CDL the new CMH

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

We have been testing out a new ballast design with CDL 315w Philips green power lamp.
1st run within Magnus XXXX 2 mounted inside.
Cdl the new cmh
the first run with glass was ok. And they have been replaced with a unvented individual hoods.
Cdl the new cmh 2
anybody else use these lamps

Peace

sixstring

sixstring

They look tiny in both those hoods lol.how was intensity down into the middle of the plants and how big were the plants?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I been wanting to run one but it has not been easy to find a d-pap.
You running the bloom bulb?
What ballast you running?

homebrew420

homebrew420

They are small in the fixtures. Yields were considerably smaller than a 1000 in the same fixture, so now we are changing it a bit.
they are a cooler running ballast lamps I can laser temp when running later.
we are running a BoulderLighting ballast.
And I was unaware of a bloom lamp..

Peace

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
They are small in the fixtures. Yields were considerably smaller than a 1000 in the same fixture, so now we are changing it a bit.
they are a cooler running ballast lamps I can laser temp when running later.
we are running a BoulderLighting ballast.
And I was unaware of a bloom lamp..

Peace
Thanks for sharing, Sunlight carries both bulbs.

homebrew420

homebrew420

[quoteI"Desertboy, post: 1200160, member: 10751"]is it this lamp

in which case it's a ceramic metal halide[/quote]
Thats It. Cdl is new form cmh with much higher efficiency and long lamp life with less degradation of life time. 2 year lamp life for us growers. I feel that these lamps will undoubtedly improve veg growth but am skeptical of flowering yields claimed. After a run I would venture to say they produce nearly as much per watt as a 1000...maybe. growing in the same fashion, with plants over 3.5'. Might do better with smaller plants?

Peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

They look tiny in both those hoods lol.how was intensity down into the middle of the plants and how big were the plants?
Plants about 4,' too tall for sure. Light penetration was FAR better than what I would have expected. Still solid flowers halfway through plants. Quality was no better that a 1000w. Just smaller. I was hoping for some other cats to check this thread out and enlighten me to mistakes exp or any pertinent info for maximizing potential.

Peace

Desertboy

Desertboy

2 year useful life offsets the high costs I found normal MH lamps to need replacing after every grow when used for flowering or 12-16 weeks of veg usage where as I've used HPS for 4 grows and only on the 4th noticed a drop in yield.

stutter

stutter

i have been a CMH grower for years now. running dual 400w CMH lamps in a single hood with results equal to a digital 1000w HPS but better quality IMO.

that said im yet to try the new lamps, they havnt been properly released over here in Aus yet but i have been lucky enough to secure one of the D-Papillon set ups for testing. i will be sure to show my results here

I suspect they are just a money grab as the old CMH was a cheap lamp to buy, lasted a long time and could run on a basic magnetic ballast, very cheap very effective. Phillips figured out growers were using them and what do you know they discontinue the old cheap effective lamp. introduce a new lamp that does the exact same thing except now it needs a special ballast with a special base fitting. it costs around twice as much.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I don't believe chm have ever been able to run on a standard mh ballast. In fact the first if I remember correctly pulse start were the first then the made conversion lamps for hps ballast. These new ones are digital and run cool enough and are rated for open fixture use. new tech is never cheap.
@stutter you are pulling over a lb per fixture?
A little more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Peace

stutter

stutter

Hi Homebrew, technically i cant really give you a solid answer on whether or not im pulling a lb per fixture. i will try and explain what my grow is like and you can make up your own mind.

this is one of my current rooms, its a small scrog 1 foot x 3 foot. it is powered by a single 400w CMH and is just starting to flower.

IMG 6428

i pull 6-10 oz from this small space consistently and i honestly think if i doubled the screen i could come close to a lb from just the one 400w CMH although thats only an estimate. completely unproven so please dont quote me on that but i believe it is doable.

now moving onto the dual 400w space and you will see its quite a beast and yes i can pull pounds form this area with ease. i could pull even more if i spent more time on canopy control etc. (might be worth mentioning here i use no bloom boosters etc. simply base nutes and bennies throughout the whole grow so what you see here is au naturale yield wise)

File

^^^^ at around 5-6 weeks. after this they started falling all over each other so i stopped taking full room shots lol. the rest of the shots are around 8 weeks

IMG 6439

^^^^ you can see in this pic that the penetration to lower bud sites is quite good

IMG 6470

IMG 6477

IMG 6486

the dual 400's yield as well as my 1000w solistek ballast running solistek digital HPS lamps. Only the quality on the CMH 400 combo is better IMO better plant health over all. i dont know if its because of the light spectrum or just its easier to keep the plants from getting heat and light stress under the dual 400's compared to the 1000w but i know they work well for me.

as for the new lamp the 315w i havnt got mine yet but a friend of mine has done some testing with his own light meters etc and the results are very promising, i cant quote the figures simply because i cant remember them all of them off the top of my head. he is suggesting though that its around the equivalant in PAR to a 600w HPS.

i plan on building a whole new space for the 315w. it will be a 1m x 1m space and i will scrog a clone im familiar with and see how it goes in there. if it can turn a decent yield in a 1m x 1m space on its own i will be very impressed and i will probably get a second one and double them up in there.

sorry about the long winded reply, i hope i actually answered your question somewhere in there lol

Last edited:

2DogWalker

In my quest for a sealed room, my crazy brain came up with an option...(If Dpaps could be found in the mitten)...

What do you think @homebrew420 on replacing 600W HPS AC Hoods with the D paps, Could I do one for one, seal up the room and still keep it cool using the same AC?

Just a thought, I would initially like to replace (1) 600W MH in my veg with 2 Dpaps to begin with though...If anyone in Michigan has seen them lmk please...

2DOG

homebrew420

homebrew420

Thanks for the info @stutter
as for replacing the lamps and sealing the room up@2dogwalker i think that is very possible. You can litterally hold back of your hand within 2 inches of the lamp and keep it there. Despite what the temp readings say its nowhere near as hot as a 400mh.

Peace

Top Bottom