Carbon filter and light fixture

• Thread starter Jon808Burn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

Is it ok to run my ventilation ducting through my light and out to my carbon filter and inline fan? essentially killing two birds with one stone, cooling light and ventilating room?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I do them separately. The fan filter combo vents the room, separate fan vents the light.

outwest

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

do you use outside air to vent the light, sealed from any inside grow room contact?

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Yes its very common practice, but you want your Filter at the begining of the ventilation circuit so the stank is sucked thru outside of the filter thru the light and outside of the room...

silverhaze

silverhaze

do you use outside air to vent the light, sealed from any inside grow room contact?

I use outside air on a closed loop that never touches the sealed room. If you are going to use filtered cool air from the room WWF has it right, put the filter first and push the filtered air. If you run the hoods with outside air and no contact with the room, just run the carbon scrubber inside the room all the time turning the air over.

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

Yes its very common practice, but you want your Filter at the begining of the ventilation circuit so the stank is sucked thru outside of the filter thru the light and outside of the room...
so the fan being at the end of the ducting line. Scrubber first then light then outside room fan last or fan before filter

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

I use outside air on a closed loop that never touches the sealed room. If you are going to use filtered cool air from the room WWF has it right, put the filter first and push the filtered air. If you run the hoods with outside air and no contact with the room, just run the carbon scrubber inside the room all the time turning the air over.
on a related note, do you run your ventilation constantly or periodically? if i were to have a fan sucking air out, while having a vented separate intake, would i need a fan on the intake a well

silverhaze

silverhaze

so the fan being at the end of the ducting line. Scrubber first then light then outside room fan last or fan before filter

I would put the fan directly on top of the scrubber, sucking the air from the room through the filter and then pushing it through the lights and out. You can theoretically do it the other way with the fan at the end but you will lose efficiency. Better to push than pull IMO. So fan on top of scrubber before the lights. Good luck.

silverhaze

silverhaze

on a related note, do you run your ventilation constantly or periodically? if i were to have a fan sucking air out, while having a vented separate intake, would i need a fan on the intake a well

My set up is different as I run a sealed room, no intake/no exhaust. So my hood fans do nothing but cool the hoods by moving the hot air away; therefore they're only on when the lights are on. You may just get enough fresh air being sucked in from the leaks and gaps around your room and could possibly get a way without - this will probably cause some negative pressure. If it is fairly well sealed, you may want to add another fan for fresh air in and you would probably want to filter this air to reduce unwanted intruders. I personally run a fan/scrubber in the room all the time - just turning the air. Do you use C02?

Good luck bro - you in the 808?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yes, I do. I also am waiting for one of those dust shrooms to clean the intake air for the hood.

outwest

buddogmutt

buddogmutt

Banned
i dont like my filter taking up height space in my tent..they work just as well placed outside the tent as you said "killing 2 birds"...i have plenty of height space and no smell in garage...here's my setup...as you see in my posts..plants dont mind/suffer at all

100 0915
100 0889
100 0860
100 0862
100 0861
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Thats awesome! I didn't know they worked run backwards... Figured all the carbon would blow out into the pre-filter (or post filter in your case.)

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ive got my filter in my tent an it does not effect the height of my hood at all. Love the cooler idea.

outwest

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

My set up is different as I run a sealed room, no intake/no exhaust. So my hood fans do nothing but cool the hoods by moving the hot air away; therefore they're only on when the lights are on. You may just get enough fresh air being sucked in from the leaks and gaps around your room and could possibly get a way without - this will probably cause some negative pressure. If it is fairly well sealed, you may want to add another fan for fresh air in and you would probably want to filter this air to reduce unwanted intruders. I personally run a fan/scrubber in the room all the time - just turning the air. Do you use C02?

Good luck bro - you in the 808?
im from hawaii but live in san diego now. i see well i haven't started yet wanting to get a solid plan before i spend any money. I would be using co2 or at least planned on it.

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

i dont like my filter taking up height space in my tent..they work just as well placed outside the tent as you said "killing 2 birds"...i have plenty of height space and no smell in garage...here's my setup...as you see in my posts..plants dont mind/suffer at all
sweet man the way you have your outtake is exactly what i was wanting to do. wasn't sure if that would work but now i know. I like the cooler! thats brilliant especially since where i live is approaching summer and shit gets hot. now do you have a second inline fan for your intake as well? or does the fan in your outtake enough ?

buddogmutt

buddogmutt

Banned
the 440 inline is enough....as long as the suction is strong enough to make the tent walls pull inward..its enough..thats negetive pressure...you always want neg pressure in your tent

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I wouldnt try a seal/ enriched enviro for your first grow room. Master an intake /exhaust grow first. Plus you are enriching with co2 than you won't be able to get two birds stoned at once... You will have to run your filter separately as a scrubber(just a carbon filter with an inline fan attached to the top, no ducting.) You can cool your lights on a closed circuit that never gets into the growing area. Make sure you get nice hoods that seal really well. You will need A/C of some sort and humidity control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom