carpet in grow room?

• Thread starter Jimmy Smash
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimmy Smash

hi all,

i am moving soon, so i am setting up a new show. i problem is the room i want to use has carpet. i dont want to remove the carpet, because i am renting. i need some words of wisdom, thanks in advance.

JS

J

jimbobthe3rd

Cover the entire shit up with plastic? Panda/Mylar whatever you like. Or use a tent in the room.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

^^^Either way, do NOT NOT NOT spill water or nute solution. If it gets in the carpet (especially the padding underneath), you're just screaming for fungal attacks. If you use plastic, use many layers and tend your garden in bare or stocking feet.

sky high

sky high

Gonna be cheaper in the long run to remove it and then pay a professional to re-lay the same peice when you move than it is to fuck it all up.

good luck

s h

B

Big Brother

No carpet. Carpet holds all kinds of germs, dirt, and mites. Cover it up with a thick mill plastic or strip it and put down linoleum.

H

HappyGrower

Use a roll of 6ml black or white plastic! Doing that on Carpeting is Asking for Problems!!

Take Care, HappyGrower :pimp:

T

Tesseract

If you put plastic on the carpet, it will move and tear with time. Get something hard to put down on the carpet like plywood sheets ect... then cover that with panda film. It will supply a stable surface for you to move freely.

Carpet and water do not mix well!

T

F

frostedlove

PLywood and a tent would be the safest!
Tents are sealed up and keep everything contained..

Remember there are 1000 different ways to kill a cat.
Figure your budget and also how many lights and plants and such. Just telling us a room does not spell out all the options.

also soil or hydro? Indoor gardening is MESSY! You have taken your outdoor garden and moved it inside! You WILL knock something over and you will spill stuff. Watering can be messy depending on how you do it..

all things to think about.........

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Plastic can rip easily, need to be thick. Have also used a tarp but I find it is safest to get a pond liner. I got one made by firestone that is 45mil thick. Put on floor then tape up the walls. Can put in a 2x4 or something near the door to make raised area to keep the water in. (in case of a flood) More expensive than plastic but will be safer and last longer.

A tip. Put squares of Duct tape over the areas you staple. This provides reinforcement so the staples don't pull through. Gorilla duct tape I find is strongest but can peel off the top layer of sheetrock. (for taping/stapling) the pond liner to the walls

Or grow inside a kiddy pool :)

sedate

sedate

altitude said:
If you use plastic, use many layers and tend your garden in bare or stocking feet

A decent sheet of panda film usually works for me.

But definately watch the shoes-in-the-growroom - I tore my first sheet up in no time not really paying attention.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Plastic can rip easily, need to be thick. Have also used a tarp but I find it is safest to get a pond liner. I got one made by firestone that is 45mil thick. Put on floor then tape up the walls. Can put in a 2x4 or something near the door to make raised area to keep the water in. (in case of a flood) More expensive than plastic but will be safer and last longer.

A tip. Put squares of Duct tape over the areas you staple. This provides reinforcement so the staples don't pull through. Gorilla duct tape I find is strongest but can peel off the top layer of sheetrock. (for taping/stapling) the pond liner to the walls

Or grow inside a kiddy pool :)
Aye, if not what sky high says (personally, I think this would be the best bet, safest for all including landlord) then this. This!

Oh, the Gorilla tape... yeah. Wish I'da known that before I used it to... That stuff sticks.

T

Tesseract

As for your guys problems with tape, I only use reflective duct tape found in the venting section. Its reflective, which is sweet, and it sticks to everything. It will stick to sheetrock, plaster walls, wood, stone, ect...

There is nothing more in life I hate then cheap duct tape. Unless its ignorance and traffic!

T

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gorilla tape sticks, Tesser. TOO WELL at times, that's the problem. I didn't realize it could pull apart sheetrock until it was, well, too late. REALLY fucked it up.

T

Tesseract

Gorilla tape sticks, Tesser. TOO WELL at times, that's the problem. I didn't realize it could pull apart sheetrock until it was, well, too late. REALLY fucked it up.

When he said peel off the sheetrock, I took it as it would come off the sheetrock easily. It didn't make much sense to me being a good duct tape, but that was my awful perception so thanks for clearing that up. Still though, why not have reflective properties if you can?

T

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
When he said peel off the sheetrock, I took it as it would come off the sheetrock easily. It didn't make much sense to me being a good duct tape, but that was my awful perception so thanks for clearing that up. Still though, why not have reflective properties if you can?

T

Was just a heads up since the op is a renter.

Seamaiden already explained.
No it does not come off the sheetrock or painted walls easily without pulling up the paint or top layer of paper on the sheetrock.
It sticks really well. On another hand, Some duct tape does not stick well enough.

Duct tape is thicker than reflective tape so works better for tear reinforcement imho. Use whatever tape you like or learn from others experiences. Pond liner is heavy and needs strong tape and staples to hold it up.

I am all for removing the carpet. The op said tha is not an option, but sometime you gotta learn the hard way first.....

When in doubt, Do the math:
1. Cost of Removing carpet and re-installing
2. Cost of installing pond liner
3. Cost of removing carpet and buying new carpet if detroyed.
4 cost of removing carpet and re-installing and also using pond liner. (better safe than sorry)

lets say for example sake. (not exact prices only example)

1 is 100.00, 2 is 100.00 and 3 is 600.00 4 is 200.00

When I look at it that way beforehand it make more sense. Rather than taking the risk and finding out the high cost. I am all about better safe than sorry....

I have been lucky with the pond liner.

Here is another reason for security.

If renting and you get a water leak the landlord can see then then can enter without any notice due to emergency. Then wtf will you do. Well worth the cost of being safe.

R

ReCway

just tear it our.. Carpet cost like 200 bucks. Youll make alot of more than that in your grow hopefully so charge it to the game.. Carpet is Bad for grows .. HIdes all kinds of nasty shit.

S

sourkush91

Hey man i dont know how big your room is but i would go with a tent that is close to the size you need... it would be alot less hassle. Pop up a tent and let the ladys live.=)

J

Jimmy Smash

thanks for all the advice guys and girls. i did not sign any lease yet, so i guess i will find a different place with a wood floors. or even better a place with a basement.

i planning on doing an equipment upgrade with the new show. i was thinking about 2 1k's digital ballast w/ magnum xxxls 6s. i am not sure which brand to buy, but i was leaning more towards galaxy. i want them to be dimmable, and i really like the idea of a curcuit breaker on them. do electronic ballast save any electricity compared to the magnetics? any imput on a good brand would be great.

soil is way like it, and i am trying supersoil for the first time, i hope it works and tastes as good as everyone says. i am having a lot of trouble finding 12in square pots, if anyone knows where to get them in Socal locally. i would love to know. i really want to attempt a tight SOG setup with 9 plants per square foot. if anybody has any experience with this kind of set up, i was wondering how many mothers do i need to keep to support 300 + clones per cycle? thanks for all the resonses.

JS

Top Bottom