Celebrating 20 years of growing by DWC

• Thread starter CowDog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CowDog

CowDog

Hey there fellow farmers. I started out growing bagseed weed in a tiny apartment closet with an HPS ballast that would make OSHA blush. Folks, I’m lucky to be alive. I’ve made all the mistakes and destroyed a cannabis plant in every way imaginable.

I’ve been doing DWC for 20 years, but there’s always more to learn. Don’t hesitate to chime in, tell me how jacked up everything is.

Why did I choose these strains? Because that’s what my local shop had. These ladies were purchased as clones that were rooted in rockwool then in soil. After carefully rinsing the soil away, they were transferred to net pots with hydroton in a recirculating DWC system. After just 10 days veg, we’re onto flower.

Air temp is controlled. Water is chilled, I will never be doing a res change. I’m a super nerd, so am plotting the pH and ppm below.

Flower day 8

Duct Tape
Kush Mints
Strawberry Gary
Banana Cream Cake x Jealousy

GH nutrients
ppm: 325
µS/cm: 690
tap water ppm: 10

water temp: 62-65 F
water pH: 5.7-6.0

air temp: 70-75 F
RH: 50%

4’ x 4’ tent
LED 250 W full spectrum (additional light on the way)
Light is 22” above canopy

Black circles mark adjustments, nutrients added and/or pH adjusted

Celebrating 20 years of growing by dwc

Celebrating 20 years of growing by dwc 2

Celebrating 20 years of growing by dwc 3

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thank you, stoked to be here, great community.
It really is a great community! Im newer to the scene and have received a lot of reassuring and constructive information here!

M

monkey47

Wow I didn't even knew dwc existed 20 years ago. I will forever miss the taste my organicly grown weed had but dwc is just such a hassle free way to grow. I also mainly topfeed and don't change out the entire reservoir. I just ad new solution every know and then with a higher ec and a ph between 5,8 and 6.

Never had problems. I also don't run a sterile envirement.

CowDog

CowDog

Wow I didn't even knew dwc existed 20 years ago. I will forever miss the taste my organicly grown weed had but dwc is just such a hassle free way to grow. I also mainly topfeed and don't change out the entire reservoir. I just ad new solution every know and then with a higher ec and a ph between 5,8 and 6.

Never had problems. I also don't run a sterile envirement.
Yep, keep it simple is pretty good advice most of the time.

Almost nothing here is perfect, but everything is mostly good.

CowDog

CowDog

Flower day 9
2-19-2024

Duct Tape
Kush Mints
Strawberry Gary
Banana Cream Cake x Jealousy

Saw some mild signs of nutrient deficiency several days ago. Took action on day 7, increasing ppm from 230 to 325. One day later ppm was 318, they’re still hungry. Increasing ppm to 350 on day 9.

Moving to GH bloom:micro:veg 3:2:1 nutrient ratio.

IMG 1312

IMG 1309

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
RDWC was the “way to grow” couple years back. It’s given way to coco fibers and good old fashioned dirt as of late. Comes with its own set of issues which is why most moved on. I ran it myself but went back to my beginnings, flood/drain. Talk about old school lol.

My first grow log here was in 2007, so I know there is a vast amount of info here if you look

M

monkey47

RDWC was the “way to grow” couple years back. It’s given way to coco fibers and good old fashioned dirt as of late. Comes with its own set of issues which is why most moved on. I ran it myself but went back to my beginnings, flood/drain. Talk about old school lol.

My first grow log here was in 2007, so I know there is a vast amount of info here if you look
Why did you go back from rdwc ? I would love to do rdwc but I don't have the space. Just having to deal with on reservoir seems ideal.

CowDog

CowDog

Why did you go back from rdwc ? I would love to do rdwc but I don't have the space. Just having to deal with on reservoir seems ideal.
Curious why too. I'm a big fan of RDWC. I think if you're unable to control water temperature it's a nightmare, but if you have the space for an external reservoir and can get a chiller, I'd highly recommend it. My chiller has lasted 10 years.

I connect my buckets with 2" pipe, aqua seal fittings so it breaks down quick, easy to clean.
Cheap water pumps last forever.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Curious why too. I'm a big fan of RDWC. I think if you're unable to control water temperature it's a nightmare, but if you have the space for an external reservoir and can get a chiller, I'd highly recommend it. My chiller has lasted 10 years.

I connect my buckets with 2" pipe, aqua seal fittings so it breaks down quick, easy to clean.
Cheap water pumps last forever.

View attachment 2124014
Those systems rock for sure! Space and my goal of running perpetual brought me back to F/D. There's more productive systems out there but the simplicity of it sold me

Top Bottom