Carbon filter setup WHaaa?

• Thread starter 2leftshoes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

2leftshoes

yo whats up

okay so ive seen alot of carbon filter set ups in a grow tent and I have never seen one that i think would be the most effective way here it is

fan<light hood---<carbonfilter---<exhaust fan< where ever your blowing your air out

This is what ive seen everybody doing it

Carbon filter-<fan<light hood---<exhaust fan< where your air comes out

The problem i see with this is that the air your pulling up through your light hood will go out your exhaust and a lot more stink will get out. I havent seen people doing this and to me this seems like the best way of setting a carbon filter up

Please comment your opinion

Thanks!

M

mcpuffin

Filter>lights>fan>exhaust. Tape off your lights to minimize chance of air being pulled through lights. Otherwise, you need to isolate the lights to a separate run (in & out), then it will be filter>fan>exhaust.

Natural

Natural

mcpuffin's idea would work good if your headspace is limited. In my rooms, I do filter/fan/lights/out. That way all the filtered air "pressurizes" the system..any leaks in the ducting and lights are filtered air. There is no way for "stinky air" to leak. Much easier to find leaks in the line such as lights as well..you might even hear it whistle.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Keeps your reflectors clean by starting through the carbon filter

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...or go barebulb vertical and then it'd be scrubber>fan>exhaust.

i personally have found it to be easier to deal with heat this way while increasing my yields.

peace, bozo

M

mcpuffin

mcpuffin's idea would work good if your headspace is limited. In my rooms, I do filter/fan/lights/out. That way all the filtered air "pressurizes" the system..any leaks in the ducting and lights are filtered air. There is no way for "stinky air" to leak. Much easier to find leaks in the line such as lights as well..you might even hear it whistle.
Inline fans are meant to pull air, not push.

2leftshoes

so the only ways of scrubbing all air that coming out of you tent with one filter is to not have a cool tube reflector or if i want the cool tube reflector well scrubbing all air i would have to hav 2 different filters in separate runs?

Natural

Natural

Inline fans are meant to pull air, not push.
technically..I'm pulling through the filter and pushing through the lights..the lights being less resistant, makes the set-up closer to pulling than pushing. To be completely copacetic and get the most life and least resistance it would serve you to have filter/fan/lights/fan (basically a booster fan). I tend to oversize my out-take and undersize my intake..further putting resistance on my out-take fans. I have negative pressure and cool rooms.
Many ways to skin this cat though...like bozo suggests...or dedicate your lights to an exhaust line with a dust shroom in and out...then on a whole other line, out-take and intake with fans/filters..etc etc

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

so the only ways of scrubbing all air that coming out of you tent with one filter is to not have a cool tube reflector or if i want the cool tube reflector well scrubbing all air i would have to hav 2 different filters in separate runs?

no man, if you don't go vertical you have to be sure your cooltube is sealed so no unfiltered air is sucked in, then it'll be your temps that decide whether or not you'd need to isolate the light on it's own, dedicated ducting run, ...if this did indeed need to be done as a strategy to control heat you wouldn't need a second scrubber, you'd just need to run ducting with a dedicated intake and exhaust, that way you'd be pulling cool fresh air across the light and that air never comes in contact with your plants so no odor problem to worry about.

in that eventuality you would again set up with the air being sucked into the scrubber, through the fan and out of the grow space. ...the light, being on it's own dedicated ducting run never becomes an issue.

peace, bozo

2leftshoes

no man, if you don't go vertical you have to be sure your cooltube is sealed so no unfiltered air is sucked in, then it'll be your temps that decide whether or not you'd need to isolate the light on it's own, dedicated ducting run, ...if this did indeed need to be done as a strategy to control heat you wouldn't need a second scrubber, you'd just need to run ducting with a dedicated intake and exhaust, that way you'd be pulling cool fresh air across the light and that air never comes in contact with your plants so no odor problem to worry about.

in that eventuality you would again set up with the air being sucked into the scrubber, through the fan and out of the grow space. ...the light, being on it's own dedicated ducting run never becomes an issue.

peace, bozo

awesome thanks for explaining, but what would be the best way of sealing the cool tube without losing the most lumans?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

awesome thanks for explaining, but what would be the best way of sealing the cool tube without losing the most lumans?
...ummm, you could try duct tape maybe?

here's a couple pics of my first bloom room where i ran twin 150HPS in a DIY cooltube i made from 2 hurricane glass's i got at a local craft store for 8 bucks each and that i put together with a rubber plumbing joint, the ends are taped with silver duct tape, not the cheap stuff, the silver stuff you need to go look for and it's more expensive so be prepared. ...the difference is that with regular duct tape it will dry out and go brittle and crack and then leave a huge mess, the silver shit on the other hand won't EVER do this.

anyway, maybe the pics will explain better than my ramblings.

...btw, you're never gonna get it perfect bro so try not to overthink things, just do your best and let that be good enough.

peace, bozo

DSCI1437smll

DSCI1438smll

DSCI1439smll

B

Buzzbait

my filter is set up like yours but I use a 6x24 phresh and a sun system cool tube and use silver tape and it leaks no air or smell..I can actually pump my heat back in the house with no smell,now when my filter gets a little older I run it out the roof in the attic

Camdawg

Camdawg

...ummm, you could try duct tape maybe?

here's a couple pics of my first bloom room where i ran twin 150HPS in a DIY cooltube i made from 2 hurricane glass's i got at a local craft store for 8 bucks each and that i put together with a rubber plumbing joint, the ends are taped with silver duct tape, not the cheap stuff, the silver stuff you need to go look for and it's more expensive so be prepared. ...the difference is that with regular duct tape it will dry out and go brittle and crack and then leave a huge mess, the silver shit on the other hand won't EVER do this.

anyway, maybe the pics will explain better than my ramblings.

...btw, you're never gonna get it perfect bro so try not to overthink things, just do your best and let that be good enough.

peace, bozo

View attachment 374749

View attachment 374750

View attachment 374751

Dope diy mirco cab. What's it pull in a good run?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Dope diy mirco cab. What's it pull in a good run?
thanks man, i ran that cab with the twin 150's before upgrading to a 400CMH in a proper, air-cooled hood and i chose the SuperSun II because of the configuration of the air-flow, you can't see it but the intake is on the opposite side of the hood, ...note that in this configuration i've run a separate air channel so now the scrubber is on it's own ducting run.

DSCI2173

...as to yields, well, first, i retired that cab a couple years ago so remembering specifics is difficult, i will say it did pretty good ok, ...here's a couple of White Rhino's i grew in 2liter coco hempy buckets in that cab and these yielded almost 2zipz each so that's almost a quarter elbow in just 4 liters of media.

DSCI0040

peace, bozo

limbchicken

limbchicken

filter, fan ,light ,then out, the reason to push air through the light instead of pull. Minimize the heat on the inline fan

Top Bottom