Carbon Filter Recommendations?

• Thread starter RABB1T
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RABB1T

RABB1T

Just getting back into the swing of things and realized I am going to need another filter. I've only used the big old CAN brand but it's been a couple of years. Is there a newer/better filter/brand available these days? Thanks for any replies y'all.

This is for a small 10x10 setup btw. I don't need anything for an industrial capacity.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Just getting back into the swing of things and realized I am going to need another filter. I've only used the big old CAN brand but it's been a couple of years. Is there a newer/better filter/brand available these days? Thanks for any replies y'all.

This is for a small 10x10 setup btw. I don't need anything for an industrial capacity.
I like the brand called PHRESH

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

someone posted a video where they ground off the rivets dumped out the carbon and cleaned it with a torch and dumped it back in
Forgot what they did to put it back together some sealant or jb weld probably get you going

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
someone posted a video where they ground off the rivets dumped out the carbon and cleaned it with a torch and dumped it back in
Forgot what they did to put it back together some sealant or jb weld probably get you going
You can pop rivet the thing back together... dont buy the the pellets though to refill it... they suck compared to the actual rock carbon

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
CAN has a slight price advantage over the Phresh, overall. But with CAN you have to install the flange yourself, sold separately.

Both are very good ime.

Best of luck.
Peace

Natural

Natural

I have been loyal to the good ol Can..but my shop has been pushing Can-lite on me lately..giving them a go..comes with a flange already attached. Probably won't last as long as the original..but that could be a good thing as I tend to push the limits and changing them more often can only be good

pugliese63

pugliese63

I have been loyal to the good ol Can..but my shop has been pushing Can-lite on me lately..giving them a go..comes with a flange already attached. Probably won't last as long as the original..but that could be a good thing as I tend to push the limits and changing them more often can only be good

I'm currently using a couple of Can-lites. I don't really have a method of quantatively comparing them. The only difference I notice is they're a hell of a lot easier to install. I've been running them for about six month's now so I can't comment on longevity.

Depending on humidity levels 2 years is no problem... the trick is to turn it 1/4 turn and slap the filter every harvest... then of course clean the glass in your hood hahaha

Great advise. I also vacuum the pre filter every cycle. Oversizing the filter or under sizing the fan ( i.e. 8" filter with a 6" fan) will increase the effectiveness as well.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I'm currently using a couple of Can-lites. I don't really have a method of quantatively comparing them. The only difference I notice is they're a hell of a lot easier to install. I've been running them for about six month's now so I can't comment on longevity.

Great advise. I also vacuum the pre filter every cycle. Oversizing the filter or under sizing the fan ( i.e. 8" filter with a 6" fan) will increase the effectiveness as well.
I throw my pre filters in the washing machine. You dont necessarily have to neck down...just buy a higher cfm filter than the fan.

The Terps

The Terps

It's all just carbon in a can just by the one closest to the register

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
It's all just carbon in a can just by the one closest to the register
There is a bit of a difference between the pellets vs rock form.... the rock form has better surface area

N

noone88

I had to replace all my Phresh filters (12" x 39") after two years. I am now using Can Lite filters.

The mountain airs are pretty good as well.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I picked up a Black Ops 750cfm today......and DAMN is this thing LIGHT!!! Can't really speak too much on it other than that at this point. They say it will last 2 years, only time will tell on that note.

@fishwhistle how long do you rock the mountainaires before replacing them? OrgnKid recommended them to me years back, its just hard to find any grow shops that actually carry them, or are willing to special order them.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The ones i have now are 2+ years old and still going strong,Greners has them at a decent price but the shipping costs you.

Ive used a few different brands over the years and i think these work best for odor control(for me anyways).Im told there more expensive wholesale so the shops cant make as much on them and dont carry them alot.

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

@ RABB1T, you didn't mention your ceiling height to calculate your cubic ft. Also the filters going to reduce your fans cfm's by about 20%, so you should take that into account and compensate for it. High humidity levels will render any filter useless so keep that in mind as well. All of the above mentioned filters work well and should have a 2yr lifespan. Make sure to clean the prefilter at least every 3 months. Im rockin the phresh skinny series right now and they're excellent. Best of luck to you.

Top Bottom