Caregiving Question

• Thread starter brewmaster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

brewmaster

Farmers,

I was recently approached by a good friend who knows what I do behind closed doors (one of the very few), whose Father was stuck by a car about a year ago. His father just got out of the hospitol in a state that is not a MMJ state but will be moving to a state that is a MMJ state (mine) to get his license to deal with the nerve pain that he now has. Anyways, this on its own could pay more than my current salary probably almost double. So I am beginning to think about switching careers into private caregiving more and more recently but am left with several hurdles.

Little more information: Everything would be registered and always within plant limit, fire code, and any other regulations.

My questions are as follows:

1. Really how legit is this? I have my card, my wife has her card and both for debilitating dieseases.

2. How would I claim this income for taxes and shit?

3. At what point do I need to get an inspector to check out my plants and everything.

4. What level of security is required by law for this kind of setup (under 30 plants)?

5. Is there anything I am overlooking?

Cheers

S

SoCoMMJ

My questions are as follows:

1. Really how legit is this? I have my card, my wife has her card and both for debilitating dieseases.
At a federal level it is still illegal. You have to understand that first. At the state level it is completely legit. Unlike most med states where MMJ was passed into law, in CO it was written as an amendment to the Constitution. That is the supreme law of the land.

2. How would I claim this income for taxes and shit?
This is the real question surrounding caregivers. The law states that caregivers can only charge enough to cover expenses. Caregivers can maybe chime in here on the ins and outs of how they work it.

3. At what point do I need to get an inspector to check out my plants and everything.
As a private caregiver nothing is ever inspected. Law Enforcement is likely the only officials to visit. If your paperwork is in order, they should walk.

4. What level of security is required by law for this kind of setup (under 30 plants)?
None. Just whatever you deem necessary for yourself. Understand that firearms at a grow location are a very bad idea.

5. Is there anything I am overlooking?
Probably a lot... :)

Cheers

Replies in BOLD

B

brewmaster

That is correct that it is still federally illegal to do this but is it not correct that the federal government is not going to go after anyone under 99 plants? Has the Obama Administration not said that it is up to the states to decide on their medical marijuana status?

R

RMCG

That is correct that it is still federally illegal to do this but is it not correct that the federal government is not going to go after anyone under 99 plants? Has the Obama Administration not said that it is up to the states to decide on their medical marijuana status?

Dorje

Dorje

There's a lot of restrictions on caregivers, including a provision to require you to register and and only sell to your (5 max) patients, who can screw you by signing up with another cg or mmc and not telling you, leaving you open to prosecution.

There are far fewer restrictions on patients, and I still don't see any restriction on patient to patient transfer of 2 oz or less of meds. I would get a dr.'s rec for increased plant count and weight and forget about the whole caregiver thing.

S

SoCoMMJ

99 plants only relates to federal sentencing guidelines. Mandatory minimum kicks in at that level I believe. Federal, 1 plant is a felony.

Obama is not your worry it's the DEA. They somewhat disregard the direction provided by rest of our government. Job security and all that ya know.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Regardless of anyone's comments, if you and your wife have your cards you guys can grow 12 plants, and there's not a county or municipality in this state that would give a rats ass.... 12 plants isn't even worth prosecuting, especially given that you and your wife are sick. There'd probably be a line of lawyers wanting the case so they could get the publicity. My suggestion is to learn to grow for yourself before you start a career as a caregiver for others. Maybe you won't like the job, or it's more work than you realized.
But, you have a right to try! :)

D

DoobyScoo

Anyways, this on its own could pay more than my current salary probably almost double. So I am beginning to think about switching careers into private caregiving more and more recently but am left with several hurdles.
Just remember, to those against MMJ, you will still be a 'Drug Dealer'.
:evilgrin0040:

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Regardless of anyone's comments, if you and your wife have your cards you guys can grow 12 plants, and there's not a county or municipality in this state that would give a rats ass.... 12 plants isn't even worth prosecuting, especially given that you and your wife are sick. There'd probably be a line of lawyers wanting the case so they could get the publicity. My suggestion is to learn to grow for yourself before you start a career as a caregiver for others. Maybe you won't like the job, or it's more work than you realized.
But, you have a right to try! :)

http://i393.invalid.com/albums/pp14/spookier/waynes-world-monkeys-might-fly-out-.jpg

C

canaguy27

don't quit your day job. it is not that difficult to manage a small garden.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

What makes you assume you can earn double what you're making now as a caregiver?

Remember, you can only legally provide medicine to your 5 primary patients who have signed you as their caregiver. How much do you think they could smoke each month? The average price per oz is 200. Do the math. With the 5 patient restriction it is virtually impossible to make a living solely from caregiving without breaking the law and selling on the black market. If you want to be 100% legit, then caregiving is just a side gig/hobby/project at this point. Don't quit your day job.

D

DoobyScoo

Oh, don't listen to them.
Quit your dayjob.
Start killing it, if you believe in yourself then nothing else matters.
I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of your first crop for top dollar.
You know, treat yourself to a few things also.

Like big screen t.v.s, blunts, 40s and bitches!

D

DoobyScoo

"And you're rapping about Homosexuals and Vicodin!", Steve Berman
"I can't sell this shit!"
"Tower Records told me to shove this record up my ass! Do you know
what it feels like to be told to have a record shoved up your ass?"

GhostFace

GhostFace

What makes you assume you can earn double what you're making now as a caregiver?

Remember, you can only legally provide medicine to your 5 primary patients who have signed you as their caregiver. How much do you think they could smoke each month? The average price per oz is 200. Do the math. With the 5 patient restriction it is virtually impossible to make a living solely from caregiving without breaking the law and selling on the black market. If you want to be 100% legit, then caregiving is just a side gig/hobby/project at this point. Don't quit your day job.

^^yeah that
people bitch moan and complain that the state/law makes all these rules..if people had not been so greedy/Shady maybe this MMJ thing would not be so fucked up the way it is right now!

i grow because i like to grow and smoke..i could care less if i get stuck with a few zips of dank cause i grow my own and smoke what i grow_ i never have been and never will be in it for the money!

Top Bottom