Casual's 12-site BioBucket grow

• Thread starter Casual
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Casual

Kuz, yea, it's a neat system, but I could see an area here or there for improvements, but it works very well exactly as detailed in BT's thread. There's not a huge amount of difference in the principle between UC, MPB's and Bio-Buckets. It all boils down to high changeover rates, beneficials and available space for root mass. I think ANY of the modern systems are capable of producing outstanding results, each has it's pro's and con's. MPB's and UC's both need a lot of room and a lot of light, but AMAZING yields. The BB's can be setup in a smaller space. There's even a thread where a guy is doing two of them in cabinet.
Really it's a personal preference. As soon as my space allows, I'll be going with a UC system I think... still reading on the MPB's, but the UC is significantly less expensive to DIY.

Again, just throwing my thoughts out there! ;)

Caz

G

gloriousgreen

Very nice set-up and very clean.I am looking into this for a next grow.

C

Casual

Update...

Spiked my rez today for the first time since start up. EC before was 1.4, pH 6.4
I added 150ml Micro, 300ml Bloom and 23ml pH down...
Current readings are 1.9EC, pH 5.9.
I'm considering adding a bit more pH down to get down to 5.5-5.6 but will let things run a day or so before changing anything else... I don't want to chase my tail. Most of the girls are looking very happy. The AH3's are perking up a bit now as well. The one 2nd from the back on the left has the smallest roots of them all, but the roots are going, so I think she's just going to be a runt.
Any opinions regarding dropping the lamp down? I've left it about 5' over the plants so I didn't shock the shit out of them, but it's been 9 days now.

Caz

GRIMG 8586
GRIMG 8587
GRIMG 8588
GRIMG 8589
UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Bio Bucket Beauty Pagent Blue Ribbon (3 X Fast)

Looks like your off to a great start....that system should quickly make you regret the spacing :)

Keep on flexing.

L

Lost

Can I make a tiny suggestion? You know how you have the elbows pouring water in.. Could you add a 6-8 inch piece so it bottom feeds and you do not get stagnent sections of the bucket? Just a thought. :)

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

That's a great suggestion Lost....only draw back I can think of is the loss of surface aeration from the falling water in the bucket.

Plus with air stones in each bucket there should be plenty of nutrient displacement in the churning cauldrons to alleviate any stagnation issues...IMO.

K

kuz

Do you have a link to the fitting's used on the 3/4" black inlet tubinig? I cant tell what you used but it does look a lot cleaner than most diy jobs.

C

Casual

Hi Kuz. I don't have links but all that stuff was picked up at the local hardware store.
The tube pushes onto a 3/4" barb fitting that screwed into a 90degree PVC fitting that's threaded 3/4" on one end and 3/4" slip fit on the other.
On the slip fit end is a short piece of 3/4" PVC, which then goes through the Uniseal, and
then on the end inside the bucket is a 3/4"-1/2" 90degree fitting which turns the water flow straight down.

This is the best pic I have. Main reason I did it this way is due to my room being so small... With the method everyone else was using, the hoses bowed WAY out and it was one more thing I had to walk around. This setup made things much lower profile.

I very much kept to the 'spirit' of BigTokes design, just made some minor tweeks here and there to suit me.

Caz

Buckets3
K

kuz

So its just plain old hose clamp I am seeing.

I like the drain pipes with the 90' elbow, you would think thats like 12 small waterfalls. Better maybe, than a bowed drain. Thought crossed my mind about using a rippled pipe for the main drain to create more turbulence.

Your smart not to wander too much, at least until the next run. I like Lost's idea, pumping the water to the bottom of the bucket.

C

Casual

Yep Kuz, you got it. Instead of regular metal hoseclamps though, I used the plastic 'snap-together' ratcheting clamps. I squeezed them on as tight as I could by hand, then used channel-locks (Big Pliers) and gave them an extra click or two to make sure they were tight.
The main reason I went with the PVC for the bucket drains was that I couldn't find the proper 'sump' hose, with the flat areas every 12" or so. I got some 1 1/8" pond hose, but it's very stiff and made me spread the buckets much farther from the drain in order for them to work right... I had no room to move in there then. Had a spent a bit more time mocking things up, I could have narrowed the system up another 4"-6", but I figured everything was already closer than I really wanted it. At least with the gap down the middle, the insides of the girls will get plenty of light for awhile.

I'd been kicking that idea around for awhile, of putting the inlets on the bottom. If you build something for your buckets to where there's easy access to at least part of the bottom, The advantage would be increased agitation in the buckets, with the caveat that with the water flowing straight up, there's going to be a higher risk of roots in the drains. Also, this method would require a check valve just after the main water pump, because as soon as the power goes out, ALL of the water in those buckets is going to be heading back to the rez. In my system, that would be BAD! I have 60 gallons in my system in the buckets, and right now, system running, there's 10gallons in the rez. Rez size is 25 gallons total capacity. I've played with my system... When I unplug my pump, the water in the lines runs back to the rez through the pump, and the level comes up about an inch. Still under where the 4" drain enters the rez. I don't use a check valve, as with the system built like this, the water in the buckets can't be sucked back into the rez. I've read that some folks have extended the inlet all the way to the bottom of the bucket. I'd think better for agitation, but if the power goes out, you'll siphon all of the water out of the buckets and have a flood.

I had thought of a way to decrease the risk of a flood and still run water to the bottom...run a piece of pvc to the bottom, but drill 1/8" -1/4" holes in the sides of the pvc all the way along this piece, which would act both the start a venturi type effect in the bucket and an antisiphon. As soon as the top hole is uncovered, suction is lost and the siphon with stop. If the top hole in this down pipe was right at the water line, in theory, you'd still be safe when power is lost. If this grow goes well and I stick with Biobuckets, I'm going to make this mod and see.
Of course, it works well now, so why mess with it! ;)

Caz

L

Lost

Hey, if you eventually do decide to go bottom feed, just plumb this piece into your pump. If the pump stops then the door slams shut. I like to make a bypass for it as well for res changes. :)

C

Casual

Thanks Lost... that's exactly what I was referring to!
I can definitely see an advantage in flowing from the bottom up, and in that case, a check valve is a MUST!

Caz

M

MediMary

thanks casual.. Im not an expert at the rules here.. but everyone is really cool. I think logic is pretty understanding guy, as well as most the mods.. the farmer is awesome site = )

C

Casual

So far, I'm very much enjoying both sites. Between the two of them, pretty much any info I've ever looked for, I've found. Very impressive knowledge on both sites.
Glad I could be of assistance!

Caz

C

Casual

Here are the latest pics... they're really cruising now it seems!! Leaves look a bit yellow, but they all seem healthy. Even the Haze's are starting to really take off. I believe I should have let the clones root longer before putting them in the buckets... lesson learned!!

Caz

GRIMG 8590
GRIMG 8591
M

MediMary

just read all 68 pages on big tokes bios(archived too), thanks for the link.
really interesting read...
your set up is looking tight..

C

Casual

Ok, the 'flip' day is finally here.
I'm shortening their day up today... lights will be going off at 6pm. About 15 minutes later, after the lamp has cooled down, I'll swap bulbs and flip the ballast over to HPS.
I bumped the nutes today and brought them up to EC 1.96
Did some last minute pruning. Amazing how bushy the WW's are!

I've noticed, Only on the Hazes, the lower fan leaves are yellowed/mottled, but the bud branches that are right next to them look beautiful. Anyone have any idea about this? The Mom has the same issue...
I've included pics of the room, right before I flip over the lamp, and a couple of pics of the oddball Haze leaves...

Any info is much appreciated!

Caz

060110IMG 8592
060110IMG 8593
060110IMG 8595
060110IMG 8597
Top Bottom