Carbon Filters, Replace charcoal or new?

• Thread starter MercDod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MercDod

MercDod

Good Day All,

I have two grows through my AC Infinity 6" carbon filter and it does not seem to be doing as well as it once was. How long should it last? Should I just replace the activated charcoal and if so where do you guys get it and how much to use? OR replace the whole filter with a new one?

What do you guys do?

Madmax

Madmax

Hi mate..dunno where and how easily availablie it is where you are but type in virgin rc-48 activated carbon and see what comes up.thats the good stuff...its probably cheaper and easier just to purchase a newy..

Blastfact

Blastfact

I have a old wash tub. When the carbon filters stop being effective I put one in the wash tub. Fill the wash tub up with water and dump two quarts of peroxide in the water and mix well. Let the filter set for a few hours and rinse and let air dry with a fan on them. Use until they stop working again and replace at that point. Always use the prefilters and wash them every grow min. if not once during the grow cycle.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

I bought the $119 6" 440cfm on growlights.ca worked great, as @Blastfact said use a prefilter for sure and clean them they will last the full 2 years or 3 for stink... maybe less depending on size of grow but if they get full of dust and debris it can last only months for airflow.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I use an 8 inch cloud fan and run two 6 inch filters for almost a year now. Im thinking its a yearly replacement. 69$ a pop. . i use two and split the draw. Each ones about 400cfm 24/7 and we have pets and smoke inside. Still filtering perfectly

Screenshot 20220618 164102
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

My GF works for a carbon filter manufacturer. She asked one of the tech guys the differences between the good and not so good filters. Carbon origin. He told her the frames are all the same so no difference in performance. The activated charcoal inside is what makes the difference.

He also told her if you want to refresh the filter to almost like new performance you need to stick the entire filter in boiling water and let it boil for about an hour. He also told her to tell me DO NOT remove the charcoal from the filter as you'll have a hell of a time realigning the inner perforated tube to the end cap. He told her that if you do it this way the charcoal will last for at least a year or so.

MercDod

MercDod

I emailed AC Infinity about replacement charcoal (the company that made mine) they asked me for my receipt and promptly sent me a new filter. The only catch was I had to send my old filter back at their expense. It was also less than two years old. I think that was great service!

F

figgie

So in the autoworld where carbon canister have been used for decades... the way they (they being the Bosch, Delphi, etc of the world) keep the carbon canister working for 100k. 200k miles etc is to purge them with fresh air. They continue to capture the VOC from the gasoline without issues.

With all this said.. has any used;

Can filter (like a Can 66) .
Airbox stealth 1 or 2 with the replaceable carbon filters AND pre-filter or the Airbox jr coco (It is about the only true replaceable carbon filter based air box that i could find)?

Top Bottom