomatoes or corn for example you generally gets plants that are identical. That's what I like to see in Ganja. In the olden days a skunk #1 or NL pack of seeds seemed to produce plants that were close to identical in growth habit. That doesnt seem to be the case with the newer varieties. The other obstacle is with so many vendors is the choices you have and whether their product lives up to the catalog descriptions. Well here in assachusetts we voted to legalize but its been a slow process. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to buy beans or cuts at a store near me. I do wish I could dump this grow and start over but I don't want to wait to start and finish a run and winter is when I can do the best at balancing temps and humidity. I'll give these seemingly stunted plants a little bit more time but I'll axe them b4 I run substandard plants. I guess I have to find a reliable vendor, read some reviews, bite the bullet and get an order placed. The 12 have another week b4 I cut my losses so thrive babies thrive. Only time will tell. Vios con Dios

K

kansabis

Yeah there is a couple stateside seedbanks I've used with no issue that have reliable breeders,jamesbeancompany and Oregon elite seedbank,both can do cc or money order and delivery is around 5 days or less.

H

hawkman

@Bannacis. Traditionally I do get my seeds from Attitude because I use Bitcoin and take advantage of getting "freebies".
In this case about half the beans were from Attitude including Cheese, Critical Kush, White Widow and Green Crack and five or six single freebies. I've had unresolved issues of not getting everything I ordered but germination was never an issue. I'm In definitely going to avoid the seed banks next time. Maybe I'll get fresher nuts IDK. Sometimes I can get seeds cheaper from Attitude then direct from the producer.
I'm starting to put together another order but I may hold off a bit. MAYBE the 12 I have will settle in and show some appropriate vigor. I do wish I knew whether the beans were bad OR if it's human error. The plan WAS to cull everything down to the 12 best phenos with the intent on taking cuts so my grows would be perpetual. I've already built out a small space just for clone production. IDK but I wish I could attribute bad germination to human error simply because that's the easiest thing to fix. C'est la vie.View attachment 769551
That's what they should look like at this point not this.View attachment 769552
have you had good luck with attitude ?

K

kansabis

I did a few years ago then it seemed to go downhill,plus to me if ur in the states,ordering from the states is much more reliable,cheaper and faster.

Bannacis

Bannacis

have you had good luck with attitude ?
I have ordered about 3 times from them...all good, last one just in december. they been in original breeder packs. except the freebies of course. it might not be attitude bank, but from the selected breeder.
Bomb seeds always grew to what stated.

L

Lotaclams

I was always a paper towel man myself, but after losing a couple seedlings I stared using starter cubes to germinate, humidity dome, heat pad, 100% better. 10 buck a seed hurts my feelings when they die.

H

hawkman

don';t know what to use any more in germination - comes down to genetic's (have had about 50% rate for Humbolt Seed Organization - disappointed !!!!

Planter01

Planter01

I've purchased from Attitude at least half a dozen times and there were always good sized orders. From my limited perspective the germination rate has gone downhill big time even though the seeds have always been from a variety of breeders. Customer service has nose dived too. Funny how customer service in general is great until you have a problem. My last order from them was missing freebies and a ten pack of fem Strawberry Amnesia. I complained and itemized what I had received and got nowhere. They never made it right and I can't stand being burned.
The nail in the coffin was a 20% germ rate. Some of the beans looked like they were empty hulls or immature and just were not looking good. I did like the variety I could get from them but I'm moving on. I'm gonna look back through my "notes" and see who grew the seeds that performed the best and maybe order from them directly. I'm old and old school and variety names don't mean much if you getting 10 different phenos out of ten seeds. When I plant a dozen tomato plants I expect them to all be the same. If your breeding your not done until your phenotypes are the same generation after generation. A monkey can cross two marijuana varieties and give the seeds a name but that don't mean chit. It has allowed thousands of names but not thousands of variety. I need a new source of beans...

H

hawkman

I've purchased from Attitude at least half a dozen times and there were always good sized orders. From my limited perspective the germination rate has gone downhill big time even though the seeds have always been from a variety of breeders. Customer service has nose dived too. Funny how customer service in general is great until you have a problem. My last order from them was missing freebies and a ten pack of fem Strawberry Amnesia. I complained and itemized what I had received and got nowhere. They never made it right and I can't stand being burned.
The nail in the coffin was a 20% germ rate. Some of the beans looked like they were empty hulls or immature and just were not looking good. I did like the variety I could get from them but I'm moving on. I'm gonna look back through my "notes" and see who grew the seeds that performed the best and maybe order from them directly. I'm old and old school and variety names don't mean much if you getting 10 different phenos out of ten seeds. When I plant a dozen tomato plants I expect them to all be the same. If your breeding your not done until your phenotypes are the same generation after generation. A monkey can cross two marijuana varieties and give the seeds a name but that don't mean chit. It has allowed thousands of names but not thousands of variety. I need a new source of beans...
really my rate is about 50% from attitude - wish I could find a good bank/breeder with good germination rates

Top Bottom