Carbon filter and fan question

• Thread starter SHAKELLY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do in a sealed room. But often times its nothing more than using a proper sized equipment
I dont doubt it works as he says but they are designed to pull air through for best performance in terms of removal of voc

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How would going from 90% effective to 80% effective at oder control render it 100% useless?
Do you have a true value of reduction? Or is that just plucked from thin air?

See you need to understand carbon, dwell time and contact time. If you reduce the dwell or contact time you reduce the efficiency…. So when you see a large reduction in restriction you can assume a large reduction in efficiency

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Do you have a true value of reduction? Or is that just plucked from thin air?

See you need to understand carbon, dwell time and contact time. If you reduce the dwell or contact time you reduce the efficiency…. So when you see a large reduction in those you can assume a large reduction in efficiency
You raised it as an issue... the onus is on you.

Prove there is a reduction in effectiveness at all. Then establish that it is as significant as you imply.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Prove there is a reduction in effectiveness at all. Then establish that it is as significant as you imply.
I owe you nothing… i told you why. The onus is in you whether you want to educate yourself in the matter or be lazy and not.

Im not the one pulling numbers out if thin air

Sorry i dont do entitled millennial bullshit you kids seen to think is your right to demand.

Now if you would have asked differently youd probably get a more favourable answer but you didn’t.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But ill say if you want to keep clean bearings, fan housing, ducting etc. your not going to want to push it through. There is a reason house filter suck air through…. Its better for the motor and components to run clean

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

I owe you nothing… i told you why. The onus is in you whether you want to educate yourself in the matter or be lazy and not.

Im not the one pulling numbers out if thin air

Sorry i dont do entitled millennial bullshit you kids seen to think is your right to demand.

Now if you would have asked differently youd probably get a more favourable answer but you didn’t.
Bro, in this series of comments, you're the one not backing up your assertions with ANY kind of data driven source. Now you are being rude. Stop.

I am vastly older than I look.

If you want to change my mind, the onus *is* on you.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bro, in this series of comments, you're the one not backing up your assertions with ANY kind of data driven source. Now you are being rude. Stop.

I am vastly older than I look.

If you want to change my mind, the onus *is* on you.
Why would i want to change your mind? You dont use one.

If common sense escapes youbits not my fault. I explained that if the dwell time and contact time changes so do s the efficacy…. What are you not understanding?

Wake up and smell the pheromones.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

and go back and re read your the one that was throwing number out in every post… i didn’t throw a single number out… i put forth the principles At play any how they work…

How would going from 90% effective to 80% effective at oder control render it 100% useless?

See your claims of the change in efficiency and yet no data to back that up… fuckin kids.

Im saying it will reduce efficiency and lead to sucking a buncha shit into your fan and ducting. There is a reason they are designed to suck air through… same as all hvac systems installed to prevent a bunch of particulate from getting into everything only with carbon so the dwell and contact time is then added to the equation

Madmax

Madmax

Hoping someone can clarify a few things as think I've done to much reading on it lol

I've calculated my grow room needs approx 180cfm. I will be adding for heat generated by LED'S, warmer weather and duct fan turns etc so will be going a little bigger prob nearer 300cfm.

Ideally i want the air exchanged every 1 to 2 minutes.

I already have the AC Infinity 67 controller so fan wise it will be definitely be an AC Infinity.

So the AC S6 fan has a CFM of 402cfm, perfectly adequate but I'm thinking that's full blast and I'm worried about the noise.

Would the AC S8 you think at 807CFM running slower be quieter?

I definitely need to get rid of the smell as much as poss and as the grow is in a loft it can get warm in the summer.

Last question is matching up the fan and filter CFM. I understand how to do that but see my confusion below.

If i go AC infinity S6 fan (402cfm) and rhino pro 6inch filter 150 x 600mm at 529cfm I'm worried about running fan fast and noisy to get enough air through the carbon to sort smells.

If I go AC s8 fan 807cfm the biggest rhino 8 inch Pro filter is only 662cfm. I've read the filter should be a larger cfm than the fan so air is pulled though is slower and smells dealt with better.

With the above I've also read lol that i can run a 6inch fan with an 8 inch carbon filter which helps with the noise but also the smell.

Is that correct?

Any advice would be appreciated on any other 8 inch filter that works well for smells and my setup.

TIA. I'm a novice and first grow but my ladies are doing well and want to keep them that way.
You just run a bigger 6' filter rated more in cfm than your fan so your fans not working hard to suck the air through.i did what you mentioned i bought an 8' phresh rated at 710 cfm with the filter at 720 cfm, cant remember exactly the numbers and run it low for less noise..this is in a 5x5 room ..

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

You just run a bigger 6' filter rated more in cfm than your fan so your fans not working hard to suck the air through.i did what you mentioned i bought an 8' phresh rated at 710 cfm with the filter at 720 cfm, cant remember exactly the numbers and run it low for less noise..this is in a 5x5 room ..
LOL! Right? No need to have to figure out the coefficient of air exchanges in the atmospheric parabalum(Not real. Just scientific mumbo jumbo to prove a point!)

Once again, these are plants. It's like chasing 6.0 in your feedwater. A great guideline but not something that is critical to the plants health.

Like madmax said, if you're concerned with airflow in your space get a bigger filter with less drag on the fan.

Just to open another pandoras box, how would you figure out the net CFM you can exhaust with a carbon filter on. Is there a mathematical formula that would yield this type of info?

OP if you have run your filter in hogher humidity the carbon will swell and reduce the airflow and efficiency. This is a big oart of the quality of filter too. Not all carbon is created equal.

What would be the carbon types that would prevent this type of swelling? I was under the impression that all fell under the "activated charcoal" category. I didn't realize there was a subset of quality.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

LOL! Right? No need to have to figure out the coefficient of air exchanges in the atmospheric parabalum(Not real. Just scientific mumbo jumbo to prove a point!)

Once again, these are plants. It's like chasing 6.0 in your feedwater. A great guideline but not something that is critical to the plants health.

Like madmax said, if you're concerned with airflow in your space get a bigger filter with less drag on the fan.

What would be the carbon types that would prevent this type of swelling? I was under the impression that all fell under the "activated charcoal" category. I didn't realize there was a subset of quality.
Yeah they have different micropore properties and a big difference in cost factor . The carbon for say filtering drinking water is different than for air but both are activated carbon. There is a grading and application on them. I cant for the life of me remember exactly the names since its been forever since i really dug into it. I only use phresh filters but im sure there are better i just haven’t found the need to go looking.

I also dont run mine in veg when i run higher humidity but a week or 2 into flowering i most definitely do. Im sure a quick google search would give you your answers but if your having trouble finding the info i can see what i can find for you.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

and go back and re read your the one that was throwing number out in every post… i didn’t throw a single number out… i put forth the principles At play any how they work…

See your claims of the change in efficiency and yet no data to back that up… fuckin kids.

Im saying it will reduce efficiency and lead to sucking a buncha shit into your fan and ducting. There is a reason they are designed to suck air through… same as all hvac systems installed to prevent a bunch of particulate from getting into everything only with carbon so the dwell and contact time is then added to the equation
I threw out numbers trying to create context for your vauge unsuported assertions... which escelated in hyperbole as you posted.

The data supporting what I said regarding cfm was posted by blastfact... in the other thread... which I linked.

You brought up the odor issue... and I can't seem to find the post where you show it's as drastic a loss in effectiveness as you're making it out to be.

All filters operate primarily on a sieve effect, by creating holes too small for molecules to pass through.

A carbon filter has an additional factor which is rooted in a fact found at the molecular level. See, carbon atoms are total wh0res. They want to hook up with just about everything in the universe. If there is an opening in another molecule, carbon atoms are on it... but they need a bit of time to bond.

So, due to this additional effect, carbon filters are more effective at filtering than other filter media in many instances.

You totally ignore the primary effect of all filtering, and botched explaining and supporting the unique secondary effect of using carbon to create the sieve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom