Ceramic Metal Halide growers?

• Thread starter BubbaG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

Boy it sure seems like all that flicker would transfer into less growth cause it being dimmed so much?

Toaster79

Toaster79

Plants don't see that flickering just like you don't. If the ballast is squeezing out nominal power than thats what the plants get no matter if the bulb runs at 20 or 200 kHz

sixstring

sixstring

How do you/we know the plants dont see it?
I see alot of digital ballast advertising flicker free operation. Why would we care then I guess is my question? Bulb life? When I first started indoors I was given a real old 400w hps security light.my bro said it was over his dads garage for at least 10 years.i never put a new bulb in it and ran it well over a year.always fired right up, but those plants always kinda sucked in that corner . I'm sure the lumens had gone to shit, but it fired just fine.that fucker had the worst flicker, almost made me sick sometimes lol.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Because the chemical reactions don't happend that quick. The plants are just absorbing provided energy. And about the flickering part and humans, you've answered that question yourself. Some people get seizure because of flickering some get sick some like me get headaches and some are just not sensitive to that. Think about it, it takes a plant approx. two hours to wake up from sleep.

sixstring

sixstring

Who says it takes a plant 2 hours to wake up? Lol.we are getting off track.less light = less plant growth or no? Flicker is less light in my eyes.
here lets go further off track, maybe bad flicker we dont see as humans plays a role in pot plants going herm?

Toaster79

Toaster79

What do you actually know about electronics, switching power supplies and duty cycles?

sixstring

sixstring

What do you actually know about electronics, switching power supplies and duty cycles?
lol i think im a bit more knowledgeable than your average joe,im a ham operator :confused:
are you getting pissed because i have a different view or opinion on light flicker and plant growth or sleep?if so im sorry but sometimes im just not gunna listen to everything i read on forums.my plants wake up and pray to the lights within minutes,not hours.just my humble observations of course.
yo heres some of my equipment...power supplies..check...electronics...check...duty cycles,we are trying to talk about;)
the radio is unlocked from 2,300mhz to 3,650mhz but im licensed for 2 meter,HF and fm repeaters also :D
Ham rig 003

sorry my growing gets in the way oof my cleaning of electronics lol
Ham rig 001

but really man,we were talking about lamp flicker,dude posted a vid and i can clearly see one lamp flickers waaaay more than the other.i just thought maybe it would effect plant growth or even possible may have an effect on herms.chill out.:cool:

sixstring

sixstring

Plants don't see that flickering just like you don't. If the ballast is squeezing out nominal power than thats what the plants get no matter if the bulb runs at 20 or 200 kHz
now this one bothers me to lol.so plants see like we see?so if i see a bright green t5ho(which i have in my flower pad) does that mean my plants see it just as bright?C'MON MAN (espn style) plants dont have eyeballs ,totally dif responses and triggers involved .you had me at 200khz :)

Toaster79

Toaster79

You know what I'm trying to point out here so don't try to be an ass. I'm not pissed at all because people have different points of views and understanding. If it wasn't so we would be robots not humans. This is an open forum meaning we should be sharing knowledge and opinions. And as I wrote, plants absorb energy provided to them as light. So if your light is running on 50kHz @100% duty cycle or at 200kHz @25% duty cycle the plant will be receiving the exact same ammount of energy. How will planty react to different frequencies is a domain of someone who did some research in that area. But knowing plants react differently on different type of music I'd say there just may be something to that. Now start reading thoroughly through posts and chill out yourself.

JamesWatt

JamesWatt

@We Solidarity

No, the Phillips ballast is not electronic at least not the one that is housed inside the sun system 315 LEC

And how can one be sure that these claims are true, just cause a company claims sq wave length/ low freq doesnt make it so and with these ballast being made in china and grobal having no real relationship with them it again makes me wonder.

Grobal is not the only Boulder based company who is selling a CHM with a Welthink ballast

Last edited:
Billyboat

Billyboat

I'll chime in here...I use grobal units as well as summit units, grobals on welthinks and summits on Phillips ballasts.

There is ZERO difference. Apples and apples, I've seen a facility running all grobals and the company running it is straight killing the game in Colorado...I doubt there are any who could compete once that operation is scaled up. I designed a facility last year using summit units in veg and honestly I'm noticing better growth out of the grobals with their hood, which is definitely different than most other hoods I've used.

Do you like these units over the Sunsytem LEC?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@We Solidarity

No, the Phillips ballast is not electronic at least not the one that is housed inside the sun system 315 LEC

And how can one be sure that these claims are true, just cause a company claims sq wave length/ low freq doesnt make it so and with these ballast being made in china and grobal having no real relationship with them it again makes me wonder.

Grobal is not the only Boulder based company who is selling a CHM with a Welthink ballast

See that's just funny to me because in the spec sheet for the Phillips agro bulb it says to use with electronic ballasts. Maybe you mean digital? Either way I haven't had a problem with any of the 25 grobals ive been using but its only been maybe a month of use. So far I think I like them more can't tell if its the hood or what but the canopy in veg is completely uniform with minimal training and the plants rage like they're outside...

BubbaG

BubbaG

Do you like these units over the Sunsytem LEC?

Bump. @We Solidarity ... so do you like the Grobal over the Sun Systems? I have the Sun Systems LEC 315, and I like them they are solid pieces of equipment, if you like Grobal better or as well though, I'll have a look.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I haven't personally used the sunsystem but seeing them in demo they are definitely just as bright at the other 315s out there...I went with grobals because they were local and the guys already had solid rep backing up their units, plus I got to see them in action which is always awesome. Whichever unit you choose I think you'll be happy.

Billyboat

Billyboat

I haven't personally used the sunsystem but seeing them in demo they are definitely just as bright at the other 315s out there...I went with grobals because they were local and the guys already had solid rep backing up their units, plus I got to see them in action which is always awesome. Whichever unit you choose I think you'll be happy.

Thanks for the info!

I've got 12 SS LEC's and I love them I also have some dpaps but I like the LEC better, I'm looking to expand the veg room and just wanted to make the right purchase. I've been paying 375 out the door for the LEC 315s.

Cheers

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Anyone using 315s to supplement HPS, care to comment on choosing the 942 vs Agro lamps?

BubbaG

BubbaG

Anyone using 315s to supplement HPS, care to comment on choosing the 942 vs Agro lamps?
I would offer my opinion, that being the elite Agro has a superior spectrum on the eyes... but there's dudes in here running CMH on commercial grows - hopefully they'll pipe in with real world numbers :-)

C

Charlesr

Thanks for the info!

I've got 12 SS LEC's and I love them I also have some dpaps but I like the LEC better, I'm looking to expand the veg room and just wanted to make the right purchase. I've been paying 375 out the door for the LEC 315s.

Cheers
Hi,

Any chance you can tell us who sells them at that price? I have been paying $620 in AK! ACK! I couldn't even get GrowMI to ship them here.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Hi,

Any chance you can tell us who sells them at that price? I have been paying $620 in AK! ACK! I couldn't even get GrowMI to ship them here.

Its a local shop of mine, a group of us bought 100 of them in order to get that price that low, otherwise they are in the 400 range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom